Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-17-2017, 04:53 PM   #281
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

That trailer got me excited for the series. The production value looks great. I didn't think the acting was all that wooden.

Not sure what's going on with the Klingons either but they're smart enough to give us an explanation of why they look like they do.

Last edited by KTrain; 05-17-2017 at 04:56 PM.
KTrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:02 PM   #282
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

It looks alright -- at least the visuals look great and the ship looks a lot better than the super early teaser last year.

Agreed the acting seemed a little flat, and the Klingons look a lot like the weird interpretation from Into Darkness. I'll obviously be watching, it's been way too long since we've had true canon Star Trek. The trailer didn't get me super pumped, but it didn't totally deflate either.

Also, the music was a bit boring. Just seemed like generic trailer music they added in after they already cut it. Hopefully the show gets a great, unique theme like all the other series (less unique than Enterprise though, please).
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 05:50 PM   #283
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I don't think that ship is discovery, I think its the Shenzhou we didn't see Discovery or its captain in the trailer.

The Vulcan is Sarek so I'm guessing that the young vulcan with the human tongue is Spock.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:13 PM   #284
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I'm not all that thrilled after watching this trailer.

Re created Klingons, really wooden acting.

https://streamable.com/pmp54
I mean, it's a Star Trek TV show. You have three possibilities

1. Wooden
2. Hammy
3. Patrick Stewart
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 07:28 PM   #285
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Nope. I'm out.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Handsome B. Wonderful For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 07:59 PM   #286
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow! Two female leads in one show… Star Trek is trying to out gender-equality the Star Wars franchise!

In all seriousness, the trailer did nothing to get me really excited for the new series. As has been noted, the acting seemed really wooden to me, and I don't get the point of remodelling the Klingons. And yet another sci-fi prequel?!? It seems like original ideas are going extinct in Hollywood.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:00 PM   #287
Mazrim
CP Gamemaster

Exp:

I don't get the negative talk...I thought the trailer was interesting. I'll be watching it.

I haven't seen Star Trek Beyond yet, for the record.
Mazrim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:55 PM   #288
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I loved the trailer.

The captain is the logical reasoner, the commander is the swashbuckler.

A reverse of TOS on that front. Following the TNG model but, the commander here seems more like the Kirk character compared to Riker.

Two strong female leads.

A reverse on TOS on that front also.

Great visuals, and I don't get how you can criticize the acting watching a trailer, I had immediate like of both the captain and commander characters, I like the dynamic.

I had low expectations that have now been raised quite a bit.

"Starfleet doesn't fire first"..... interesting exchange in that dialogue.

"We have engaged the Klingons"... channeling Picard?

Last edited by Kjesse; 05-17-2017 at 09:00 PM.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kjesse For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 09:22 PM   #289
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Oh man go back and watch the first season of ST:TNG for some wooden acting.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #290
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
I actually just binged the entire series over the last month.

Pretty bad.

I haven't definitively decided if the worst part of the show is Wesley Crusher or William Riker: Lothario

I still love it overall though.
nik- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 10:34 PM   #291
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
We are in the Golden age of TV in this show has a lot of competition. Standards are higher.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:55 AM   #292
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not all that thrilled after watching this trailer.

Re created Klingons, really wooden acting.

https://streamable.com/pmp54
I actually like it. The purists may not be appeased, but it certainly looks really good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTrain View Post
That trailer got me excited for the series. The production value looks great. I didn't think the acting was all that wooden.

Not sure what's going on with the Klingons either but they're smart enough to give us an explanation of why they look like they do.
I was thinking the same thing, hopefully it stands up n the story department and it isnt just trying to dazzle us with fancy graphics.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 09:05 AM   #293
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
I actually just binged the entire series over the last month.

Pretty bad.

I haven't definitively decided if the worst part of the show is Wesley Crusher or William Riker: Lothario

I still love it overall though.
Wesley would have been better if he would have broken out in the Snerkle song more often.

Jonathon "Friggen Corn" Frakes was just terrible throughout that show, his making Riker deeper idea was growing a beard, and then shaving it off.

I think that we all got distracted by Patrick Stewart once he decided to put an effort into that series, because frankly the rest of the core group, Data, Troi Worf were terrible. And the secondary guys like Crusher et al knew that they were basically furniture.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #294
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Wesley would have been better if he would have broken out in the Snerkle song more often.

Jonathon "Friggen Corn" Frakes was just terrible throughout that show, his making Riker deeper idea was growing a beard, and then shaving it off.

I think that we all got distracted by Patrick Stewart once he decided to put an effort into that series, because frankly the rest of the core group, Data, Troi Worf were terrible. And the secondary guys like Crusher et al knew that they were basically furniture.
Isnt it commonly known that Jonthan Frakes did ST:TNG completely hammered off his ass?

I remember watching an interview with Patrick Stewart where he claimed he had to pick Frakes up and take him home from the set everyday.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 05-18-2017, 09:17 AM   #295
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Isnt it commonly known that Jonthan Frakes did ST:TNG completely hammered off his ass?

I remember watching an interview with Patrick Stewart where he claimed he had to pick Frakes up and take him home from the set everyday.
Its probably why later on they had to change the uniforms because Fat Riker was blowing out two a day.

I remember hearing that story and laughing when they tried to make Riker a Canadian in one episode.

I mean I guess he had a plum gig

He got to sit on a couch and watch a big TV and let a bald guy make the decisions and be the hard a%% and his only job was to say "Red Alert"

He hung out in the bar, and played a flute once in a while and basically picked up chicks.

He'd spend a couple of hours a day walking around the ship giving guy nods.

And he plowed an alien and later married an alien who could read his mind (Ok that ones not good"

I always kind of laughed in the series finale when he finally had command of his own ship and all he did was fight with Worf.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:19 AM   #296
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Isnt it commonly known that Jonathan Frakes did ST:TNG completely hammered off his ass?

He certainly did the VIP opening night of the Star Trek Experience at SPARK hammered off his ass. It was pretty clear to everyone who attended I think.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Canehdianman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #297
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

He was so bad at playing off of a drunk troi in Star Trek first contact that its clear that he's not a method actor.

But by that time the actress that played Troi was pretty much mailing it in as well

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 05-18-2017 at 09:27 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #298
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its probably why later on they had to change the uniforms because Fat Riker was blowing out two a day.

I remember hearing that story and laughing when they tried to make Riker a Canadian in one episode.

I mean I guess he had a plum gig

He got to sit on a couch and watch a big TV and let a bald guy make the decisions and be the hard a%% and his only job was to say "Red Alert"

He hung out in the bar, and played a flute once in a while and basically picked up chicks.

He'd spend a couple of hours a day walking around the ship giving guy nods.

And he plowed an alien and later married an alien who could read his mind (Ok that ones not good"

I always kind of laughed in the series finale when he finally had command of his own ship and all he did was fight with Worf.
Oh, no doubt, Riker's gig was the best. If you'll note every time Picard lets Riker in charge everything goes straight to hell.

"I dont know what happened JL! I swear that planet wasnt there the last time I looked...chug, chug...."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canehdianman View Post
He certainly did the VIP opening night of the Star Trek Experience at SPARK hammered off his ass. It was pretty clear to everyone who attended I think.
Which just makes me laugh.

The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 09:38 AM   #299
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Oh, no doubt, Riker's gig was the best. If you'll note every time Picard lets Riker in charge everything goes straight to hell.

"I dont know what happened JL! I swear that planet wasnt there the last time I looked...chug, chug...."

Which just makes me laugh.
Riker's career is summed up in the two parter where Picard was taken by the Borg and Riker has the ship reconfigured into a super canon by once again reconfiguring the main deflector array.

He's the man now, in command he's going to fire the biggest gun in the galaxy baby.

He gets his confrontation and he relishes the moment face to face with his mentor his friend his captain.

He pauses dramatically and probably thinks

"This is it, I'm the man, I'm in charge, there's no Piccard around to dick block me. Oh yeah look at Troi looking at me, yeah who's the captain now baby, and that Ensign Gibbler over there, I'm thinking blammo and then a Captains ha ha table later.

But Focus Billy, you have to save the universe, oh and kill Picard. Frankly I've been wanting to do that for a while. Heh heh heh we could probably save him but then again, the perfect murder yeah. And when I get done blasting him with this mega canon I'm driving this rig straight to earth to blow up star fleet academy, screw you Jim Slobinksi for giving me a swirly. Then after that I'm going after my dad, heres looking at you, you son of a b%%%"

Then he sneers and almost says "Red Alert", but instead savors saying "Fire"

And Boing shot bounces off of the Borg ship and the main defector array explodes leaving the enterprise stranded and the look on Locutus's face gives all the thoughts

"F you fat Riker, you can't even get this right, frankly you're not worth assimilating we don't want to add cheap malt liquor to the collective you rumy"

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 05-18-2017 at 09:43 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 09:59 AM   #300
Parallex
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

The visuals on that trailer look amazing... the cinematography is really not what I'm used to on a Trek series. I'm in.

Although I really do wish that they hadn't done a prequel. A while back I read a pitch that someone (Bryan Singer I think) made for a new Trek series a ways back set a couple of centuries after the TNG/DS9/Voy period where the Federation was going to emerge from a period of decline (lack of exploration, insular thinking, etc. etc.) really wish we could have gotten something like that.
Parallex is offline   Reply With Quote