Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-15-2017, 10:58 AM   #21
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
You don't give players like Backlund 8 year deals as he's not a first line player and he is coming off what may be his career season. He's a good player and great guy but I feel like fans are going a little overboard here.

While I am also not convinced that the Flames should offer Backlund eight years, he is definitely more than just a "good player and great guy." Backlund is not a top line forward, but he is arguably one of the two or three most important forwards in the Flames lineup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #22
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

3 yr $5.75 mill Total $17.25
4 yr $5.3 mill Total $21.2
5 yr $5.0 mill Total $25
6 yr $4.75 mill Total $28.5
7 yr $4.5 mill Total $31.5
8 yr $4.25 mill Total $34

Let Backlund pick which one he wants.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #23
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

I would wait to see if Bennett improves this year before extending Backlund to a lengthy contract. Jankowski being able to hold his own as a centre is a factor too.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:18 PM   #24
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
3 yr $5.75 mill Total $17.25
4 yr $5.3 mill Total $21.2
5 yr $5.0 mill Total $25
6 yr $4.75 mill Total $28.5
7 yr $4.5 mill Total $31.5
8 yr $4.25 mill Total $34

Let Backlund pick which one he wants.
I think there is a reasonable chance he would choose "none of the above".

A first time UFA at his age will likely want a long term deal, and the AVV will, IMO have to start with a least a $5.5M on such a deal.

If he could be convinced to take a short term deal (I can't imagine why he would do such a thing), it would have to be at a huge AAV. With Calgary's window, that won't make sense to Calgary who will want to keep the cap hit down during their competing years.

Let's hope Treliving can continue his magic.

Like many, I think Backlund is absolutely key to this team.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Cobra For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 12:21 PM   #25
the_only_turek_fan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

5 years at 6M per.
the_only_turek_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:28 PM   #26
Oil Stain
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_only_turek_fan View Post
5 years at 6M per.
That might be a bit much.

Guys with better numbers like Palat, Johnson, and Oshie just took less.
Oil Stain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:35 PM   #27
kukkudo
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I don't have that attachment to Backlund like some do. Maximum term I would do 3 years 5M per year.
kukkudo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:49 PM   #28
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
I don't have that attachment to Backlund like some do. Maximum term I would do 3 years 5M per year.
I am interested to know why that is. I personally think that Backlund is the consummate Flame. He is one of the best players in the League for what he does, and there is not another player on the roster who wears his commitment to the team and love for the city on his sleeve the way Backlund does.

Backlund absolutely should retire a Flame.

Quote:
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 12:50 PM   #29
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kukkudo View Post
Yeah I'm I suppose a rare fan in that I don't get attached to any players as I've seen so many come and go over the decades I really only care about the team. There's not a single player on the team that I would shed a tear if moved in a solid trade. I feel the Flames are in a good place in the middle and if Bennett and Jankowski both at least meet (not even exceed) some expectations that the team really won't need to sign Backlund to one of those long deals that becomes a boat anchor in the 2nd half of the deal.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 01:12 PM   #30
The Cobra
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
Yeah I'm I suppose a rare fan in that I don't get attached to any players as I've seen so many come and go over the decades I really only care about the team. There's not a single player on the team that I would shed a tear if moved in a solid trade. I feel the Flames are in a good place in the middle and if Bennett and Jankowski both at least meet (not even exceed) some expectations that the team really won't need to sign Backlund to one of those long deals that becomes a boat anchor in the 2nd half of the deal.
I actually don't think posters here are "nreasonablyattached" to Backlund.

I just think that there are numerous different opinions on his worth to the Flames. Yours is obviously less than some.

And often the problem with not giving any of those contracts where the 2nd half is a drag on the team. It means letting important pieces go and while you may stay competitive for a longer period, you aren't ever a true contender.

Anaheim's contract with Kesler is a good example. I will stinkin the 2nd half. But Anaheim wasn't likely going to win the SC without him. Sometimes you need to go for it while you can and understand there will be a down period later on.

In a cap world, no one will remain a contender for a long period. You need to maximize those years when your chances are greatest, and live with the inevitable long term consequences of some contracts. I may well be the cost of a SC these days.
The Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 01:21 PM   #31
FlamesFanTrev
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
I am interested to know why that is. I personally think that Backlund is the consummate Flame. He is one of the best players in the League for what he does, and there is not another player on the roster who wears his commitment to the team and love for the city on his sleeve the way Backlund does.

He should absolutely be wearing an A this year too.
FlamesFanTrev is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlamesFanTrev For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 03:37 PM   #32
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Big Backlund fan myself, but at some point he will either be moved or move on his own accord. It's just the nature of the business.
Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 03:46 PM   #33
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Backlund is not a core player. Yes, he is a great support player, but he is not a player you build around. Paying him like a core player is like paying Nugent Hopkins or Eberle a salary like a core player. Anything more than $5M per, and five years, and you're making a mistake that hurts your long term capacity at being competitive.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 03:59 PM   #34
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Backlund is not a core player. Yes, he is a great support player, but he is not a player you build around. Paying him like a core player is like paying Nugent Hopkins or Eberle a salary like a core player. Anything more than $5M per, and five years, and you're making a mistake that hurts your long term capacity at being competitive.

