Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-29-2017, 02:00 PM   #41
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
I don't think this guy had ever coached before in his life. At least, it sure appeared that way. We never received any communication from him after the initial introduction. The first time he didn't show up, the assistant coach had no clue he wasn't coming. Luckily, he had the soccer balls so we weren't totally screwed. The he missed a few more. Then we just got used to him not being there.

The parents of the kids on this team were also strange. It's u-12, so they should be sticking around still. There were maybe 3 parents there. The rest would just drop them off.
Oh. Okay. He was just an ass.

I shouldnt say that, I've dealt with lots of volunteer coaches from whom too much was asked. Its actually how I got into coaching and then the same thing happened to me.

I will say this:

In outdoor each kid should bring his own ball. You give the balls out on Day 1 and after that its the Kid's responsibility to bring it to every game and practice.

And that guy wasnt invested. I dont know why, but if you dont care about the players, the sport or the kids, why do it? Step aside and let someone who does care do it.

Why be a coach who doesnt care? That doesnt make any sense in my mind. We're not getting paid, so you'd better find a way to make this a meaningful experience for everyone or you should STFU and get out of the way.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 02:06 PM   #42
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

My dreams of competitive sports pretty much ended before I turned 20. I had too many injuries, and too many blows to the head, and my doctor, put an end to that.

I didn't get into coaching until I hit my 30's, back in the day when you didn't need certification, you talked to the head coach, if he liked your skill set, he'd use you.

I agree that parent coaches are important, as long as they're good parent coaches. We had an OC that was a parent coach, but his son was on the defense, and this coaches knowledge and abilities were off of the chart, and I learned a massive amount from him.

Those type of parent coaches are awesome.

But when you have a parent coach who's number one justification is I'm doing this to spend time with my kid, that's the type of coach that you worry about.

Coaching staffs really have to be cohesive, they have to get along, and they have to enjoy working with each other. that's the one thing I love about coordinating is that if you have a great bunch of guys to work with. Amazing ideas come out of it, and amazing energy comes out of it, and all of the kids benefit.

Sure your going to have disagreements, I've had some coaches tell me that some of my ideas aren't so good. Or that I made a bad play call.

But we all learn.

However head coaches and coordinators have to make sure that the message is. Absolutely we're collaborative, however at the end of the day, if I'm calling the game, I'm the final say. But at the same time, if I make a bad play call, and the head coach is slowly ripping my head off. It doesn't matter that Bob the Oline coach designed that play, that's on me, that's my bad, and poop only slides down so far.

Anyways, we've had some highly experienced parent coaches show up and want to volunteer because they're son is on the team, and we've turned the parent down. But because of our program and what we do, usually the kid decides he wants to play anyways even if Dad is in the Stands.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:35 PM   #43
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Are there a lot of non parent coaches in soccer and football? I'd bet 99% of hockey coaches are parent volunteers.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:40 PM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by habernac View Post
Are there a lot of non parent coaches in soccer and football? I'd bet 99% of hockey coaches are parent volunteers.
No. I think you are correct in your assertion most coaches are parents. I guess for me, I was coaching top talent levels from time to time so they wanted unrelated volunteers. That comes with its own pitfalls.

For my last two years of coaching I actually brought back former players from U-18 teams.

Instead of doing the drills and such they got to learn from me and learn to run them, they're still coaches right now.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-29-2017, 04:45 PM   #45
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
So to give you an idea of what I do, and probably why it takes to long. For every offensive play we run on film, I fill in the following information
I didn't want to quote the whole post but this is great, thank you very much!! I've used parts of this but I feel like it would be worthwhile to just jump in and use it all. I only discovered a couple days ago that Hudl has a playbook, is that a new feature or have I just ignored it for years?
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 05:00 PM   #46
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I've used it for a few years, its a great tool.

If you use multiformations, define your formations first, and offensive one and defensive one.

after that when you design a play just tell it which formation to use for o and d and do your design.

Glad to help.

The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 07-01-2017, 12:20 PM   #47
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The other software that I used to use was Football playbook by Jes-Soft

I ended up buying the pro version which was pretty reasonable.

Its actually a pretty good piece of software It also let you generate good practice plans on the fly, and animate plays so when your doing film sessions you can show how plays work.

The problem with it to me was that the field area felt too small.

But I also liked using Hudl more because you can link to video

http://www.jes-soft.com/football/index.html

I think I used it for about 8 years before I jumped on Hudl.

