Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2017, 05:16 PM   #6721
Snuffleupagus
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
With the heat between the NHL and NHLPA right now and with players like Mathews coming up on their contracts.

I would expect that McSniffles' agent will be getting a lot of "friendly" advisory calls from the NHLPA and they've started a secret file called operation rapetheoilers.

Make no mistakes both sides will see this as a battleground contract. The NHL for cost control, the PA for setting the table for the entire salary structure of the NHL.
Only problem I see is his agent is Bobby Orr and he's not known for being a hardliner
Old 06-15-2017, 05:17 PM   #6722
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Another interesting thing heard in the interview was that he is looking to get to UFA ASAP.
Can't blame him! That is the only scenario that remotely makes sense, if he does sign for less money.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:37 PM   #6723
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Why? The Oilers are the PA's favourite team. They overpay washed-out losers, they offer sheet League Superstars like Dustin Penner and they're single-handedly responsible for the elimination of the second contract.
Right. And they will continue to be the PA's favourite team as long as they go on making stupid overpayments, and not one moment longer.

It's like mooching off your rich uncle. The moment he wants to turn it around and mooch off you, he's not your favourite uncle anymore.
Old 06-15-2017, 05:40 PM   #6724
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snuffleupagus View Post
Only problem I see is his agent is Bobby Orr and he's not known for being a hardliner
Look at his agency's client list: the Staal brothers, Sharp, Spezza, Ward, Carter, Hall, Ekblad ... those guys haven't signed a lot of discount contracts over the years. There's a lot of big money, long-term contracts with No-Trade/No-Move Clauses.

Ekblad's new contract is definitely not a bargain-basement deal for the Panthers.

Last edited by getbak; 06-16-2017 at 01:40 AM.
Old 06-15-2017, 07:57 PM   #6725
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
He's a fan hoping his own team makes good decisions and that his rival teams make bad ones.
Hit the nail right on the head right there. Spector is a fan not a legitimate professional reporter.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to greyshep For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 07:06 AM   #6726
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
When McDingus signs for 11-12M+, he'll say "worth every penny". Book it.
12 million is the bargain price for him and every team in the league would happily pay him 12. He is without a doubt right now a top 3 player in this league. Anything under 12 would be wizardry.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:11 AM   #6727
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fighting Banana Slug View Post
When McDingus signs for 11-12M+, he'll say "worth every penny". Book it.
you don't think he's worth 11-12mil? I would bet pretty well every team would love to have him at that price.

other than the dollar amount which is high, what's that as a percentage of the salary cap as compared to other elite players when they signed theirs?

probably in the same range.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:27 AM   #6728
Azhouse
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post
you don't think he's worth 11-12mil? I would bet pretty well every team would love to have him at that price.

other than the dollar amount which is high, what's that as a percentage of the salary cap as compared to other elite players when they signed theirs?

I think he is saying vs the $8.5 mil max term deal that all of the Oilers delusional fans think he is going to sign for because he has grown to love the city.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:36 AM   #6729
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Since1984 View Post
Another interesting thing heard in the interview was that he is looking to get to UFA ASAP.
Orr should be advising his client to wait until July 1st, 2018 before discussing contract extension with the Oilers. McDavid will receive 30 offer sheets for $14M x 5 years. He can pick any of them and the Oilers can only match, meaning he gets max dollars and becomes a UFA at the earliest possible moment. If Orr and company doesn't do this, they are incompetent.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 06-16-2017, 07:58 AM   #6730
GordonBlue
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
I think he is saying vs the $8.5 mil max term deal that all of the Oilers delusional fans think he is going to sign for because he has grown to love the city.
Honestly? I think anyone who believes that he'll sign for less than 11 million is stupid.
I'm curious to see if he signs for the max term or if he wants a 5 year deal. going to be an interesting negotiation.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:12 AM   #6731
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Orr should be advising his client to wait until July 1st, 2018 before discussing contract extension with the Oilers. McDavid will receive 30 offer sheets for $14M x 5 years. He can pick any of them and the Oilers can only match, meaning he gets max dollars and becomes a UFA at the earliest possible moment. If Orr and company doesn't do this, they are incompetent.
A 4 year deal would actually allow him to become a UFA at the earliest year possible.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #6732
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think it's going to be much of a negotiation. What Connor wants, Connor gets.
Draisaitl is potentially more interesting.
Draisaitl will get an offer sheet, I'd bet. Which doesn't mean he signs it. Draisaitl was the Habs first choice in a deal for Subban.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #6733
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
"But but Connor first then Draisaitl" said sad clown face Chia. "If I can't sign Connor until next year then Draisaitl will have to wait" he said while sipping his juice from a sippy cup and laughing at his baby apron with a bright yellow duck on it.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Old 06-16-2017, 08:47 AM   #6734
Fighting Banana Slug
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordonBlue View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azhouse View Post
What Azhouse says. McDavid's value is as high as anyone in the league, no doubt, which means more that 10.
O.K. there has been a lot of talk on whether or not MacTavish has actually done a good job for us, most fans on this board are very basic in their analysis and I feel would change their opinion entirely if the team was successful.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:53 AM   #6735
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I don't think that is good advice.

There is a % chance that he gets a season or even career ending concussion next year. That needs to be insured against. His agent should determine what a 50 million dollar insurance policy will cost then subtract that from the max deal he could get. Then set anything higher than that as the threshold for signing.

When you have the opportunity to sign for a life changing amount of money you do it. It's negligence not to set yourself up for life as soon as possible.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:57 AM   #6736
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks New Era, I was just going to say exactly that!

I would also expect Leon Draisatl to get an offer if he isn't signed by July 1, there will be some desperate team out there willing to offer $8 million for 8 (maybe more) years that the Coilers will have to match.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:14 PM   #6737
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

In keeping with the main theme of this thread, I was not pleased to hear one of the guests on the afternoon show on 960 (Lavoie?) say that a likely trade next week, after the ecpansion draft, was Eberle for Phaneuf.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:18 PM   #6738
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bozek View Post
In keeping with the main theme of this thread, I was not pleased to hear one of the guests on the afternoon show on 960 (Lavoie?) say that a likely trade next week, after the ecpansion draft, was Eberle for Phaneuf.
Ahahahahaha!!!!! Why not?

That trade is like throwing a drowning man a cinderblock.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 06-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #6739
Steve Bozek
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I see your point, but I think that would still be an improvement in their defense (which is still a weak spot, in my view), while losing Eberle might even be addition by subtraction. Might be replaced by a maturing Poolparty.
Old 06-16-2017, 04:25 PM   #6740
Realistic
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Phaneuf would be another boat anchor on that team to go along with Lucic! It would be hilarious if Chia Pet made that move. This might be fun to watch!
Closed Thread