Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-01-2016, 04:32 PM   #501
Nancy
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

This summer, our daughter had her eyes tested at 2 different optometrists over the course of less than a month, the prescription went from -2.0 to -3.0 (last year it was -1.75). I imagine that's not actually possible in just 3 weeks? Should we get a third exam?
Nancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 05:08 PM   #502
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy View Post
This summer, our daughter had her eyes tested at 2 different optometrists over the course of less than a month, the prescription went from -2.0 to -3.0 (last year it was -1.75). I imagine that's not actually possible in just 3 weeks? Should we get a third exam?
A Pretty drastic change yes. I would suggest you get a Cycloplegic (pupils dilated) eye examination at either office. The vision changing that much could be a sign of a focus issue that throws off the accuracy of an exam.
Knut is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #503
FlameOhutman
Draft Pick

Hiya, ive had glasses my whole life and i am looking for a discount/deal.

its so high that i cannot use the deal for china to order glasses
im approx -9 -12 per eye, as well as -5 and -3.5 for astigmatism.

what i would like to know is...where can i get a deal on lenses.

glasses on avg cost me $1000 (w/ lenses) and i only get 10 % selection on any typical store.

I paid recently $500 for lenses in my current frams (which i love delim.fr)
cuz yah..high prescription.

worst part is that even @ $550 for lenses, they do this thing where they make my eyes look small n squinty. anything i can do to increase my eyes to normal size?
FlameOhutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 04:36 PM   #504
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hey Hes thanks for the thread

I find that when I drive now, my eyes get sore and I get strain/fatigue if I drive no the highway for too long. Is this something I can fix with an eye exam and a pair of driving glasses?

My vision isn't good, but not bad enough to justify glasses
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:04 PM   #505
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameOhutman View Post
Hiya, ive had glasses my whole life and i am looking for a discount/deal.

its so high that i cannot use the deal for china to order glasses
im approx -9 -12 per eye, as well as -5 and -3.5 for astigmatism.

what i would like to know is...where can i get a deal on lenses.

glasses on avg cost me $1000 (w/ lenses) and i only get 10 % selection on any typical store.

I paid recently $500 for lenses in my current frams (which i love delim.fr)
cuz yah..high prescription.

worst part is that even @ $550 for lenses, they do this thing where they make my eyes look small n squinty. anything i can do to increase my eyes to normal size?
Have you tried Contact lenses? They can cut your costs down by reducing the frequency of having to replace your glasses.

Not sure about Deals on lenses, but with your prescription you are pretty much going to be paying a much higher price. Thinner lenses etc. If you cheap out too much the lenses will be thicker, heavier and likely scratch much easier.

Not much can be done about the magnification effect the glasses have. High + lenses will magnify and high - lenses will minify. Contacts would be the best way to have your eyes look normal sized.

There are now extended range soft contact lenses out that will correct your prescription.

Last edited by Knut; 09-06-2016 at 05:07 PM.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:07 PM   #506
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resurrection View Post
Hey Hes thanks for the thread

I find that when I drive now, my eyes get sore and I get strain/fatigue if I drive no the highway for too long. Is this something I can fix with an eye exam and a pair of driving glasses?

My vision isn't good, but not bad enough to justify glasses
One thing that happens as we age is that our ability to compensate for small prescriptions decreases. Basically, you may only have a small prescription, but it did not really bother you in the past. Prescription sunglasses for day time driving/clear glasses for night driving would likely be a good option. The issue could also be a computer strain problem. If it is only at the end of the day the strain occurs that is the likely reason... at that point you are looking at something for the computer.

Try the 20/20/20 rule for computer use. Basically every 20 minutes take 20 seconds to look 20 feet away. If the strain goes away then you may be able to hold off on glasses for a bit.
Old 09-06-2016, 05:09 PM   #507
White Out 403
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hes View Post
One thing that happens as we age is that our ability to compensate for small prescriptions decreases. Basically, you may only have a small prescription, but it did not really bother you in the past. Prescription sunglasses for day time driving/clear glasses for night driving would likely be a good option. The issue could also be a computer strain problem. If it is only at the end of the day the strain occurs that is the likely reason... at that point you are looking at something for the computer.

Try the 20/20/20 rule for computer use. Basically every 20 minutes take 20 seconds to look 20 feet away. If the strain goes away then you may be able to hold off on glasses for a bit.
I dont really get the strain even after a full day of computer use at work

If I drive to Edmonton, by the time I'm at Red Deer my eyes feel so strained and it feels like I'm physically exhausted, though
White Out 403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 07:44 PM   #508
Knut

Exp:

Yeah. Likely just a minor prescription. Could even be one eye. Exam and glasses your best bet. Probably a part time thing. Or just put up with it. It doesn't wreck your eyes to not have glasses.
Old 10-25-2016, 10:12 AM   #509
BananaPancakes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hey Hes, thanks for the thread!