This.

If a guy isn't a core player...you never ever sign him long term. Particularly one who has only been good/great in 2 of his 7 years with the team. Maybe he really is just a late bloomer and will be able to keep his recent play up for a few more years, but is it worth the gamble of 5-6 million a year to find out? No way.

If he is willing to sign something reasonable for 3 years, then great. If not you start to make calls to other GM's.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:11 PM   #35
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkGio View Post
I would wait to see if Bennett improves this year before extending Backlund to a lengthy contract. Jankowski being able to hold his own as a centre is a factor too.
But depending on AAV and performance that contract could enhance Backlund as an asset if you do end up dealing him to make room for Bennett + Jankowski.
SebC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 04:42 PM   #36
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
But depending on AAV and performance that contract could enhance Backlund as an asset if you do end up dealing him to make room for Bennett + Jankowski.
Isn't that kind of the point? If he signs for $6M x 8 years, does that make him an attractive commodity? Not in the least. If he signs for $5M x five years or less, then you have a player that can be moved, even if he regresses. An asset is only an asset if they are living up to their contract or exceeding that value.
Old 07-15-2017, 04:59 PM   #37
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't hesitate to give Backlund a long term contract in exchange for saving AAV.

Backlund does the heavy lifting. It allows Monahan to get better match-ups and put up more points. It allows Bennett to be sheltered and develop at his own pace.

Trading Backlund if Jankowski does better? Well, you cross that bridge when/if it comes to that, but those are some pretty big shoes to fill now. He is one of the best defensive centers in the league now.

Expecting anyone in the organization to develop to his level can not be a legitimate expectation. Might happen. Jankowski might be good enough to make Backlund expendable for other assets, but let's get something clear here:

Backlund is elite at what he does. He is probably more elite at what he does than Johnny is elite at what he does. Both elite skill-sets are critical to winning in the NHL.

Also, if Jankowski ever does become even more elite than Backlund (for the sake of argument), then I would love it if Jankowski pushed Backlund to the wing. Jankowski AND Backlund AND Frolik all being extraordinarily good defensively while putting up a decent amount of points? Yeah, I would keep that if possible.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2017, 05:19 PM   #38
Hot_Flatus
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissentowner View Post
It really depends on how much he is looking for. I like him at 5M per, anything more and given Bennett due to break out and how good Janko plays defensively I think you deal him.
Bennett may never turn out to be the centre we thought he would be and Jankowski is yet to play any significant role on the big club. Many players like him have not been able to take the next step so you can't go around with that expectation simply because Flames fans are feeling the hype. You can't dismiss Backlund's value to the team and send him packing for a bunch of lollipops and leprechauns.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:24 PM   #39
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hot_Flatus View Post
Bennett may never turn out to be the centre we thought he would be and Jankowski is yet to play any significant role on the big club. Many players like him have not been able to take the next step. You can't dismiss Backlund's value to the team and send him packing for a bunch of lollipops and leprechauns.
So we waited until Backlund to hit his stride at 26, and show some level of consistency to his game, but we're going to claim that Bennett, at 20, is pretty much done in his development? Backlund is a good player, but let's not get ridiculous here, he's not a core player and you don't make long term commitments to guys who are not core players. I would love to see the Flames keep Backlund long term, but not at the possibility of making it difficult to hold onto Bennett and Tkachuk long term.
Old 07-15-2017, 05:42 PM   #40
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
So we waited until Backlund to hit his stride at 26, and show some level of consistency to his game, but we're going to claim that Bennett, at 20, is pretty much done in his development? Backlund is a good player, but let's not get ridiculous here, he's not a core player and you don't make long term commitments to guys who are not core players.
I think Backlund is presently a core player: he is still in the prime of his career, and is currently one of the three best forwards on a team whose championship window is starting to open. Backlund is not easily replaceable, and I don't believe there is a player in the system that will be in a position to displace him for another four or five years.

Quote:
I would love to see the Flames keep Backlund long term, but not at the possibility of making it difficult to hold onto Bennett and Tkachuk long term.
I really think the goal needs to be keeping all three. Ideally both Tkachuk and Bennett become so good that Backlund does become expendable, but how confident are we that this will happen?

I tend to think that a three year deal is a non-starter for Backlund, but I also agree that the risk of anything over six years is unappealing. I think a five year deal for Backlund is ideal, and a six year contract that carries him to 34-years-old is still a manageable term for both sides.

Quote:

Last edited by Textcritic; 07-15-2017 at 05:44 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post: