Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum

View Poll Results: Total AAV value? Ferland+Bennett+Lazar+Kulak
3-4M 2 0.71%
4-5M 12 4.24%
5-6M 61 21.55%
6-7M 111 39.22%
7-8M 71 25.09%
8-9M 18 6.36%
9-10M 5 1.77%
10M+ 3 1.06%
Voters: 283. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-03-2017, 04:49 PM   #41
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Flames will push hard for 3 years for Bennett, so I can see that upping the AAV. But it is a bad idea to have him and Tkachuk be on the spotlight for an expected raise in the same offseason.
Old 07-03-2017, 04:58 PM   #42
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan55 View Post
Those are some high numbers.
Dont think they are far off. Guess we will find out. Hope they come in lower but I doubt it.
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:01 PM   #43
Aarongavey
Franchise Player

Exp:

I am hoping Bennett signs for 8 years, 31 million dollars.

Ferland I could easily do 4 years 9 million

Lazar a bridge.
Aarongavey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:26 PM   #44
Flamescuprun2018
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post
Bennett scored 26 points last year. That's only two more than Alex Chiasson. I'm still high on Bennett's potential but I don't think he's earned a cent more than $2mil/year. I think he winds up with $2.5mil AAV for 3 years though. I think Ferland comes in between $1.5m-$2.0m AAV for three years and Lazar around $1.0m AAV for two years.
2.5m for 3 yrs Bennett (if we can twist the agents arm)
2.1m for 3 yrs Ferland (similar to Bouma arbitration deal)
1m for 1 yr Lazar (prove it deal)
700K for 1 yr Kulak (one way good for him since might play in AHL)
Flamescuprun2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:38 PM   #45
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

These are all really hard contracts to pin down. I'm glad it's Brad making the choice and not me. On one hand, you don't want to have to pay Bennett $8m in the future if he pans out, on the other hand, you don't want to pay a ~30 point player $5m...

I think I'd go cheap short term for now and if Bennett becomes a 1C, then that's a good problem to have to deal with.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:04 PM   #46
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

$3MM for Bennett, $2MM for Ferdaddy, and $2MM for Lazar and Kulak combined. $7MM for the lot - likely two year deals for Bennett and Ferland.
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:28 PM   #47
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Ferland reminds me of a Rene Bouque. I would be wary of giving him more than 2 years. He had what 15 goals and 24 points with lots of top line ice time? I don't see a reason to pay a huge premium for that level of production. I think he's a guy who needs short term to keep motivated.

Bennett the worst deal is 5 years. I'm fine if the team is in tough to pay him and Tkachuck in two years. It means they got their games to another level. Right now Bennett is carrying a bigger name than anything. You want more, go get it.

Last edited by Sylvanfan; 07-03-2017 at 10:05 PM.
Sylvanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 06:31 PM   #48
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Assuming the kid is confident in his own abilities, my guess is Sam's camp wants a 1 year deal. Anything more than that and the Flames basically have to decide how much they want to pay for potential. 2 year deal might be the perfect middle ground.
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:05 PM   #49
442scotty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Anyone who thinks Ferland is only getting 2 mil should watch his highlights video. 3-3.5 x 4 years would be a bargain... He's just scratching the surface of how good he is. I wish we had 6 Ferlands on the team
442scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:09 PM   #50
Enoch Root
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'll take the under for a thousand
Enoch Root is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:15 PM   #51
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Seems like as a group we'll collectively be pleased if the RFA group signs for Marleau money or less, but be alarmed if the group signs for Thornton money or more.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:16 PM   #52
Jiri Hrdina
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
Anyone who thinks Ferland is only getting 2 mil should watch his highlights video. 3-3.5 x 4 years would be a bargain... He's just scratching the surface of how good he is. I wish we had 6 Ferlands on the team
Geez that would be an overpayment. I like Ferland but don't see much beyond what he already is. He has great moments that can be showcased in a highlights package but consistency is what you get paid big bucks for and what he also lacks
Jiri Hrdina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:27 PM   #53
GranteedEV
Franchise Player

Exp:

We should be trying to score our own Jarnkrok / Klefbom type deals. waffling about with a bridge just means underpaying these kids for a couple years and then getting hit with a Matthew Tkachuk Cap Crunch

"May those who accept their fate find happiness. May those who defy it find glory."
GranteedEV is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GranteedEV For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 07:41 PM   #54
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442scotty View Post
You can watch that video until your eyes fall right out of your head, it still won't make Ferland's on ice performance to date worth a contract of that size.

And I'm a big fan of Ferland.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:45 PM   #55
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GranteedEV View Post
We should be trying to score our own Jarnkrok / Klefbom type deals. waffling about with a bridge just means underpaying these kids for a couple years and then getting hit with a Matthew Tkachuk Cap Crunch
With a player of Bennett's pedigree, I'm assuming Sam and his agent see him as a 6-7 million player in the future. I don't expect a long-term cheap deal.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 07:56 PM   #56
Anduril
Franchise Player

Exp:

You could make an argument for any number of years but I'm seriously doubting that it'll start with in the $3m range even as a one year deal.

