Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-24-2017, 03:23 AM   #2281
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Makarov View Post
So they flew Arya up to Calgary for that 30 second scene?
I suspect there are more episodes to come.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:47 AM   #2282
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike F View Post
You're obviously more forgiving than I am. This show has been great because it's taken time to build context, character motivation, etc., before making big moves. If it's now just big moves bang, bang, bang with none of the usual context and motivation building, it will be a lesser show, IMO.

Jon wanting to meet with Dany was understandable, but running off on his own just like that?? And no, in a massive naval battle, it's not inevitable that the command ship is overridden and the entire command crew slaughtered or captured. This was a really lazy way to move through that plot point.
Spoiler!
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 03:57 AM   #2283
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
What's Jorah gonna get up to? Will Sam get kicked out of the Citadel for being a free thinker and they'll meet up with Jon and Dany?

How will Dany take the Seven Kingdoms without spilling blood? What's she gonna do without the fleet sailing to King's Landing?
It's possible Sam meeting Jorah and discovering the Dragonglass on Dragonstone means the Citadel has already served its purpose, so perhaps they'll journey to Dragonstone together. They may run across some difficulties on the way.

Dany's plan just took a big setback, as the Dornish army will now be unlikely to be available for the siege of King's Landing. Or their arrival there will be significantly delayed. That would leave only the Tyrrel army, and it may be diminished depending on how persuasive Cersei and Jaime were in persuading some of its bannermen to switch allegiance. Not to mention Olenna's advice to Dany to "be a dragon". King's Landing may be in for some fire and blood after all.

With regards to the wolves, aren't they filmed locally and CGIed into the show? I didn't think the actors were ever flown nearby to wherever the "wolf wranglers" do their thing.

Anyway, I like how the best laid plans are already unravelling a little bit. On paper, it looks like Dany could quite easily unite the North, the Vale, Dorne, and the Reach (Tyrell land and bannermen) against the Lannisters and King Landing. The setback at sea already complicates things, and I'm sure we'll see a few more setbacks as the series continues to its conclusion. I really, really, really want to see an Arya and Sansa reunion now that we're so very close to it. That will be such a satisfying event should it come to pass.

Last edited by Finger Cookin; 07-24-2017 at 04:00 AM.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 06:34 AM   #2284
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was a little amused by "we don't want to slaughter the people in Kings Landing, so instead we are going to starve them to death." I'm sure that will be appreciated.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 06:48 AM   #2285
saillias
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

The dialogue and direction last night was kinda bad.

"how long do I have"

"10 years. Maybe 20"

a minute later,

"You're not dying today, sir Jorah" <- wat
saillias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #2286
JFK
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by saillias View Post
The dialogue and direction last night was kinda bad.

"how long do I have"

"10 years. Maybe 20"

a minute later,

"You're not dying today, sir Jorah" <- wat
The dialogue is fine, you just missed some.

Sam's boss informed Jorah that if he was a common man he'd be exiled to Valyria that day. However since he's is of nobility he was given one extra day to "decide what to do". The long look and zoom in on his sword hinted that Jorah would off himself instead. Seemed to be accepted by the room.
JFK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JFK For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 07:02 AM   #2287
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

They kept cutting to shots of his sword because Jorah was going to kill himself, the honourable way for a anointed knight to die rather than become a stone man.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 07:15 AM   #2288
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, that episode was clunky. Super Euron was pretty silly in my view. That whole battle scene seemed really hard to watch. ####ty cutting and too much clutter on the screen (with added embers) to really take in everything that was happening. Also, am I crazy, or did they actually speed up some of that footage?

RIP Tyene Sand. You will be missed

Last edited by nik-; 07-24-2017 at 07:19 AM.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:42 AM   #2289
Burninator
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
RIP Tyene Sand. You will be missed
Unless I missed something. I thought her and her mother were still alive. The other two sisters were killed.
Burninator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:43 AM   #2290
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Were Ellaria and Yara captured or killed? Couldn't tell who was hanging from the ship at the end.

