Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-17-2017, 07:57 PM   #3621
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Reading trip advisor, sounds like the water isn't great, with a lot of seaweed and the rooms are a little rundown. Going to rethink this... where can I take my wife that has amazing beaches and nice ocean view rooms with IHG points... hmmm.
I don't know anything about IHG points, but my favourite beach is Grand Anse Beach in Grenada. Plus you can travel all over the island and see things. The last time I was in Jamaica was part of a cruise a long time ago, but my understanding is that it can be sketchy outside the resorts.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #3622
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

The cheap flight to Ecuador would have been really helpful if I hadn't already booked an expensive flight to Ecuador. Although I leave the end of July, so I will console myself by thinking the timing wouldn't work anyway.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:15 PM   #3623
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hopefully my last question about trains in Europe! Is it possible, with the appropriate rail pass, to just take regular trains and not pay the reservation fees? I just don't want to end up getting an expensive pass and then still pay a lot on top of it. I found this on the Eurail site, but just wanted to get clarification that... all you do is hop on board, no extra payments?

http://www.eurail.com/en/plan-your-t...ions#timetable
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:00 AM   #3624
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormius View Post
Hopefully my last question about trains in Europe! Is it possible, with the appropriate rail pass, to just take regular trains and not pay the reservation fees? I just don't want to end up getting an expensive pass and then still pay a lot on top of it. I found this on the Eurail site, but just wanted to get clarification that... all you do is hop on board, no extra payments?

Yes. When the conductor comes around, just show your Eurail pass and that's it.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #3625
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by billybob123 View Post
There are also flights to many places in Central America for March break of 2018 - Mexico City for $400, San Salvador for $440, Managua for $469.

Incredible. I wish my kids and wife were more adventurous. Maybe I can convince the bosses (i.e. kids and mom) to go to Mexico City for a week instead of a cruise?
I got the same problem. My wife isn't interested in anything outside of Western Europe or the USA. Sun destination all-inclusives are the only exception.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:54 AM   #3626
Eric Vail
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:

With the cheap charter airlines in Europe now, I don't know why people buy Eurail passes anymore. Fly the long distances and pay out of pocket for the short ones.
Eric Vail is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #3627
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eric Vail View Post
With the cheap charter airlines in Europe now, I don't know why people buy Eurail passes anymore. Fly the long distances and pay out of pocket for the short ones.
Jumping on a train is way more convenient than going to the airport, going through security, sitting in some cramped plane.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cappy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 10:26 AM   #3628
temple5
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

With Eurail just be careful about where you sit. The last time I used it I was bumped 3 or 4 different times because a company had booked a whole car and I wasnt aware of it or even how to figure it out.

It really blows getting a choice seat and then 4 stops later having to leave and there are only singles left in the other cars.

After the first bump I tried to figure out if it would happen again but wasnt able to figure out how.
temple5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:37 PM   #3629
Wormius
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I think (not for sure) that it will be a more enjoyable way to see some of Europe. We're traveling with 2 kids, and at a pretty leisurely pace and not worry too much about getting to airports and checking stuff in, etc.
Wormius is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Wormius For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 02:13 PM   #3630
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Rail is much more convenient and comfortable than planes in Europe. A lot of short , medium haul flights and the headaches of an airport, rail is still much faster. Not to mention that most cheap charter airlines in Europe fly from 2nd tier out of the way airports.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:38 PM   #3631
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I think (not for sure) that it will be a more enjoyable way to see some of Europe. We're traveling with 2 kids, and at a pretty leisurely pace and not worry too much about getting to airports and checking stuff in, etc.
Are you going from Netherlands to Paris???

You should look at the Thaly's train. Runs daily i think.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:59 PM   #3632
Meelapo
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
Rail is much more convenient and comfortable than planes in Europe. A lot of short , medium haul flights and the headaches of an airport, rail is still much faster. Not to mention that most cheap charter airlines in Europe fly from 2nd tier out of the way airports.
Yes. We go to Europe for about a month every year and after doing planes for three years straight we are stopping that. The cheaper airlines usually end up landing in out of the way airports and it takes a long time to get to the middle of the city. Rail, on the other hand, typically drops you off smack-dab in the middle of a city and you don't have to waste time.

The only time that using rail seems to be challenging is in Eastern Europe where there are very few high speed trains.
Meelapo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 05:11 PM   #3633
Amethyst
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
From my experience, the cheap airlines fly out of airports which are far from the sites you want to see and inconvenient to get to. Trains stations tend to be close to downtown and you can quickly get there on transit. Plus trains tend to be more comfortable, you can easily get up and walk around, and you get to see a bit of the country-side as you travel.
Old 05-19-2017, 10:33 AM   #3634
jwslam
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meelapo View Post
Yes. We go to Europe for about a month every year and after doing planes for three years straight we are stopping that. The cheaper airlines usually end up landing in out of the way airports and it takes a long time to get to the middle of the city. Rail, on the other hand, typically drops you off smack-dab in the middle of a city and you don't have to waste time..
This. I wasted so much time trying to get from Luton to Slough.
https://www.google.ca/maps/dir/Sloug...51.8762646!3e3
jwslam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:53 AM   #3635
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Bit the bullet and booked a trip to Montego Bay in August. Going for 14 days, all my points gone in one fell swoop.
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StrykerSteve For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 09:27 AM   #3636
powderjunkie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Anyone have any experience with AeroMexico? I'd never even heard of them until recently.
powderjunkie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #3637
cmyden
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderjunkie View Post
Anyone have any experience with AeroMexico? I'd never even heard of them until recently.
The first Aeromexico flights from Calgary start in June. From the comments I've seen from people in the Canadian cities that Mexico City already serves (Vancouver, Toronto, Montreal) - most people seem to say it's about the same (or possibly slightly better) as flying with any U.S. based airline (which I suppose could range from average to nightmarish these days).

I have seen people complain about Mexico City airport (MEX) - which all Aeromexico flights from Canada connect through. Apparently going through security and customs can sometimes take a long time.

Here's some comments from earlier in the year from the Vancouver (YVR) crowd when someone asked about experiences with Aeromexico (names and pics removed for privacy).

-

Flight deals from other cities: Vancouver - Edmonton - Saskatoon - Regina - Winnipeg - Toronto - Montreal - Ottawa - Halifax

Last edited by cmyden; 05-23-2017 at 01:11 PM.
cmyden is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cmyden For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 03:26 PM   #3638
rain_e
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Bit the bullet and booked a trip to Montego Bay in August. Going for 14 days, all my points gone in one fell swoop.
If you have the opportunity to not stay in Montego Bay then do it. I've stayed there a few times but my last trip I stayed in Negril and it is much better.
rain_e is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rain_e For This Useful Post:
Old 05-23-2017, 04:17 PM   #3639
Deviaant
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Im headed back to Jamaica here shortly for the 3rd time in as many years. Yeah Montego Bay is not exactly the cleanest place in the world and yes parts can look sketchy. I find it to be like anywhere else you go, if you go looking for trouble you will find it.

Ive walked around Montego Bay lots and yeah it kinda looks a bit rundown but its Jamaica. The one thing ive come to learn from my last few trips to Jamaica is they more or less assume you are wealthy if you are a white guy, and you do get approached to buy anything and everything but ive never run into anybody too pushy.

I think its a great country with a great culture.

As im sure you have been told already, go to Scotchies. Its a short cab ride from your hotel. The jerk is fantastic.

Hope you and the wife have a great time Steve.

Sent from my LG-H812 using Tapatalk
Deviaant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:41 PM   #3640
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Question, if my wife and I are travelling to Europe together, but coming home on different dates is it possible to book that on the same itinerary? Or are we better to do that separate?

Thanks!
Fuzz is offline   Reply With Quote