Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #21
tvp2003
Franchise Player

Exp:

The pitchforks are already out on twitter. 8 years of Oilers fans complaining that you're selfish and signed for too much money.

Are you sure you've thought this through Connor?
tvp2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:59 AM   #22
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think Oilers fans need to worry. If there's any GM that knows how to manage a team's cap structure, it's Chiarelli.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:01 AM   #23
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Probably means Benning and Nurse are both getting moved next summer. Both deals up under 1 mil each and they are now basically locked in to their mediocre top 4 d at 18 mil for four years. They won't have spots or room to give those guys the 2-3 mil they are probably worth as rfas.

Coupled with maroon and Strome up their current team window is basically this year before they have to shed quite a few bodies.

Last edited by Matty81; 06-28-2017 at 08:03 AM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:02 AM   #24
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not that contract that will hurt the Oilers. You won't ever get in trouble by paying your best players what they are worth. He will be the best player in the league for the entirety of that contract, and should be paid as such.
Chiarelli has not previously shown an ability to manage the cap well, and I expect this will continue. He, and Lucic type contracts are what will make it tough for the Oilers, not the McDavid contract.
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EldrickOnIce For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #25
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Oilers wanted 8 years so McDavid's agent made sure they paid for those extra years, good to see he didn't give them a discount. This really hurts their chances of winning the Stanley Cup. This season might be their best chance. I would expect if it was a 5 year deal it would have been close to $10 million. I think the Oilers hurt their chances of winning the Cup the next 5 seasons because they were selfish and wanted to keep McDavid for the full 8 years.

Fire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #26
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
It's not that contract that will hurt the Oilers. You won't ever get in trouble by paying your best players what they are worth. He will be the best player in the league for the entirety of that contract, and should be paid as such.
Chiarelli has not previously shown an ability to manage the cap well, and I expect this will continue. He, and Lucic type contracts are what will make it tough for the Oilers, not the McDavid contract.
This is true. I just looked at their wages and they have 20 mil locked into Sekera Russell Lucic and Pouliot. They are going to become hugely reliant on drafting and UFA rentals at the deadline.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:07 AM   #27
SuperMatt18
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope it actually comes in even higher - c'mon give him the $97M over 7 years.
SuperMatt18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:10 AM   #28
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I know Johnny and McJesus, but damn does JG's deal look sooooooooo gooood.

I'm willing to bet JG will be challenging McDavid for points throughout their careers.
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #29
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

When all is said and done, the Oilers will pay around 55m for 4 forwards (McDavid, Draisaitl, Lucic, RNH), 4 defensemen (Sekera, Klefbom, Larsson, Russell) and their starter (Talbot).

They better start drafting really well really soon.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:12 AM   #30
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
Once again, Edmonton sets the new "bar" for players of his skillset.

Probably worth the money, but man is it going to be tough to build around that. McD sure as hell better be a perennial Hart candidate for that amount of $. Anything less then PPG (heck even getting close to 100 pts) each and every season, and he's going to get ripped for that deal.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
let's leave aside the fact that Chia is lousy at managing the cap and the oilers are likely screwed.

to be fair, how many players of that skillset are there? when there are only a couple of players at your level, there isn't much of a bar to set.

for the tier below.
I guess if Matthews has a killer second year and gets near 100 points and is in consideration for major awards, it would make his ask around 10 to 11m?
GordonBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:17 AM   #31
username
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In years 6-8 that is going to look like a bargain if the cap keeps going up. People were saying the same thing when sid signed for 12 years at 8.7 but now it's one of the best contracts in hockey.

Last edited by username; 06-28-2017 at 08:20 AM.
username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:17 AM   #32
Oling_Roachinen
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm just hoping this isn't the case where it ends up actually being 12M or so, and it was leaked at a higher level so fans warm up to the idea of paying him a ton. Similar to how Russell's contract was leaked at 18M but became 16M the next day.

If McDavid's cap hit is north of 13M, I think that's about as best case scenario to hope for given the circumstances.
Oling_Roachinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:18 AM   #33
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny01 View Post
What minimum type of offer sheet is going to make it really tough to keep Draisaitl?

Montreal better be preparing that
5 years, 45M+?
EldrickOnIce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:19 AM   #34
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

If the cap doesn't keep going up, the best chance for the Oilers to win the Cup is probably next season.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #35
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Love it. Would have been even better at 5 years though. Now go get Drai at 10M Chia!
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:20 AM   #36
Jacks
Franchise Player

Exp:

If true that is a fantastic contract and plenty of teams would give up 4 first rounders to sign it. I like bashing the oilers as much as anybody but c'mon now. He was going to make at least 12M, paying McNugget an extra mil or two isn't going to handcuff the team, overpaying guys like RNH, Russell, Lucic, etc are what will put them in cap hell.
Jacks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Jacks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2017, 08:21 AM   #37
Love
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
I know Johnny and McJesus, but damn does JG's deal look sooooooooo gooood.

I'm willing to bet JG will be challenging McDavid for points throughout their careers.
I don't think so, but I don't think they'll be that far off.

McDavid - 110pt range
Gaudreau - 90pt range
Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #38
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire View Post
Oilers wanted 8 years so McDavid's agent made sure they paid for those extra years, good to see he didn't give them a discount. This really hurts their chances of winning the Stanley Cup. This season might be their best chance. I would expect if it was a 5 year deal it would have been close to $10 million. I think the Oilers hurt their chances of winning the Cup the next 5 seasons because they were selfish and wanted to keep McDavid for the full 8 years.
A 5 year deal wasn't going to be any cheaper. Was he going to be a top 3 player in the NHL for the next 5 years --- Yes. Was someone going to give him a max offersheet --- yes. In year by year arbitration would he have a case for max Salary each year -- yes

So No discount for only going 5.

Overall that is a really fair deal and he does exchange financial security for term. He could have had a 4 year deal taking him to free agency at max Salary. So he gives back 1.5 million per plus 4 UFA years in order to have 106 million guaranteed. 13.5 doesn't handcuff the team and the elite player who makes others better shouldn't be the guy taking the discount.

A very fair deal for both sides here.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:22 AM   #39
BurningSteel
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Hey look, its the Edmonton McDavids!!
BurningSteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 08:23 AM   #40
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Crosby's second contract was 17.30% of the Cap for five years when it was signed. Ovechkin's was 18.96% of the Cap for 13 years.

This will be 17.67% of the Cap when it's signed (if that number is accurate). So, he gets slightly more than Crosby, but the Oilers get 3 more years guaranteed.

The big difference is that when Crosby and Ovechkin signed their second contracts, the Cap was routinely increasing 5 or 6 million a year, which was greater than 10%. In fact, because they both signed the year before their new contracts took effect, the percentages had already dropped quite a bit before they even started.

In its first year, Crosby's contract was down to 15.34% of the Cap just because the Cap rose so much from year to year. Ovechkin's was down to 16.82% when it started.

If next year's cap goes up to $77 million (which would be in line with recent yearly increases), McDavid's deal will be 17.21% of the cap when it starts.

By its final year, Crosby's contract was only 12.39% of the Cap. In order for McDavid's contract to match that, the cap would have to rise to $107 million in the next six years (or about 7% per year).