Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Do you feel not using public funds is worth the Flames moving?
Yes 180 32.26%
No 378 67.74%
Voters: 558. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #1701
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducay View Post
Good luck to M. Edwards trying to raise any public funds for the 20,000 seat arena to house this giant turd. Hopefully a good reminder to everyone this isn't some social cause, but a for-profit entertainment product that is hardly entertaining as of late.

Love to see KK threaten to leave again tomorrow.
Because the quality of the product in this playoff round and the need for a new building are somehow connected?
Old 04-19-2017, 09:28 PM   #1702
Ducay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Era View Post
Because the quality of the product in this playoff round and the need for a new building are somehow connected?
100 percent. If the Flames went on a long run, you'd see a heck of a lot more support from the public, just from an emotional point of view.

The Flames "need" a new arena like I "need" a new car. Nice to have, sure. But this was never about basic "needs"
The Following User Says Thank You to Ducay For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 10:31 PM   #1703
SebC
tromboner

Exp:

Some lessons in here, and possibly a warning...

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...on-oilers-game

Quote:
Way back in 2007, Oilers president Patrick LaForge was pointing to “human dams” of washroom and concession lineups in order to illustrate how the team had outgrown its old venue. “The crush space in the food and beverage area is literally crush,” he said at the time. A decade later, city hall has fronted $600 million for a new venue, ticket prices have surged as much as 60 per cent — and the place is still beset with lineups.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SebC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:36 AM   #1704
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SebC View Post
Some lessons in here, and possibly a warning...

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/ca...on-oilers-game
I read this today as well and thought it was pretty prescient.

I also considered the issue of the number of bathrooms in Rogers Place. In the article they mention that the arena itself is pretty segregated. Few bathrooms for the masses, while the premium seats have several bathrooms roped off to general admission.

While I understand the reason from the Oilers point of view, as a City paying millions to aid in the construction of an arena, you would think it would have some say in some of the design features of the building.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:49 AM   #1705
Tyler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
While I understand the reason from the Oilers point of view, as a City paying millions to aid in the construction of an arena, you would think it would have some say in some of the design features of the building.
Ha! That's a cute thought.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tyler For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 09:56 AM   #1706
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post
I also considered the issue of the number of bathrooms in Rogers Place. In the article they mention that the arena itself is pretty segregated. Few bathrooms for the masses, while the premium seats have several bathrooms roped off to general admission.
That's the way pro sports is going. I expect the next generation of arenas after the ones opening now will consist of 900 private suites with their own private bars, washrooms, spas, and kitchens. No plebes, no lineups.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:52 AM   #1707
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
That's the way pro sports is going. I expect the next generation of arenas after the ones opening now will consist of 900 private suites with their own private bars, washrooms, spas, and kitchens. No plebes, no lineups.
It'll be like the old Coliseum. The Roman one, I mean. Fancy stuff for the privileged class, crap for everyone else.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:11 AM   #1708
Flamenspiel
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

That 80$ concourse fee, what kind of an idiot would pay for that? Secondly and more disturbing, what sort of taxpayer would fund an organization that does that?

None of the other Canadian teams have stooped that low, it belongs in the Edmonton is no good thread.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flamenspiel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2017, 12:57 PM   #1709
shermanator
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think the prices the Flames charged for playoff tickets this year further shows that there's no way in hell they move the team if they don't get an arena.

Get 2 lower bowl seats for games 3 and 4, or pay my mortgage? Hmmm, tough choice.

The Following User Says Thank You to shermanator For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 07:28 AM   #1710
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Plan B coming on Monday:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ncil-1.4079031

I for one, hope they make that part of the official name. The Budweiser Plan B Centre. Because accidents happen.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:23 AM   #1711
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Plan B coming on Monday:
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgar...ncil-1.4079031

I for one, hope they make that part of the official name. The Budweiser Plan B Centre. Because accidents happen.
Budweiser Red Light District?
Old 04-21-2017, 08:24 AM   #1712
Ruttiger
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post
That 80$ concourse fee, what kind of an idiot would pay for that? Secondly and more disturbing, what sort of taxpayer would fund an organization that does that?

None of the other Canadian teams have stooped that low, it belongs in the Edmonton is no good thread.
It's a trial balloon. I don't recall guns being put to anyone's head forcing them to buy. If nobody buys tix I suspect they wouldn't be offered going forward.

That said, if I'd paid for a seat I wouldn't be happy about the extra traffic and congestion in the concourse.
Old 04-21-2017, 08:25 AM   #1713
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollin22x View Post
Budweiser Red Light District?
Hey, and if Trudeau continues to do what he's doing, we might actually be able to become Amsterdam lite.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
The Following User Says Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 08:43 AM   #1714
Barnes
Franchise Player

Exp:

Ken King will be happy. I wish I could be the CEO of a company and have the City do my work for me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Barnes For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 10:43 AM   #1715
Scary Eloranta
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Can hardly wait for another thrilling PowerPoint presentation...

Last edited by Scary Eloranta; 04-21-2017 at 10:45 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Scary Eloranta For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 11:39 AM   #1716
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barnes View Post
Ken King will be happy. I wish I could be the CEO of a company and have the City do my work for me.
Just shows how fortunate calgarians are right now they have an opposition force in city hall.

The pressure is so immense to bend over for the Flames, resources around the city are just itching to get that stadium going.

If it was another mayor in charge right now the city of calgary is probably looking at a 1.5 billion arena district liability.

Bullet dodged so far for every property tax paying calgarian.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2017, 12:18 PM   #1717
The Familia
First Line Centre

Exp:

Do you think King will present his vision on the back of a napkin or a piece of loose leaf paper from the recycle bin.
William Jennings Trophy - 2006
Old 04-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #1718
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It'd be cool if they got the same firm that designed Telus Sky to design the arena. Their design for the Redskins stadium is sweeeeeeet.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:26 PM   #1719
Rollin22x
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Familia View Post
Do you think King will present his vision on the back of a napkin or a piece of loose leaf paper from the recycle bin.
He will have an IPad but may not know how it works.
Golden Rod 28lb is the back up.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:29 PM   #1720
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenspiel View Post

Is anyone really surprised an organization that has clearly separate their fans in tiers of importance would not tailor the design of their new arena to cater to fans of more importance to them?

If you look at the seating arrangement there's a large lower bowl for tier one fans, three levels for corporate suites, and tier two is tucked up near the roof. That said I would imagine that the Flames new arena would be somewhat similar as that's kind of the way newer arenas are being designed.
Closed Thread