Back in January from Comix:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComixZone View Post
Bridge deal.

3 years, 2.85M per season seems fair value.

Comparables:

Nazem Kadri - 2 years, 2.9M per season
Brayden Schenn - 2 years, 2.5M per season
Sean Couturier - 2 years, 1.75M per season
Ryan Strome - 2 years, 2.5M per season
Alex Galchenyuk - 2 years, 2.8M per season

I think you take Schenn's deal, add a year and a slight bump in AAV. I think ending up at 2.85M per for 3 years is a fair bridge deal.
Adding in Galchenyuk as well since he was in a similar situation as Bennett (bounced between wing and centre, was bridged after his ELC)

Comparing point totals in their years leading up to the bridge deal:

Nazem Kadri - 98GP, 26G, 37A, 63P (0.64PPG)
Brayden Schenn - 183GP, 40G, 45A, 85P (0.46PPG)
Sean Couturier - 205GP, 30G, 51A, 81P (0.39PPG)
Ryan Strome - 189GP, 32G, 64A, 96P (0.50PPG)
Alex Galchenyuk - 193GP, 42G, 62A, 104P (0.53PPG)

Sam Bennett - 158GP, 31G, 31A, 62P (0.39PPG)

Naturally there are still loads of other variances and differences between each of these young players (time spent playing C vs W), linemates, year to year development and overall game outside of offensive production.

I can say that almost all these players produced their best season, around 40pts in their last ELC year with the exception of Strome. Bennett and Galchenyuk are the only ones to go straight full-time NHL and not spend any AHL time.

The Bennett camp will likely be looking at 1 or 2 years. 5 year deal straight to UFA is obviously out of the question. It's obvious that Bennett doesn't have much in the way of negotiation so anything short to get to the big dollar deal (assuming Bennett turns heads consistently starting this season) is ideal.
The Flames will want to push for a 3 year deal. While there will be a key player with an expiring deal every year (Backlund 2018, Tkachuk 2019, Brodie 2020, Hamilton 2021), in 3 years it'll be a combination of Brouwer (4.5M), Frolik (4.3M), Brodie (4.65M), Hamonic (3.85M) and Stone (3.5M) which gives this team incredible flexibility to reassess and readjust depending on how the next three years go.

A 2 year deal lining up with Tkachuk's extension which could easily be a big one might be bad but would require the best case scenario. Even with Tkachuk earning a potential 4-6M per year long term deal, Bennett would have to perform at a 2nd line C or better over the next two years before the Flames have to really start sweating about the cap. Buying out Brouwer at that point is a possibility (save $3M for 2019-2020) but there's so many if's and but's at that point that it's hard to really say especially with so many long term question marks at goaltending. There's roughly a $5M difference in which the Flames either end up regretting the two year bridge deal, again potentially mitigated by a Brouwer buyout (costing 1.5M on the cap for 2019-2020 and 2020-21).

Lots of words, basically the same summation as before: Flames want 3 years. Bennett wants 2 or less. Deal highly unlikely to be anything past 2.5M even with the 5% increase in salary cap since 2014-15 unless the deal is super long (6yrs+)

Last edited by Anduril; 07-03-2017 at 08:00 PM.
Anduril is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Anduril For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 08:07 PM   #57
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

What I'm hoping for

Bennett - 3 year 3 million
Ferland - 3 year 2 million
Lazar - 2 year 1.1
Kulak - 1 year 750K (1 way)
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Caged Great For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 08:20 PM   #58
Flamefan1
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Bennett will get a 3 yr deal for $10 million, Ferly will get a 3 year deal for $ 9 million, Lazar will get a 2 year deal for $2.5 million and Kulak will get a 1 year 950,000 deal.
Flamefan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamefan1 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-03-2017, 08:25 PM   #59
ignite09
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamefan1 View Post
Bennett will get a 3 yr deal for $10 million, Ferly will get a 3 year deal for $ 9 million, Lazar will get a 2 year deal for $2.5 million and Kulak will get a 1 year 950,000 deal.
Don't we have three defenceman coming up for UFA contracts in three years? Seems kind of short sighted to add two RFA forwards to the list of contracts that need to be worked out that summer doesn't it.
ignite09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 08:28 PM   #60
Serapth
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamefan1 View Post
Huge overpayment on every contract IMHO. Lazar is potential and nothing more. >1 m / year, possibly 1m AAV if 2 years or more. Ferland and Bennet are roughly comparable in my mind, both for current value and potential. 2-2.5m/y on 2 years, slightly more on 3.
Serapth is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serapth For This Useful Post: