Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2017, 06:23 PM   #4461
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well at least your brain is fine and you aren't repeating yourself. That would be a sign of an issue...
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 07:48 PM   #4462
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

^ lol...
Old 04-20-2017, 05:34 PM   #4463
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Rode home today in shorts and a t-shirt...it felt really nice.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:39 PM   #4464
KTrain
ALL ABOARD!

Exp:

My ass-savor fell off my bike at some point on the way home this afternoon. Do any LSBs carry them?
Old 04-20-2017, 06:04 PM   #4465
InglewoodFan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

It's a small thing, but I am loving that my new job is close enough and flat enough that I just hop on my bike in khakis and a dress shirt. I used to ride a ton and seriously fell off the wagon in the last 4 years or so. Happy to get back in the saddle and working my fat ass towards some longer rides.
The Following User Says Thank You to InglewoodFan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2017, 01:16 PM   #4466
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Sad news from the world of pro cycling: Michele Scarponi died today on a training ride after being hit by a van. He was 37 years old.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/mich...d-in-training/

Something nice to remember him with...riding with his feathered friend.

https://twitter.com/MicheleScarponi/...38366674391040

It made me think twice on my ride today and I stayed on the pathways.
Old 04-22-2017, 04:59 PM   #4467
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Took my thunderbolt on a rip thru Fisk crib today and conditions on the trail were surprisingly good. Some low lying sections were muddy.

After some upgrades this winter ( volume spacers in rear shock and bearings in the pivots) the suspension felt great.

Starting to wonder if my Cali peers are leaking or something as the brakes(xt) were a little spongy. I tried to burp them and topped the up with fluid and they felt better.

Will try and ride again tomorrow.
Old 04-23-2017, 10:14 AM   #4468
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

So I went for a bike fitting at Campione last week, and at this point, it looks like I'll be going forward with a Ritchey Swiss Cross. I was also considering the Road Logic, but I like the idea of having a bit more flexibility with wheel width, and I feel like a cross bike may be a bit more suited to urban conditions.

I'm looking at the build specs and I have a few decisions to make that I was hoping I could get a bit of insight on from you much more experienced riders. Keep in mind that this bike will be almost exclusively used for pathway/street use, during 3 seasons (I'm just not that hardcore). My goal is to have something that has the light weight/agility of a road bike, but be a bit more forgiving on crappy roads.

1) Any thoughts on a disc vs canti brakes for pathway/urban use? I know that discs are better for crappy weather, rim life...but also heavier and require a bit more maintenance. Is it overkill, or good future proofing?

2)At the moment, I'm looking to spec with Shimano 105s. However I'm also intrigued by the X1 setups from SRAM. Any thoughts on those? I like the idea of simplifying...both mechanically and aesthetically. I do prefer the aesthetics of Shimanos though over the busier SRAM graphics, ha.

3) What width and/or type of tire do you recommend? I've ridden on 25mm road bikes, and maybe because I'm coming off a mountain bike, I felt they get a bit squirrelly on roads that aren't full cleaned. Would 30-35mm slicks make more sense?

Here's the Swiss Cross btw...in the Disc frame with the SRAM x1.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 10:58 AM   #4469
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Table 5 View Post
Any thoughts on a disc vs canti brakes for pathway/urban use? I know that discs are better for crappy weather, rim life...but also heavier and require a bit more maintenance. Is it overkill, or good future proofing?
I have canti brakes on my cx bike and, for stopping power, they are fine. However, I can never get them dialled in so I'd prefer discs in that regard. I don't think there is a right/wrong answer.

Quote:
At the moment, I'm looking to spec with Shimano 105s. However I'm also intrigued by the X1 setups from SRAM. Any thoughts on those? I like the idea of simplifying...both mechanically and aesthetically. I do prefer the aesthetics of Shimanos though over the busier SRAM graphics, ha.
Well, I personally don't like SRAM haha, but certainly the trend is moving to 1x set-ups. There is nothing to say that you can't employ a 1x set-up with Shimano, though.

Quote:
What width and/or type of tire do you recommend? I've ridden on 25mm road bikes, and maybe because I'm coming off a mountain bike, I felt they get a bit squirrelly on roads that aren't full cleaned. Would 30-35mm slicks make more sense?
I have 30mm all-round CX tires on my bike. They roll nice on pavement. In the winer, I install Continental 38mm winter tires.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #4470
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
So I went for a bike fitting at Campione last week, and at this point, it looks like I'll be going forward with a Ritchey Swiss Cross. I was also considering the Road Logic, but I like the idea of having a bit more flexibility with wheel width, and I feel like a cross bike may be a bit more suited to urban conditions.

I'm looking at the build specs and I have a few decisions to make that I was hoping I could get a bit of insight on from you much more experienced riders. Keep in mind that this bike will be almost exclusively used for pathway/street use, during 3 seasons (I'm just not that hardcore). My goal is to have something that has the light weight/agility of a road bike, but be a bit more forgiving on crappy roads.

1) Any thoughts on a disc vs canti brakes for pathway/urban use? I know that discs are better for crappy weather, rim life...but also heavier and require a bit more maintenance. Is it overkill, or good future proofing?

2)At the moment, I'm looking to spec with Shimano 105s. However I'm also intrigued by the X1 setups from SRAM. Any thoughts on those? I like the idea of simplifying...both mechanically and aesthetically. I do prefer the aesthetics of Shimanos though over the busier SRAM graphics, ha.

