Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-19-2017, 11:11 PM   #41
N-E-B
Franchise Player

Exp:

I actually grew to quite like GG. I have my issues with him but I hope he's back next year. I though he did a pretty good job overall.

This series is on Elliott in my opinion. I don't think Johnson was 100% healthy either which is probably why he didn't start the game.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:11 PM   #42
burn_this_city
Franchise Player

Exp:

Gulutzan did pretty well in his first season. I was pretty suspicious after the slow start and complete lack of cohesion in the first few months. PP and PK were good after being terrible at the start. Hard to hang the series loss on him. Other than the decision to play Elliott tonight there isn't much to gripe about.
burn_this_city is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #43
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
Why do you say that. His team outplayed, outshot and out chances the Ducks for the better part of the series. His most questionable decision was his choice for starting goalie tonight. What exactly are we hanging on him, Elliott's save percentage?
And got swept. Elliot was brutal but there was a real lack of resiliency in the group after some of those goals or bad breaks. I think the coach has a role in stabilizing and refocusing his team when things are going sideways, and getting them to believe they can overcome those situations. I saw their heads drop way too much.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Igottago For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:14 PM   #44
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yes, bring him back, but i'm uneasy about it. Was that hot streak for real, or is he a flash in the pan.

Let me put it another way: I feel the same way about gg coming back as I did about Elliott going into the third period in Game 3.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:15 PM   #45
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
Gulutzan is a rookie head coach. He made a ton of little mistakes this season and got a fair share of criticism for them, however he worked many of them out in the long run, plus improved the team significantly over last season. He stays put. Get him a better 4th line and goaltending duo and see what he can do next year.
Actually he's not. Next season will be his fourth as an NHL head coach. I feel he's not a great coach (yet at least) but not terrible. He deserves another year for sure but I would hope that he changes the way he does some things for next season.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:17 PM   #46
TheAlpineOracle
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If Treliving is back as GM absolutely as he did take the team to the playoffs. If for some unforeseen reason (nothing really surprises me with Flames ownership/upper management) Treliving isn't retained then I would prefer the new GM bring in his own head coach.
I actually think Treliving getting fired and new GM bringing in a new coach is a lot more probable than we think.
TheAlpineOracle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TheAlpineOracle For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:21 PM   #47
bigrangy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Long term, I don't see GG as a coach that can take the Flames to a cup. He's average at best, and average does not cut it in this league.

Despite the massive improvement over 2015-16, this team is still much better than it showed this season.

I'm more than willing to give him next season though.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:23 PM   #48
madmike
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
I actually think Treliving getting fired and new GM bringing in a new coach is a lot more probable than we think.
That would be such an utter waste of a season. And if the Flames were to let Treliving go, what GM would want the job? High GM turnover is typically an indication of ownership meddling, which means the good GM candidates will stay away.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:28 PM   #49
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

What makes me mad is that he doesn't even talk to the team after the game or in-between periods... This is a young team that needs some more of a hands-on effort, they aren't a bunch of vets. GG seems fine with losing and that's not what I want a team to see. Not to mention he doesn't seem like the type that commands respect. Refs won't give him the time of day, players won't either... His "systems" are the only thing that he's got going for him... even though it's boring hockey, it can, and does win games when done right. (Torts and GG do seem like a good combo on paper) I feel GG is like "the substitute teacher" of coaches...
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:38 PM   #50
Flames.Central
Draft Pick

Some of these threads make my head spin. He didn't have no crystal ball to know what he was getting with Elliott in playoffs after he posted a record winning streak not too long ago to secure the flames their second playoff berth in 3 years.

CJ was not spectular to finish off the season. Nevermind that he was not even 100% with the injury he sustained late in the season. I have noticed a pattern in your recent posts and I am not sure if you really are a fan or just a troll.

Try to look for positives in stuff you spend time watching and you may enjoy it more. Sure getting swept 4-0 wasn't the result we hoped for but let's face it, our team hung in there with an experienced ducks team that has had our number. Have patience and don't build a reputation for holding the wrong parties accountable.
Flames.Central is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:39 PM   #51
calgaryjohn87
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'd like to see him re signed
calgaryjohn87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:39 PM   #52
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by badradio View Post
What makes me mad is that he doesn't even talk to the team after the game or in-between periods... This is a young team that needs some more of a hands-on effort, they aren't a bunch of vets. GG seems fine with losing and that's not what I want a team to see. Not to mention he doesn't seem like the type that commands respect. Refs won't give him the time of day, players won't either... His "systems" are the only thing that he's got going for him... even though it's boring hockey, it can, and does win games when done right. (Torts and GG do seem like a good combo on paper) I feel GG is like "the substitute teacher" of coaches...
You have no idea what you are talking about unless you are close to the team or have some inside experience with Gulutzan.

The team improved dramatically this year under his watch. Of course he should be retained.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2017, 11:39 PM   #53
bubbsy
Franchise Player

Exp:

D Sutter pls.
bubbsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:40 PM   #54
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryjohn87 View Post
I'd like to see him re signed
I am pretty sure he is still under contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:40 PM   #55
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAlpineOracle View Post
If we go to our 4th GM in 7 years and our 3rd coach in 3 years I'm going to be taking a Flames break for a while.

Especially after a 17 point increase from last year, improvement in special teams, improvement on possession metrics and the fact that this team looked elite when it actually got decent goaltending and finally shored up the top 4 D group.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:41 PM   #56
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

IMO the coach is tied to the GM. If Treliving isn't retained, Gulutzan is gone too.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:44 PM   #57
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backlunds_socks View Post
I hang the series loss on him, he should've known when to change goalies.

Says the guy who wants to go cheer for the oilers? GG is fine we just need a few more key pieces.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:47 PM   #58
DeluxeMoustache

Exp:

GG will grow from this. Sadly (this year), that is what BT signed up for. Potential.
DeluxeMoustache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:55 PM   #59
MarkGio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
You have no idea what you are talking about unless you are close to the team or have some inside experience with Gulutzan.

The team improved dramatically this year under his watch. Of course he should be retained.
That's misleading. You don't think other factors were involved?

2014-15
97 points [best record of the last 3 seasons]
Conference semi-finals [best playoff push in last 3 seasons]
6th in league goals-for [best in last 3 seasons]
14th in league goals-against [tied for best]
Calder candidate, Jack adams winner, lady byng winner

2015-16
77 points
Worst goaltending in the league
10th in league goals-for
30th in league goals-against
** Treleving signs two new goalies

2016-17
94 points
17th in league goals-for
14th in league goals-against
Doesn't win a playoff game

Significant improvement, sure, but this roster has demonstrated in the past that it can do better with the right roster changes (ie, decent goaltending)

Last edited by MarkGio; 04-19-2017 at 11:57 PM.
MarkGio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 11:58 PM   #60
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

You can't fire Gulutzan at this point, and he doesn't deserve to get fired.

He isn't going to make in-game adjustments in the playoffs as well as a guy like Carlyle - Gulutzan is a rookie playoff coach / less tenured and experienced coach overall, and just like players, they get better with experience.

I was all for firing Gulutzan a few times throughout this season, and yes, I disagree with how he managed the goalies as well as a few other things, but he is a rookie playoff coach. Most of these coaches have a learning curve just like players do.

I would see what happens next year. I don't even think he is on a short leash - you give him the entire season unless they season really comes off the rails through the 3/4 mark. Judge him again at the end of next season, and see where he is.

I felt it was wrong to fire Hartley, and I feel it is wrong for the same reason to fire Gulutzan now. CONSISTENCY! Does anybody else want a potentially miserable start to the season, and having a coach figure out his Chiasson's from his Ferlands? Gulutzan has his warts and his questionable decisions, but he in no way deserves to get fired. He just needs more seasoning, and I am going out on a limb and assuming he will improve.

However, the tough question is: "Do you upgrade if there is a clear upgrade?" (like Sutter). That one is a bit harder. I still say no, but it isn't such a definite no either. On any random day, I might just say yes.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post: