Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-17-2017, 01:38 PM   #721
Young_Guns
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Would Trevor Linden be a good comparison in this situation? Captained the Canucks, got traded away, and came back a few years later to finish up with Vancouver. I think he fit it in alright, contributed roughly 25-30 pts per year and provided veteran leadership and some grit. He did wear a letter if I am not mistaken but I don't think that is an issue. I wouldn't expect Iginla to wear any letters and I don't think he does either. It is likely the same expectation the fans here would have for Iginla now, putting up maybe 25-30 points and likely finishing off his career where it all began. Plus he has a solid chance at the playoffs here in Calgary, and possibly one more slim chance at the cup.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Young_Guns For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2017, 01:42 PM   #722
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
Would Trevor Linden be a good comparison in this situation? Captained the Canucks, got traded away, and came back a few years later to finish up with Vancouver. I think he fit it in alright, contributed roughly 25-30 pts per year and provided veteran leadership and some grit. He did wear a letter if I am not mistaken but I don't think that is an issue. I wouldn't expect Iginla to wear any letters and I don't think he does either. It is likely the same expectation the fans here would have for Iginla now, putting up maybe 25-30 points and likely finishing off his career where it all began. Plus he has a solid chance at the playoffs here in Calgary, and possibly one more slim chance at the cup.
Trevor Linden was the comparable that came to my mind as well.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:14 PM   #723
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Agree to disagree, but I think if Treliving told Iginla he would start on the 4th line, he would says thanks but no thanks. I can't recall any players of Iginla's stature that would sign a new contract knowing they would most likely be on the 4th line. Can you name any?
That might very well be the case that he would walk away

the reality is that Iggy had 27 points in 80 games last year: that's the definition of a bottom 6 player.

the guy is 40 years old... i would be very, very surprised if he thought he'd be getting top 6 time and line mates...

as for naming players, well, pretty much all guys that play into their late 30s and into their 40s end up taking diminished roles...I doubt Cammy is going to see top 6 line mates at 1 million per season...

If Iggy does sign here, i am sure he will have been told his role and he'd obviously be ok with it.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:32 PM   #724
Corral
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

My bet is he signs with one of the California teams. Great place to live - lots of ways to enjoy his millions, and all three teams are competitive and have a chance to win it all.
Old 07-17-2017, 02:54 PM   #725
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Young_Guns View Post
Not a bad comparison, but Linden was not really close to Iginla in talent level. Linden retired in 2008, but the last time he scored 20 goals was 1995-96.

Old 07-17-2017, 02:57 PM   #726
joejoe3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corral View Post
My bet is he signs with one of the California teams. Great place to live - lots of ways to enjoy his millions, and all three teams are competitive and have a chance to win it all.
Iggy to the ducks and CP will go ape
Old 07-17-2017, 02:59 PM   #727
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Sign with Boston, then hope the Bruins call up Agostino. That'd be kind of neat.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:00 PM   #728
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmoggyFlamesFan View Post
Trevor Linden was the comparable that came to my mind as well.
Ryan Smyth returning to Edmonton too.

The big difference is that Linden was 31 when he returned to Vancouver and Smyth was 35 when he went back to Edmonton. Linden played 6 more seasons in Vancouver and Smyth had 3 more in Edmonton.

If Iginla was considering signing with the Flames, I'm sure he'd call up Linden and Smyth to get their thoughts. Also, Iggy was here when Vernon returned and when Fleury attempted his comeback, so I'm sure he'd think about them too.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:13 PM   #729
GioforPM
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Ryan Smyth returning to Edmonton too.

The big difference is that Linden was 31 when he returned to Vancouver and Smyth was 35 when he went back to Edmonton. Linden played 6 more seasons in Vancouver and Smyth had 3 more in Edmonton.

If Iginla was considering signing with the Flames, I'm sure he'd call up Linden and Smyth to get their thoughts. Also, Iggy was here when Vernon returned and when Fleury attempted his comeback, so I'm sure he'd think about them too.
I don't think Iggy has as much game left as some here do. But I think he has more right now than those guys did then, especially Smyth.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:17 PM   #730
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMPunk View Post
I found an Iginla Olympic jersey at the Hockey Canada sale today. Its a sign!!! He's coming back!!!!
Maybe more of a sign that when Iggy cant find a NHL contract to his liking he decides to join the non NHLer olympics for one more run.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:42 PM   #731
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Dude has been working out hard this summer. He might not have the legs to keep up but don't question his fitness etc. For a 40 year old he is in wicked shape.
Old 07-17-2017, 03:49 PM   #732
SmoggyFlamesFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by joejoe3 View Post
Iggy to the ducks and CP will go ape
The only thing worse than this would be if he signed with the Oilers or Canucks. Just awful.
The Following User Says Thank You to SmoggyFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 02:06 AM   #733
JD
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by getbak View Post
Also, Iggy was here when Vernon returned
Wow, I totally forgot that happened!

Number 29 Mike Vernon. This after Grant Fuhr was a Flame and Steve Smith was the captain. It's like those years were all a bad dream. 2004 was just such an awakening for this franchise.
Old 07-18-2017, 04:17 AM   #734
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Sounds like Iginla wants to go to the Oilers, but the Oilers aren't making any moves until the Draisaitl contract is settled.
Old 07-18-2017, 06:11 AM   #735
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love View Post
Sounds like Iginla wants to go to the Oilers, but the Oilers aren't making any moves until the Draisaitl contract is settled.
Sounds like Iginla is weighing any options he may have but the Flames can say the same thing as they may be waiting for the Bennett deal to get done.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:04 AM   #736
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

Do you have any actual info or are you just speculating? Lots of teams still have RFA's to sign so it could be any number of teams not just the Oilers or the Flames.
Old 07-18-2017, 07:21 AM   #737
jlh2640
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe969 View Post
Do you have any actual info or are you just speculating? Lots of teams still have RFA's to sign so it could be any number of teams not just the Oilers or the Flames.
I have no knowledge of anything. I was basically responding to the above post of mine that sounds like he has inside knowledge yet didn't state that. So to me it's speculation which is what I just did
The Following User Says Thank You to jlh2640 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 07:38 AM   #738
Poe969
Franchise Player

Exp:

sorry jlh, I was talking to Love too. I think it's a little too early to think that Iggy "wants" to go to the oilers.
Old 07-18-2017, 08:39 AM   #739
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
the reality is that Iggy had 27 points in 80 games last year: that's the definition of a bottom 6 player.
But there are people who argue we have a #1 RW in Ferland with 25pts last season. Something does not compute.
The Following User Says Thank You to rain_e For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2017, 08:42 AM   #740
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rain_e View Post
But there are people who argue we have a #1 RW in Ferland with 25pts last season. Something does not compute.
One is a 40 year old at the end of his career, and the other is 25 with his whole career in front of him. He's expected to only get better from here. Iginla is expected to get worse. Those totals just happen to be where they cross along the way.
Closed Thread