3) What width and/or type of tire do you recommend? I've ridden on 25mm road bikes, and maybe because I'm coming off a mountain bike, I felt they get a bit squirrelly on roads that aren't full cleaned. Would 30-35mm slicks make more sense?

Here's the Swiss Cross btw...in the Disc frame with the SRAM x1.

Wow, that's a beaut. My thoughts, based on me.

1) Go disc. Future proof. I find maintenance to be minimal

2) I prefer x1 myself for my mountain bikes and a cross bike. For a road bike, I like more range, although you can get pretty close now a days. Make sure it's 11 speed. My only thing is I much prefer shimano shifters to sram. Just personal preference. Sram makes good stuff.

3) I really like the shwalbe marathon plus in a 28 for an all around tire...it also comes in a 32 and 35. It's bomb proof. Not as fast a a continental gp4000, but it's strong and will last. I use the GP4000 on my road bike, and the marathons on my cross/commuter. Continental does make a gp 4000 all season that is supposed to be awesome, but I have no experience with them. It too comes in multiple sizes like 28 and 32.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 11:06 AM   #4471
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron von Kriterium View Post
Well, I personally don't like SRAM haha, but certainly the trend is moving to 1x set-ups. There is nothing to say that you can't employ a 1x set-up with Shimano, though.
I was under the impression that Shimano only had the XT x1 groupset, which is more for mtb bike use?
Old 04-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #4472
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks guys, I was leaning towards discs already, so good to know. And I appreciate the tire suggestions too. At the moment the build has the Schwalbe CX Comp 30s.

The alternative to to that Swiss Cross is the Outback.

A couple of advantages:

1) From what it sounds like its a bit of a middle ground between the road and cross. It has a lower bottom bracket, so it's probably a bit more road use friendly. Also has through axles...although I'm not really sure what the benefit of that is, ha.

2) I love the teal paintjob. I know, purely aesthetic. Although I don't mind the black of the Swiss Cross either.

The only problem...it's only coming out in September at the earliest.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #4473
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Thanks guys, I was leaning towards discs already, so good to know. And I appreciate the tire suggestions too. At the moment the build has the Schwalbe CX Comp 30s.

The alternative to to that Swiss Cross is the Outback.

A couple of advantages:

1) From what it sounds like its a bit of a middle ground between the road and cross. It has a lower bottom bracket, so it's probably a bit more road use friendly. Also has through axles...although I'm not really sure what the benefit of that is, ha.

2) I love the teal paintjob. I know, purely aesthetic. Although I don't mind the black of the Swiss Cross either.

The only problem...it's only coming out in September at the earliest.
OMG I want that. So is it sounds like it's in that "Gravel Bike" category. I like that niche. Forces me to want a bike I don't really need.
The Following User Says Thank You to bossy22 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #4474
Northendzone
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
a bike I don't really need.
This is absolute crazy talk. There is no such thing as a bike you do not need.
Old 04-23-2017, 01:16 PM   #4475
Baron von Kriterium
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
I was under the impression that Shimano only had the XT x1 groupset, which is more for mtb bike use?
I would order the bike with the 105 crankset. Look for other manufacturers for a single chain ring. Here is an option:

https://www.wolftoothcomponents.com/...shimano-cranks

Thus, keep the bottom bracket and crank and look for a chain ring that will work with the 105 cranks.

A chain ring in range of 38T-42T is probably what you want.
The Following User Says Thank You to Baron von Kriterium For This Useful Post:
Old 04-23-2017, 11:22 PM   #4476
Da_Chief
Franchise Player

Exp:

So now I live close enough to work that I want to start biking.

Haven't ridden a bike since my San Fran trip couple years back and haven't owned one in ages.

My path will be flat and google map shows it to be 5km, 20 minute ride in Red Deer.

I am in Calgary till tuesday then go back up. I don't wana spend too much right off the hop, so where should I go and how much should I be spending? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:05 AM   #4477
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

If this is all you're using it for - I'd get a cheap little hybrid. You can find those for like $500-$700. Similar to the Giant Escape: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/ca/bikes-escape

They have a sub $500 option which was my first bike. Keep in mind - if you enjoy this, the bug will bite and you'll be looking for a newer better bike by fall.
The Following User Says Thank You to Coys1882 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 08:15 AM   #4478
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good deal if you are XL

http://thebikeshop.com/product/rocky...0-246913-1.htm

Tough to get disc brakes in that price range, so this is a good one.
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 08:52 AM   #4479
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

T5, that Outback is beautiful!

Commute felt like I imagine the wet coaster feel like. Looks like the whole week will be this way.

Bought my daughter a new Norco mtb this weekend. She's 8 and has disc brakes!! We went for an hour ride Saturday. I've never ridden so slow or been so happy in my life.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to habernac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2017, 09:47 AM   #4480
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Da_Chief View Post
So now I live close enough to work that I want to start biking.

Haven't ridden a bike since my San Fran trip couple years back and haven't owned one in ages.

My path will be flat and google map shows it to be 5km, 20 minute ride in Red Deer.

I am in Calgary till tuesday then go back up. I don't wana spend too much right off the hop, so where should I go and how much should I be spending? Thanks in advance.
Are you legally required to duallie-ize the back wheel and hang truck nutz from your seat in Red Deer?
Closed Thread