Old 07-04-2017, 08:47 PM   #48
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

What do you all use to organize practices. i have templates that I chicken scratch a plan but I am looking for a more permeant (ie Digital) so I can archive my drills that I create (steal). I want to be able to draw up a drill, have directions on how the drill is run etc...

Soccer specific is best but any software will work.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:03 PM   #49
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Jes-soft has a soccer playbook, its suppossed to be pretty good, I used to use their football playbook.

You can select a category called drills and draw up your drills. create a practice plan and export or print the practice plan. There are also plays of the month and drills of the month that are submitted by other users that you can steal.

Its a very good piece of software. I went to Hudl because I liked the format a bit better, it looked a little cleaner. Plus I could link plays to videos of us running the plays.

http://www.jes-soft.com/soccer/features.html

The pro-version is a one time cost of 35 bucks, you can download and try the software for 30 days, I would probably recommend that you do that.

There is a nice animation feature as well

Check this drill out here and hit the play button.

http://www.jes-soccer.com/animated/ddribbling5dots.html

As well if you have a tablet, you can export plays and animations to your tablet or phone and use them during a game or practice.

I do highly recommend it, like I said I bought the football version and it was excellent.

Here's an animated play. Imagine during a time out or whatever or half time being able to run through plays on your tablet.

http://www.jes-soccer.com/animated/p...ieldangle.html

Chances are for 35 bucks your team might cover the cost. I know our team covers the cost of hudl pro.

Old 07-04-2017, 11:06 PM   #50
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Screen shots

This is what edit play looks like

Practice Plan

Drill

Old 07-05-2017, 08:56 AM   #51
Mccree
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

That looks great but they don't seem to have a mac version.

Mccree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2017, 09:22 AM   #52
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

They probably don't and I'm assuming you're not running a windows emulator.

There's not a lot of soccer coaching tools for the Mac. There might be an online version, but now your out of the freeware universe.

https://www.sportsessionplanner.com/?login_box=1

Old 07-05-2017, 10:21 AM   #53
Lubicon
Franchise Player

Exp:

The Drillbook is a local company/program and looks to have a soccer component although I don't know if they have a Mac app. I've seen it used for hockey and many of our local hockey associations offer a free membership for their coaches. I've never used it other than to 'borrow' drills as I have had a Blackberry until recently which is not supported. But I do know some hockey coaches who swear by this program.

https://www.thedrillbook.com/
Lubicon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Lubicon For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 11:06 AM   #54
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

So just for fun, now that camp is done, and I have some downtime until the end of July and our next training camp. I've been playing around with a lot of different offensive looks, right now we run all of our plays out of multiple formations that give us different looks and feels,

We run an ace tight end balanced, trips, we run bunch, and we run a tight that almost looks like a wishbone. We also run an I strong.

So here's the rub, I don't have a lot of experience at the skills position, that's fine and most of our plays are pretty standard.

But I always like to have something special that I can insert when I need it, that's why I have one version of my playbook and the players and other coaches have the standardized version. My playbook has everything I've ever thought of in it.

Last year, I watched the US Naval Academy play and I loved their offense, its based on a triple option, which puts the onus on the QB to make good decisions and make reads. Now like I mentioned, inexperienced QB, so I might teach him some read option this year. But I'd love to be able to pull out something unexpected at some point whether this year or next year.

So even if you don't coach football, or are a casual football fan. I'm going to give a base look and a couple of plays and you can tell me if I'm nuts or if this is way too complex. This is basically I'm bouncing this off of you guys to help me think this through post

First of all the base look

Notes

My tight end will always line up on the strong run side of the field unless its a pass play. I can run this under center or pistol. There is very little motion.

one option plays (pass or run plays) are rare, most plays have the option for the QB to either pass, hand off, toss or take the ball and go.

Ok play one

Triple Option Veer 33 lead dive

Notes

The Quarterbacks main read is the left side Tight End. If the left side TE makes a crash to the 3 back, then the QB takes the ball out of the three backs chest and has the option to either run out the end, or toss to the four back. If the DE shoots for the QB or stays in contain the QB gives the ball to the 3 back who follows the lead through the two hole.

This play can also be reversed and becomes a triple option veer 42 lead dive

Ok so in terms of something more complex. a Option can have elements of pass and run. So this play would be called a

Triple Option Veer (undercenter of pistol) 87 TE Arrow, 4-3 37 option toss.

So basically

X runs an 8
Y runs a 7
The TE runs a modified arrow and is lined up on the run strong side.
The 4 runs a modified 3
The 2 back is backside pass protect
the three back runs a toss sweep to the 7 hole.