I thought it was another good episode, but I agree that it feels like a lot of great story here is getting rushed after all the setup in the first few seasons. That's just the fan in me always wanting more.
Ashasx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #2291
Jbo
NOT a cool kid

Exp:

Thought it was a great episode, just two things that bugged me.

1) The scene with Grey Worm and Missandei was awkward and went on pretty long. Compared with the rest of he episode, which was moving at a quick pace, felt like it went on too long.

2) Thought the mis-translation of "The Prince (Princess) that was promised" was kind of dumb. Just kind of a "oh by the way, you have been wrong about that prophecy you believe in the entire time"
Jbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 08:55 AM   #2292
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the dead ones at the end are the two Sand Snakes we saw get killed. Ellaria, Yara, and the other Sand Snake (the one who is Ellaria's daughter) were taken by Euron.

Ellaria and her daughter will likely be Euron's gift to Cersei, so she can get revenge for Myrcella.
Old 07-24-2017, 08:56 AM   #2293
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I thought there were some awkward leaps in the job snow conversation on dragon stone, especially the explanation of prince or princess, how convienant. I really thought they nailed episode 1 but episode 2 felt like a two year old driving a SUV. Wreck less, sloppy and all over the place.

I really like the actor playing sams mentor though, he does a great job, that's been a very welcome addition.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:01 AM   #2294
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Some #### is about to go down in Winterfell with Sansa (Littlefinger) at the helm...
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:08 AM   #2295
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
With regards to the wolves, aren't they filmed locally and CGIed into the show? I didn't think the actors were ever flown nearby to wherever the "wolf wranglers" do their thing.
Maisi Williams was here over the Family Day weekend to film with the wolves.
http://calgaryherald.com/entertainme...aoke-at-duckys
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti

Last edited by Bobblehead; 07-24-2017 at 09:13 AM. Reason: spelling
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bobblehead For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 09:11 AM   #2296
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I thought there were some awkward leaps in the job snow conversation on dragon stone, especially the explanation of prince or princess, how convienant. I really thought they nailed episode 1 but episode 2 felt like a two year old driving a SUV. Wreck less, sloppy and all over the place.

I really like the actor playing sams mentor though, he does a great job, that's been a very welcome addition.
None other than Jim Broadbent. He's been one of my favorite actors for a very, very long time and has an impressive resume including Moulin Rouge, the Harry Potter films, Hot Fuzz, even as far back as Blackadder's Christmas Carol. If you felt like you've seen him before, you probably have, at least a dozen times. He's an extremely prolific character/supporting actor.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0000980/
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 09:12 AM   #2297
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Maisi Williams was her over the Family Day weekend to film with the wolves.
http://calgaryherald.com/entertainme...aoke-at-duckys
LMAO...I used to go to Ducky's for karaoke all the time. That seemed like forever ago. Good to see the place is still going.
Cali Panthers Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #2298
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I was still cringing this morning from Sam's amateur surgery. That scene transition was especially disgusting.
Mazrim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mazrim For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2017, 10:10 AM   #2299
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbo View Post
Thought it was a great episode, just two things that bugged me.

2) Thought the mis-translation of "The Prince (Princess) that was promised" was kind of dumb. Just kind of a "oh by the way, you have been wrong about that prophecy you believe in the entire time"
I think the mistranslation was a quick little joke the writers put in to make us temporarily think that now Daenerys is the "princess who was promised". But Melisandre quickly rejects the notion that the prophecy refers to Daenerys. Instead she sort of says "Yea, well, prophecies are tricky. But there is this guy Jon Snow who I've been backing, and you two need to meet".
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 10:19 AM   #2300
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Jorah the explorah was sure s####ing bricks there at "never done this before" Sam with that scalpel. Also really funny scene transition there. GOT sure loves to pick on the squeamish viewers.
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote