Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 06-17-2017, 05:32 AM   #1
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:
Icon26 BJs trade 1st, 2nd, Clarkson to Vegas for picking Karlsson

First rumblings of this reported by Friedman, but looks like we have details now

http://www.dispatch.com/sports/20170...p-young-talent

Quote:
Sources around the NHL have indicated to The Dispatch that the Blue Jackets have reached agreement with the Vegas Golden Knights on a trade that will be announced during the expansion draft Wednesday in Las Vegas. With this trade the Blue Jackets will pay dearly to dissuade the Golden Knights from taking Anderson, Korpisalo or one of the veteran defensemen — Jack Johnson or David Savard — that they would have exposed.

The Jackets are believed to be trading this year’s first-round draft pick (No. 24 overall) and a prospect (not Pierre-Luc Dubois or Sonny Milano) to Vegas for assurances that the Golden Knights will select either left wing Matt Calvert, center William Karlsson or defenseman Ryan Murray.

Vegas’ acquisition of the contract of injured veteran forward David Clarkson ($5.25 million salary cap hit) may also be part of the deal.

Blue Jackets general manager Jarmo Kekalainen would not comment on his club’s protected list or any possible trades. Las Vegas general manager George McPhee has been asked by the NHL to keep all trades under wraps until the roster of the league’s 31st franchise is revealed in a made-for-TV production Wednesday.
Also bad news for those hoping Vegas would flip Korpisalo to the Flames.

News Update

Chris Johnston @reporterchris
now
Vegas selects William Karlsson from Columbus, and acquires David Clarkson's rights and a 2017 1st-rounder and 2019 2nd-rounder in a trade.

Last edited by sureLoss; 06-21-2017 at 08:15 PM.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 05:44 AM   #2
ballin
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I must admit i have not paid much attention to Ryan Murray, but were the first 2 picks of that draft that bad?
ballin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ballin For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 05:44 AM   #3
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jg13 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 06:31 AM   #4
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

If true, kinda seems like the blue jackets outsmarted themselves or paid too much just for some certainty. Murray and Karlsson are good players you think Vegas would have been wanting anyway and if they were gonna expose Murray they could have protected those other dmen

Korpisalo isn't worth even a 1st in a trade and they have another good potential backup already. I do like Anderson and I guess they ditched Clarkson. Appreciate the Hartnell thing as well. But I can't help but thinking Vegas would have just taken Murray if exposed regardless. Will be interesting to see how good the prospect is.

Last edited by Matty81; 06-17-2017 at 06:33 AM.
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Matty81 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 07:13 AM   #5
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'm with you Matty, I would've had
Murray or Karlsson ahead of those other guys anyway. I'll be surprised if they did let them take Murray but he's a good defender who's still learning and has had a tough time with injuries. Murray plus a PO Joseph/Hague for not picking korpisalo? Good start for golden knights.

Last edited by iloveicedhockey; 06-17-2017 at 07:52 AM.
iloveicedhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:24 AM   #6
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Begs the question though, what is Anaheim paying to keep their players?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 07:29 AM   #7
Freeway
Franchise Player

Exp:

An arm and a leg, perhaps. And maybe more?

"Does a great job covering the Flames" - Elliotte Friedman
Freeway is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Freeway For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #8
Kickazzflames
Scoring Winger

Exp:

You would have to think an Anaheim deal is on the way.. but then again that might be the place where VGK can lock in their best defenseman.
Kickazzflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 07:40 AM   #9
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kickazzflames View Post
You would have to think an Anaheim deal is on the way.. but then again that might be the place where VGK can lock in their best defenseman.
McKenzie already reported there is a deal between the Ducks and Vegas. It is the reason why the Ducks didn't need to ask Bieksa to waive his NMC for the extra protection slot.

Nobody has reported the details of that trade yet.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:56 AM   #10
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Silvferberg and Vatanen are a notch ahead of anyone CBJ would be exposing. I don't quite buy the rumour of the kings first rounder to the knights to take brown, the value doesn't match with this.
Old 06-17-2017, 08:08 AM   #11
Matty81
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Yeah Anaheim should be paying a mint... Vatanen is a very good player. And we're talking about a divisional rival, even if Vatanen and Silfverberg got traded and Bieksa was bought out forcing the best team in the division to dismantle would have had more value than a late 1st so the price should be high.

Too bad for Vegas they couldn't just get their hands on Vatanen though. Murray-Vatanen pairing as a starting point would have been a great young foundation. Also fill in the rest with #4 dmen from around the league and their D would already be better than the Oilers
Matty81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 08:38 AM   #12
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

These late first round picks sound like a great deal but when you consider what the Flames netted in 2013 with three 1st round picks (only Monahan) you can understand why some teams would rather keep players that are NHL contributors. Depending on the prospect involved this to me doesn't sound like an overly great deal for Las Vegas especially if Clarkson is part of the deal.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 09:11 AM   #13
oldschoolcalgary
Franchise Player

Exp:

seems like a high price, but i agree with EE...

Draft picks are lottery tickets... for a team starting from zero, having a bunch of tickets is great... but for Columbus, who just had an impressive year, certainty was pretty important.

2017 has long been discussed as a weaker than average year, so if you were going to give up a late 1st, this was probably as good a year one could hope for...

as for the Ducks, if i were LV i wouldn't make a deal until i saw what they were going to do...a draft pick, even a 1st (especially in 2017), would not be worth the value of a player that the ducks would have to expose... same with the preds and Minnesota as far as the lists i have seen at least.
oldschoolcalgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:18 AM   #14
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who else had to take a few seconds to figure out VGK wasn't a player nickname?
GreenLantern2814 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GreenLantern2814 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 09:19 AM   #15
the2bears
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldschoolcalgary View Post
seems like a high price, but i agree with EE...

Draft picks are lottery tickets... for a team starting from zero, having a bunch of tickets is great... but for Columbus, who just had an impressive year, certainty was pretty important.

2017 has long been discussed as a weaker than average year, so if you were going to give up a late 1st, this was probably as good a year one could hope for...

as for the Ducks, if i were LV i wouldn't make a deal until i saw what they were going to do...a draft pick, even a 1st (especially in 2017), would not be worth the value of a player that the ducks would have to expose... same with the preds and Minnesota as far as the lists i have seen at least.
But would you have that chance? How will Anaheim ever know unless they make a deal?
the2bears is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:23 AM   #16
Tiger
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

That's a pretty good offer for vgk to still get Murray who is a still a pretty good defenseman
Old 06-17-2017, 09:29 AM   #17
gvitaly
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Who else had to take a few seconds to figure out VGK wasn't a player nickname?
Reminded me of David Van der Gulik all over again
gvitaly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gvitaly For This Useful Post:
Old 06-17-2017, 09:31 AM   #18
iloveicedhockey
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I think the point with the CBJ deal is that they're still likely going to have a good player available to them, maybe even one they would've picked anyway, without a deal.

I absolutely agree about the ducks though; Vatanen or Silvferberg are legitimate, high level NHL players, which is why the ducks first won't get it done, in my opinion. Perhaps the deal is to take one over another, I look forward to finding out.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #19
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

If it wasn't apparent already, the expansion draft shows how much depth the Blue Jackets have. The management team there doesn't get enough credit.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:45 AM   #20
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Imagine trading a 1st round pick to Vegas for them to select a former 2nd overall pick.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post: