Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 05-13-2017, 02:02 PM   #1921
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by d_phaneuf View Post
West ham should be a tough game for Liverpool but they are coming down off their cup final and the season is technically over so their minds might be at Ibiza already

It would be much more of a slip for them to lose to Boro next week anyway

Either way city and arsenal get in I think. United do through EL
Haha, that's hilarious and so true.

I don't know who finishes out but it has to be uncomfortable for them if United wins the EL and there are five English teams in CL.
Slava is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 08:21 AM   #1922
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think we have our winner for worst miss of the year, not once, but twice.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:09 AM   #1923
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

One win down, one to go. Very good performance today.
The Big Chill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 07:22 PM   #1924
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Big win for Spurs today to close out the season at White Hart Lane and remain undefeated at home. The point total now is their highest ever and they locked up second place with that victory. Pretty large improvement over last season when after the Stamford Bridge setback they basically mailed it in. I think its a sign that the team has matured some and is making some nice progress.

The send off at the lane was awesome overall. The atmosphere looked great and it was helped of course by the strong team performance.

With the loss United is officially out of the top four and to qualify for CL they have to win the EL final. I thought that they looked pretty bad defensively today and the only reason they were really in the game at all was De Gea. He made a couple huge saves and covered for lapses for sure. United didn't show a whole lot going forward either. Although that could be as much due to the fact that there was a lot of rotation and it was pretty obvious that the focus is on Ajax and not the league now.
The Following User Says Thank You to Slava For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2017, 08:06 PM   #1925
Kipper is King
Pants Tent

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
I think we have our winner for worst miss of the year, not once, but twice.
I swore in multiple languages upon seeing that!
Old 05-16-2017, 07:20 AM   #1926
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

The James to United rumours are heating up and it sickens me. Overhyped, overpriced, forced out of Madrid, terrible fit. Sounds like a typical United transfer. Every idiot can spend a ####load of money when it grows on trees like at United, but it'd be great if they for once put marketing interests behind and instead went for players who actually make sense.

You just know that Woodward is going to flip DDG for James and feel smart about it, while Florentino can't believe his luck again.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 08:32 AM   #1927
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Has James really been that bad? Honest question, I don't follow Real much at all. It wasn't too long ago that he was looking like the next big star.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:36 AM   #1928
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

he's not bad, don't get me wrong. But he's a classic #10 and can't play on the wing at all. Makes no sense shelling out €50m+ if he doesn't fit at all.
Old 05-17-2017, 10:51 AM   #1929
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

This is a nice interactive chart of the EPL season

https://public.tableau.com/views/Whe...play_count=yes

Liverpool has too many red squares below the line. They did not lose a single game out of 14 to the top 8.
Leicester lost a bunch of road games to lesser teams.

Last edited by GirlySports; 05-17-2017 at 10:54 AM.
GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:28 PM   #1930
Bagor
Franchise Player

Exp:

Regarding the Rodriguez to United rumours.
The Independent looks at it from a very different angle and the money making behind why these stories are floated out there. Worth bearing in mind.
Quote:
Sky Sports reports and Sky Bet reacts: The unsettling tale of James Rodriguez's non-move to Manchester United
The potential for unsettling conflict of interests exist when gambling organisations have sister companies with the ability to influence and move the betting markets

Sky Sports News HQ runs the story that the player has been offered to United and implies the club are interested. The Sky Bet Twitter feed picks up some of his more flattering statistics. Sky Bet makes United the 3-1 favourites to sign him.

The Sky Bet market on the supposed transfer becomes so popular that all bets are suspended. And Sky UK, the 20 per cent owner of Sky Bet, pockets the money for a deal which will not happen.
http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/f...-a7741021.html

Bagor is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bagor For This Useful Post:
Old 05-17-2017, 12:42 PM   #1931
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

never even considered that kind of angle because I pretty much despise everything that involves betting, but it makes sense. Not really surprising that companies try to make money from the silly season in whichever way possible.

Looks like DDG played his last United game on Sunday. Sergio Romero starts in goal today as well as in the EL final next week, and Joel Pereira will be handed his full debut on Sunday against Palace. I'd love to be wrong again, but this time, I think he's really gone.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:36 PM   #1932
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

A live look in at Spurs/Leicester:

rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to rubecube For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #1933
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

He's a one season wonder though
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to d_phaneuf For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #1934
Slava
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah Leicester was just a mess. Spurs were good, but what an embarrassment. Kane scored four though and he is a pair of goals ahead of Lukaku for the Golden Boot. Pretty impressive considering how many weeks he missed this season.
Old 05-18-2017, 02:40 PM   #1935
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

24 goals in 28 games

Likely back to back golden boots
Old 05-18-2017, 02:42 PM   #1936
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Leicester have been on the beach though since out of cl

But from a spurs perspective after their performances dropped so much after title was lost out last year, poch said they were young and it wouldn't happen again, and based on last few games he's been right. Encouraging to see
Old 05-18-2017, 02:43 PM   #1937
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

finally!!!

Quote:
Players who dive or feign injury could face two-match suspensions from the start of next season after the Football Association voted in favour of introducing retrospective bans.

The new offence of “successful deception of a match official” is based on a law already used in Scotland and was approved at the FA’s annual general meeting at Wembley.

Incidents will be reviewed by a panel comprising a former manager, an ex-player and former referee, who will watch the footage independently. If they are unanimous in believing a player deceived a match official, the sanction will be a two-match ban.

This process is similar to the one already used for red-card offences which were missed at the time but caught on camera, and the cases will be fast-tracked.

The FA said: “Although attempts to deceive the referee by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled is a cautionable offence for unsporting behaviour, the fact that the act of simulation has succeeded in deceiving a match official and, therefore, led to a penalty and/or dismissal, justifies a more severe penalty which would act as a deterrent.”

If a player admits to a charge of successfully deceiving an official, or is found to have done so, any yellow or red card given to an opposing player, as a result of the deceit, can be rescinded. The new rule will apply across English football and has been supported by the English Football League, the League Managers Association, the Premier League and the Professional Footballers’ Association.
https://www.theguardian.com/football...ry-next-season
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2017, 05:24 PM   #1938
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
"Chris Smalling has a problem, but a small problem that I think is no problem at all for next week. It’s a problem for the weekend but not for the final. Marouane Fellaini is the question mark; we wait for today’s scans, we decided not to do it yesterday. Again, his feelings aren’t bad, but let’s wait. Tim Fosu-Mensah plays on Sunday and, if the reaction is good, and if he manages to play the game without problems, he’s a new option for us for the final."

A number of young players trained in front of the media on Friday morning, including 16-year-old Angel Gomes and he could make a sensational debut.

"You will have the two goalkeepers, Joel Pereira and Kieran O’Hara," explained Mourinho. "We will have Demi Mitchell, Scott McTominay, Josh Harrop, Matty Willock, Angel Gomes and Zachary Dearnley. I think that’s it. Plus Tim Fosu-Mensah and Axel Tuanzebe, so lots of them."
http://www.manutd.com/en/News-And-Fe...al-palace.aspx

all of the sudden going to be an interesting match for United fans. If Gomes plays, he'll be the youngest United player since the 50s.
Old 05-21-2017, 08:27 AM   #1939
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Six goals in a 90 minute stretch (over two games of course) for Harry Kane. Not bad. Also, this must be torture for Liverpool fans with City and Arsenal cruising as they remain goalless to Boro (and get away with a potential penalty too).

Last edited by Senator Clay Davis; 05-21-2017 at 08:29 AM.
Senator Clay Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 09:53 AM   #1940
The Big Chill
I believe in the Jays.

Exp:

Huge win for Liverpool today! Back in the CL, and I'm pretty happy with that season. Could be a tough qualifier, but that's for another day.