I've been wearing the same contact lens brand + prescription for about 2 years now and I'm thinking of switching from monthly lenses to daily lenses since I only wear them a 4-5 times a month.

Is this something I should go to the optometrist for? Or can I just order a different brand with the same prescription?
BananaPancakes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 10:39 AM   #510
CroFlames
Franchise Player

Exp:

If I get laser surgery, does it also fix astigmatism? I have astig in one eye.
CroFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2016, 11:15 AM   #511
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BananaPancakes View Post
Hey Hes, thanks for the thread!

I've been wearing the same contact lens brand + prescription for about 2 years now and I'm thinking of switching from monthly lenses to daily lenses since I only wear them a 4-5 times a month.

Is this something I should go to the optometrist for? Or can I just order a different brand with the same prescription?
It is a good idea to get a proper fit done anytime you change lens types/brands. You can usually request a contact lens refit if you don't Want a full eye exam. There are a lot of options out there for dailies and some may work better for you than others.
The Following User Says Thank You to Knut For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2016, 11:17 AM   #512
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CroFlames View Post
If I get laser surgery, does it also fix astigmatism? I have astig in one eye.
Yes. LASIK can typically correct up to 3 diopters of astigmatism.
Old 11-29-2016, 12:47 PM   #513
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Edit: I had my appointment and my questions have been answered.

Some questions about cataract surgery....

1. I understand it improves distance vision, which I didn't know. Does it eliminate the need for glasses for distance? I rarely use glasses now (just for night driving and TV watching, mostly). Will it correct my vision so glasses are not needed?
2. Am I banned for driving for a time after this surgery?
3. Similar to No. 2, do I need someone to drive me home after the surgery?
4. Is there pain during and after the surgery? How long does the surgery take?
5. I have an appointment scheduled in three weeks. I just assumed this would be for the surgery but it occurs to me that it may just be an initial appointment and the surgery would be scheduled for later?????

Thank you.

Last edited by MoneyGuy; 12-28-2016 at 05:58 PM.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 05:50 PM   #514
Calgary14
First Line Centre

Exp:

Where can you donate used glasses/frames in Calgary?
Calgary14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2016, 11:44 PM   #515
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
Edit: I had my appointment and my questions have been answered.

Some questions about cataract surgery....

1. I understand it improves distance vision, which I didn't know. Does it eliminate the need for glasses for distance? I rarely use glasses now (just for night driving and TV watching, mostly). Will it correct my vision so glasses are not needed?
2. Am I banned for driving for a time after this surgery?
3. Similar to No. 2, do I need someone to drive me home after the surgery?
4. Is there pain during and after the surgery? How long does the surgery take?
5. I have an appointment scheduled in three weeks. I just assumed this would be for the surgery but it occurs to me that it may just be an initial appointment and the surgery would be scheduled for later?????

Thank you.
Sorry. I was away when his was posted and meant to answer eh when back. Send me a PM if you have any concerns
Old 12-28-2016, 11:49 PM   #516
Knut

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgary14 View Post
Where can you donate used glasses/frames in Calgary?
Any Optometry office will have a donation box to the Lions club. They repair old glasses and verify their prescription. Usually they end up in S. America, the carribean or Africa donated to someone in need.

http://www.givingsight.org/ is an example of a charity that would make use of them
Old 04-17-2017, 11:55 PM   #517
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is kind of a strange question I would imagine. But four of us drove home from Kelowna a few days ago and all four of us have sore eyes. So eight sore eyeballs. Like it feels like the strings that attach your eyes to your brain have been strained. It hurts to look side to side. Same for all four of us. What gives? Could a change in location cause this?
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:23 AM   #518
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I've got 20/20 vision in one eye, 20/25 in the other, just had an eye appointment a few days ago. He did show me a few options for slightly correcting the 20/25 eye that I did notice a bit of a difference. My plan will cover a pair of glasses so I thought hey maybe I will get some, why not if it is free. I forgot to ask him though, if I was to wear glasses for this would it affect my eyesight? Would they set up the glasses so only the 20/25 eye would use a corrective lens?
Old 04-18-2017, 09:25 AM   #519
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
I've got 20/20 vision in one eye, 20/25 in the other, just had an eye appointment a few days ago. He did show me a few options for slightly correcting the 20/25 eye that I did notice a bit of a difference. My plan will cover a pair of glasses so I thought hey maybe I will get some, why not if it is free. I forgot to ask him though, if I was to wear glasses for this would it affect my eyesight? Would they set up the glasses so only the 20/25 eye would use a corrective lens?
Why wouldn't you go with a monacle?
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calf For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2017, 09:35 AM   #520
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Probably haven't been to an eye doc for a check up in 15 years or so. My eyesight has not changed over that time.

Should I go for a checkup?
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote