Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2017, 07:32 PM   #1
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:
Flames Flames name new ECHL affiliate - Kansas City Mavericks

http://cflam.es/2s98s6u

Quote:
The Calgary Flames announced today an affiliation agreement with the East Coast League's Kansas City Mavericks for the 2017-18 season.

"The Calgary Flames are pleased to have reached an affiliate agreement with the East Coast Hockey League's Kansas City Mavericks," said Calgary Flames assistant general manager Brad Pascall. "Our organization was seeking a first class franchise with quality ownership and management that share the same principles and objectives for player development philosophy as our own club and we found a great fit with the owner Lamar Hunt, Jr., general manager Brent Thiessen and the KC Mavericks."

The Mavericks will be replacing the Adirondack Thunder in working with the Flames. A total of six Calgary prospects spent time with Adirondack in 2016-17, including four during the Kelly Cup Playoffs.

"After having an opportunity to talk to several different NHL/AHL teams, we welcome the Calgary Flames and the Stockton Heat as our new affiliate for the 2017-18 season with a series of one-year contracts," said Kansas City Mavericks owner Lamar Hunt Jr. "We believe the Flames organization, while wanting us to help them develop players for future play at the AHL and NHL levels, also understands our need to be consistently competitive in the ECHL. We believe this is the most balanced approach for the Mavericks to win the Kelly Cup, have year-to-year continuity within our roster, and bring to Kansas City talented and young aspiring hockey players."

The Mavericks had been affiliated with the New York Islanders and the AHL's Bridgeport Sound Tigers since the 2015-16 season. Prior to that partnership, the Mavericks worked with the AHL's Chicago Wolves from 2011-12 through 2014-15. Kansas City also had a working agreement with the St. Louis Blues for the 2016-17 campaign while remaining the official affiliate of the Islanders.

"We wanted to move to an organization we know we will have a great relationship with, understands what we were trying to accomplish, and one that we believe we can communicate and work well with," said Mavericks general manager Brent Thiessen. "We're very happy to say that we're now with the Calgary Flames. It's a very successful organization and a very storied franchise. We're lucky to be working with a first class organization such as them."

The Mavericks begin their 2017-18 season on the road with a Friday, Oct. 13 date against the Tulsa Oilers, and will open their home slate on October 28 at 7:05 p.m. against the Wichita Thunder.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 07:37 PM   #2
Mony
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Not related to the Mavericks but I got curious and looked up the Tulsa Oilers and they have a general manager named Taylor Hall. Funny.
Old 06-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #3
Reggie Dunlop
All I can get

Exp:

Reggie Dunlop is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Reggie Dunlop For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 07:59 PM   #4
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

At first glance I thought we were moving to Kansas City hahaha
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:00 PM   #5
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

Adirondack had a terrible logo and cheap looking Walmart wannabe jerseys.

This team has dope jerseys.

I like this move for that reason alone.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 08:12 PM   #6
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavy Jack View Post
At first glance I thought we were moving to Kansas City hahaha
I'm not hahahaing. They have an empty arena and they have barrels of money. Lamar Hunt Sr. founded the AFL football league and the MLS.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 08:19 PM   #7
Heavy Jack
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
I'm not hahahaing. They have an empty arena and they have barrels of money. Lamar Hunt Sr. founded the AFL football league and the MLS.
It was more of a nervous hahaha than a funny hahaha.
Heavy Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Heavy Jack For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #8
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

What ever happened to Scorch? Will the costume be moving to KC or has it been lost forever?

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post

Didn't Adirondack use the Atlanta Flames logo on current Flames jerseys?

Also, looking at the KC jerseys, they are far from 'dope'. Looks like a very minor league logo, vertical striping, and lots of Oiler orange and blue.
Old 06-08-2017, 08:22 PM   #9
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by N-E-B View Post

Their logo looks like Mr Horse from Ren and Stimpy.

No sir, I don't like it.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 08:27 PM   #10
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm glad the KC market has an ECHL team, because that is all they deserve. I still remember when they almost got the Penguins a decade ago. How tragic would that have been...
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ToewsFan For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 09:17 PM   #11
transplant99
Fearmongerer

Location: Wondering when # became hashtag and not a number sign.
Exp:

The horse head jersey returns!!
Old 06-08-2017, 09:36 PM   #12
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

I feel the need...

the need for long-shot prospect development!
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:55 PM   #13
ToewsFan
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
I feel the need...

the need for long-shot prospect development!

Andrew Mangiapane?
ToewsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 09:57 PM   #14
savardandjokinen
son of looooob

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToewsFan View Post
Andrew Mangiapane?
Mangiapane has a 0% chance of playing in the ECHL next year
savardandjokinen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2017, 10:11 PM   #15
Pliddy
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I'm pretty sure the Calgary Flames will not be happy until we tick off every minor league hockey fan in each and every minor league market
Old 06-08-2017, 10:14 PM   #16
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Nice try Flames, but Scorch will NOT be forgotten. Even if Adirondack is no longer in the picture.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to 1qqaaz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-08-2017, 10:58 PM   #17
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1qqaaz View Post
Nice try Flames, but Scorch will NOT be forgotten. Even if Adirondack is no longer in the picture.

Maybe they could make a mascot called "Schorse!"

(It would even work for all goal celebrations: "He shoots he SCHOOORRRSSSEEEE!")

Last edited by drewtastic; 06-09-2017 at 11:58 AM.
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 11:47 PM   #18
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

Of note, they are changing their name this year to the Kansas City Mavericks. Last year they were known as the Missouri Mavericks.

http://www.echl.com/missouri-maveric...ericks-2017-18

Interesting that Matt Finn played for them last season. Flames were very high on him during his draft year. His contract does expire this off-season, and I doubt that the Islanders will re-sign him. He just didn't seem to develop. He is lucky that the Flames are taking over the team (though who knows if he will be back with them next season), as at least it is a team that has a 'book' on him and liked him years ago at least.

One thing that I was interested in seeing is what their goaltending situation is like. They used 5 goalies last season, all aged 21-26, with the oldest goalie getting the majority of starts. The 2nd most and 4th most games played were goalies belonging to the Islanders, so I assume both of these will be gone.

Josh Robinson seemed like the starter last year with 38 games played, but his stats were not at all impressive having a .897 SV%. However, he was there for the last few years, and registered a .912 and .931 SV% the previous seasons. I wonder if the Mavericks are moving on from Robinson, and would be ok with running a tandem of MacDonald and Parsons? If not, it makes it more difficult to find a spot for the existing goalies. Ideally, this is what I would want to see next season:

NHL:
Starter X
Backup Y
(or tandem 1a/1b)

AHL:
Gillies
Rittich

ECHL:
Parsons
MacDonald

Rittich is a legitimate prospect with seemingly good upside. It would be a waste to just get rid of him to free up room. I don't think the Flames are ready to cut-bait with MacDonald yet - though loaning him to another ECHL or even maybe an AHL team is not out of the question. MacDonald equaled the starting goalies' save percentage (.897) last season.

I am not sure that the Mavericks - especially with reading the above press release about developing but also winning and having roster continuity - would be very eager to roll with a Parsons (rookie pro) and MacDonald (2nd year pro, without a strong season to start off).

Flames will be hard-pressed to fit their goalies in next season. Either they find a home for MacDonald by loaning him out, or they end up including one of the goalies in a trade. This does not even included McCollum who has a contract for next season, and who will more than likely not get selected by Vegas in the expansion draft. Brad Pascal is keen to mention McCollum and praise him with almost every interview I hear with him, but the Flames are probably not really interested in retaining McCollum long term, or even worried about developing him.

That's a lot of goalies in the pro ranks. I am not sure that the Flames will be able to find a home for 2 of their goalies. Maybe the Mavericks would be happy with McCollum as their vet (he had a worse SV% in the ECHL than Robinson did - .894 vs .897 - but he had a pretty decent .926 SV% in the AHL last season.

With the Raanta rumors (and every week brings a new goalie rumor it seems), I am not sure that he Flames would want either Rittich or Gillies to backup someone like Raanta who has never been a starter. If it was a Mike Smith or MAF, this perhaps could be solved with just alternating between Gillies and Rittich as backups at the NHL level (not the most terrible idea).

The Mavericks really hold some power here with what they are willing to do in net. I just can't see them willing to run with a Parsons/MacDonald tandem to start the season. Maybe Parsons is a strong enough prospect that they would feel comfortable with? I don't know, but I do think that MacDonald will be more difficult to loan out.

A trade may end up happening (or Rittich may not be re-signed). Lots of questions in net all the way down to the ECHL level.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2017, 08:35 AM   #19
Cheese
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old saying. Where there is a will there is a way.
The Flames will find homes for all wayward sons...count on it.
Cheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 09:33 AM   #20
drewtastic
First Line Centre

Exp:

Meanwhile, in Adirondack...

https://twitter.com/echlthunder/stat...97019466723328
drewtastic is offline   Reply With Quote