Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-28-2017, 09:56 AM   #141
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

LOL the CFL is so bush league. Tampering should warrant a loss of draft pick IMO.
Erick Estrada is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 11:33 AM   #142
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dash_pinched View Post
As I often see on RF.com, "Keep 'em comin' Jonesy"
Jones is under a lot of pressure this year, especially with the new building opening.

He's been pretty underwhelming as a coach, he makes baffling and stupid calls.

As well, he and Murphy (Who's exit from the Stamps was supposed to expose Huff as a hack) have done a terrible job with the Riders. To me, they've actually managed to weaken a 5-13 team. At the same time they've bought the Riders into the limelight for the wrong reason with illegal taxi squads and tryout squads and now tampering.

If this team starts off badly I wouldn't be surprised if these two are shown the door quickly. A new Stadium and a bad team can only take you so far.

When I look at this team

QB's - Horrible, probably looking like the worst QB group in the CFL right now.

RB's - They're going to put the workload on LaFrance, and while he's looked decent, he's not someone that I would build my offense around

Receivers - Jones really went to town on this and its a strong group. but receivers are easy to recruit.

OL - We're going to find out if Dennis was really that good, or if he benefited from the excellent job that the Stamps do in coaching and training their line. It should be a decent group.

Thoughts - As much as the CFL is a throwing game, you really need to establish a strong run game to avoid becoming predictable. I'm not sold on LaFrance as a full time starter. Their offensive line is decent, but I do wonder if Dennis will scheme struggle, the real problem is at QB. Young has been out of football and he's never been thought of as a "Smart" QB, and the CFL rewards smart QB's who make good decisions because of 3 vs 4 down football. I like Kevin Glenn, he seems like a good guy. But as a QB you just don't win if he's the guy that has to win the games for you and he's not young. Bridge has some potential, he's got a nice arm and he has some receivers to work with, but young QB's make big mistakes.

On defensive

They have a billion defensive linemen coming to camp and while Gaydosh is an interesting pickup they don't have much that really stands out. Jefferson is a good defensive end, but I just don't see that complimentary piece on the other side.

Their linebacking corp is strange especially with the release of Love earlier this month it leave Henroc Muamba as the leader and he will probably be their solution at SAM this year, but its a young group.

Their secondary looks atrocious with Ed Gainey leading the way. Let me put it this way, if Tevaugn Campbell starts, you know your well and truly in the bag.

I wouldn't be surprised if this team is a 3 or 4 win team. its short on talent, its Canadian depth is underwhelming and Jones as a coach is build to come into a great team and push it over the top and then leave. This isn't the gig for him.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2017, 01:13 PM   #143
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love how on riderfans.com you have the mods trying to calm the masses with their "Last year was a complete tear down, the likes of which no one in these parts has ever seen before" comments that are supposed to excuse the abomination that was last season on and off the field for the organization. Is anyone there intelligent enough to surmise there's a reason for that teams don't go full teardown? Jones is a good coach and knows enough about recruiting to get himself into trouble which is exactly what he's done in Regina. He's still living off the reputation of his Eskimos Grey Cup win because if anyone else had done what he did last season they would have been run out of town but Riders brass is so desperate to win that they have seemingly become the organization that they despised for decades.

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 04-28-2017 at 01:17 PM.
Old 04-28-2017, 01:33 PM   #144
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Chris Jones is absolute garbage and he proves it over, and over, and over again. I wonder what the Rider fans would think of this guy if pulling this crap in Edmonton or Calgary? Would the league still just be out to get him or jealous of his launch into status of football genius?

I'd bet money Jones will be out of the CFL as soon as he's pitchforked out of Saskatchewan. He's just burnt far too many bridges.

Last edited by TheAlpineOracle; 04-28-2017 at 01:42 PM.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 05:30 PM   #145
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

I've always been a fan of Edem ever since his days with the Dinos at the University of Calgary. Always tough making a trade within the division, but if it doesn't cost too much, I'd love to see Huf bring Mike to the Stamps.