So here's the decision, the offensive tackle ignores the left side DE. The QB needs to read him. If he crashes, the the QB has the option to take the ball and run, or toss to the 3.

If de contains, the QB has the option to stay in and pass, the 3 back can now act as a swing pass as well.

Ok last one

This is the triple option pistol 26 counter 37 option toss

Ok, I think this almost has to be run pistol

The 2 back is going to run a counter motion in front of the QB so its a forward ride and decide handoff. The left guard is going to pull. At the start both ends are left alone. The QB's first read is to the counter side (right side). If the defensive end contains up field then the counter is the play and the hand off happens, the pulling guard needs to clear out the DE. If the DE crashes to running back or QB, then the QB reads the left side DE end on the move and decides to hang onto the ball and the 3 back then lead blocks to the first opportunity. Or if the left DE steps to the QB (the 5 technique is tough at our level because kids are impatient). Then the QB tosses to the 3 back to the 7 hole.

Anyways, its something I'm working on, I might not even get it to my play book or rotation this year, but I'd love to know if you guys think . . . right track or too nuts.

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 07-05-2017 at 11:18 AM.
Old 07-05-2017, 11:31 AM   #55
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mccree View Post
What do you all use to organize practices. i have templates that I chicken scratch a plan but I am looking for a more permeant (ie Digital) so I can archive my drills that I create (steal). I want to be able to draw up a drill, have directions on how the drill is run etc...

Soccer specific is best but any software will work.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 07-05-2017, 11:34 AM   #56
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

nice pen but needs a feather

Old 07-05-2017, 11:46 AM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Its funny because I never used software to design drills, I always wrote them down on paper, that way I could always make changes and then I'd rotate different pages in and out of my clipboard when I was planning practices as well as take notes on what worked and what didnt.

After a while you get a dozen or so that are boilerplate, they're typically short and easy and you know which ones the kids love and which they hate.

That way if you're running an important drill and they're screwing around you can instantly switch to an easy drill that will get their confidence up and then go back.

Old 07-05-2017, 11:52 AM   #58
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's a fair point. I tend to be fairly regimented in what I want to work on.

That way I can reach out to my position coaches and let them know where I think the weak spots are, what needs to be improved and what they're good at. Then I leave it to them to develop the drills.

when we get together for insertion, I usually try to have things pre printed based around the 10 plays I want to work on that week, that way I can either map using a white board. During early camp I'm usually inserting 5 plays (each side) a day, so in about 30 minutes we have time to walk it through and run it though.

During scrimmage I can only run plays that I've run though with them, but we try to run an up tempo scrimmage with the plays that we've run before or taught today.

On scrimmage during the season we split it by days. There are offense days where we get the defense to run scout, and vice versa.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:00 PM   #59
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
That's a fair point. I tend to be fairly regimented in what I want to work on.

That way I can reach out to my position coaches and let them know where I think the weak spots are, what needs to be improved and what they're good at. Then I leave it to them to develop the drills.

when we get together for insertion, I usually try to have things pre printed based around the 10 plays I want to work on that week, that way I can either map using a white board. During early camp I'm usually inserting 5 plays (each side) a day, so in about 30 minutes we have time to walk it through and run it though.

During scrimmage I can only run plays that I've run though with them, but we try to run an up tempo scrimmage with the plays that we've run before or taught today.

On scrimmage during the season we split it by days. There are offense days where we get the defense to run scout, and vice versa.
Right, but Football and Soccer are very different.

Soccer doesnt get to stop every few seconds so you have to teach the kids to think on their feet, read a play and adapt.

You dont have to opportunity to basically say: "Okay, that didnt work, now lets try 3 more times."

So when it comes to soccer it requires more fluidity, the running of a drill is to teach a skill, whether its touch, shot, tackling or decision-making and you have to rotate between them and the best drill incorporate two or more of these into a kind of game.

Old 07-05-2017, 12:10 PM   #60
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

nope and that's entirely fair.

I would expect that even indy work is different, in football its all positions.

So to give an example of practice planning

6:30 -6:40 warmup
6:40 - 7:00 Safe contact/safe tackling
7:00 - 7:35 - Indy positions

IE running backs
run to the hole
ball tackling
pass protect

7:45 - 8:00 - insertion
8:00 - 8:20 - scrimmage
8:20 - 8:30 special teams
8:30 cooldown

I would assume that with soccer the indy time or skills time would be way more prevalent wouldn't it?