The 27-year-old recorded 37 tackles with two interceptions over 17 games with the Lions during the 2016 season, his first in BC. Edem has 89 tackles, five sacks and six interceptions over 60 career games in the CFL with the Montreal Alouettes, Hamilton Tiger-Cats and Lions.

Edem, a product of the Calgary Dinos, signed a two-year contract with the Lions last February.

During his rookie campaign with the Als in 2013, Edem was named an East Division All-Star and was nominated for the Outstanding Canadian and Outstanding Rookie awards.

http://www.tsn.ca/lions-close-to-tra...-edem-1.737727
dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 05:03 PM   #146
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

@Arielle_zerr:
Story to come but spoke with #Riders President Craig Reynolds today about the team's latest fines... (con't).

“I share (the fans') disappointment and we’ve talked about it internally and we don’t expect this to happen again."

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 04:32 PM   #147
Drake
Franchise Player

Exp:

Horrible news. Thoughts and prayers go out to Geroy and his family.

Quote:
It is with deep and profound sadness the BC Lions Football Club today reports the passing of Tracy Lasorsa-Simon, wife of Geroy Simon, the club’s director of Canadian scouting.

“We are devastated at the news of Tracy’s passing and we ask that you keep the entire Simon family in your thoughts and prayers during this incredibly difficult time,” said VP of football operations, GM and head coach Wally Buono.

“Tracy has been part of the BC Lions family for more than a decade and her loss is heart-breaking for all of us.”

The Simon family has requested privacy at this time
http://www.bclions.com/2017/04/30/bc...lasorsa-simon/

Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:14 PM   #148
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That's awful news, Geroy was a great player and a great ambassador for the game.

Old 04-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #149
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Very sad news, thoughts and prayers to Geroy and his family at this very difficult time.
Old 05-01-2017, 11:16 AM   #150
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Terrible news for the Simon family. I understand that there was no news about her being ill or anything so this must have been sudden.
Old 05-02-2017, 01:37 PM   #151
Bobblehead
Franchise Player

Exp:

Eric Rogers released by the 49ers.
—Daniel J. Boorstin, historian, former Librarian of Congress
"But the Senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity"
—WKRP in Cincinatti
Bobblehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 01:40 PM   #152
dirk diggler
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead View Post
Eric Rogers released by the 49ers.
would think he would have been given a longer look after the injury...
dirk diggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 02:25 PM   #153
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would love for Eric to return to the Stamps, but I'm sure he wants to exhaust every NFL opportunity that might be out there first.
Old 05-02-2017, 02:28 PM   #154
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Coming back from that kind of knee injury is going to be tough. But he did have a bidding situation when the 49'ers signed him so I would expect that he will get some looks.

I would love to see him come back up here. But I think we're going to be ok in terms of receivers.

Old 05-04-2017, 01:35 PM   #155
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

TORONTO — Five prospects for the 2017 CFL draft have been deemed ineligible for anti-doping violations, the league announced Friday.

Kent State long-snapper Kain Anzovino, McGill receiver Moy McDonald, Carleton defensive lineman Daniel McNicholl and Calgary receiver Rashaun Simonise all had their draft years deferred to 2018 as a result of anti-doping rule violations for the use of banned substances.

The CFL also said Regina linebacker Michael Stefanovic is removing himself from this year's draft even though a violation of the league's anti-doping rules hasn't yet been confirmed. The league added Stefanovic intends to exercise his right to a hearing.

http://www.tsn.ca/five-cfl-prospects...erred-1.742818
Old 05-07-2017, 12:13 AM   #156
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-07-2017, 01:35 PM   #157
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Pretty tough scheduling with the CFL draft going up against game 6 between the Ducks and Oilers.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:12 PM   #158
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bombers select Faith Ekakitie (defensive lineman from Iowa) as the number 1 overall pick.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:19 PM   #159
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Makes sense that the Riders pick Judge with the 2nd pick as their players seem to spend considerable time in court.
Old 05-07-2017, 05:37 PM   #160
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

CFL guy can't pronounce Saskatchewan, lol.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 05-07-2017 at 05:43 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneyGuy For This Useful Post: