Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-12-2017, 08:13 PM   #321
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

No arguement that what Varner did was not cool, but I really hope he is being watched closely because I really think he is devastated after realizing what he did. I believe that he did just get so caught up with trying to save himself and maybe for a brief moment lost sense of what he was doing and the ramifications of making such a poor decision. Thought to myself that maybe, just maybe these reality shows are finally jumping the shark.
Old 04-12-2017, 08:31 PM   #322
bigtmac19
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was awful. I couldn't believe he said that. Very classy response from Zeke.
bigtmac19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 08:32 PM   #323
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rejean31 View Post
No arguement that what Varner did was not cool, but I really hope he is being watched closely because I really think he is devastated after realizing what he did. I believe that he did just get so caught up with trying to save himself and maybe for a brief moment lost sense of what he was doing and the ramifications of making such a poor decision. Thought to myself that maybe, just maybe these reality shows are finally jumping the shark.
Yeah I agree... this was just a terribly catastrophic lack of judgement. I don't support the impending social media witch hunt.
Acey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #324
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

That was ridiculous and way beyond the line.

But I love how Probst is like 'well, guess you just told the whole world'...

It's like well Jeff, you could always edit this crap out just like how you edit a lot of other stuff out?
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 10:05 PM   #325
albertGQ
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

It's like well Jeff, you could always edit this crap out just like how you edit a lot of other stuff out?
I would like to think that Zeke was given the option on whether that portion of TB would be aired or not
albertGQ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to albertGQ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 12:23 AM   #326
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post

So edit it out and then ask everyone including zeke to pretend it never happened?

I just read an interview with Probst. They knew before his first season. Producers agreed to tell the story if he wanted to and when he wanted to. In casting interviews Zeke said he would deal with it if it came up.

Zeke always knew this was a possibility going on the show. It really sucks that it happened this way but I don't be-grudge CBS or producers for airing it. I would be-grudge them if they didn't and then it came out they re shot the entire tribal.
VANFLAMESFAN is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 01:18 AM   #327
AC
Resident Videologist

Exp:

Brutal moment.

Apparently Varner became suicidal afterwards and the show had to get him a therapist. You could tell he was disgusted with himself.
AC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AC For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2017, 07:04 AM   #328
cammy13
Backup Goalie

Exp:

I bawled for a good 10 minutes after that happened, it was so unnecessary to bring that up. I actually really liked Varner, I don't know what he was thinking at that moment.
cammy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 08:36 AM   #329
Rejean31
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC View Post
Brutal moment.

Apparently Varner became suicidal afterwards and the show had to get him a therapist. You could tell he was disgusted with himself.
That is what I was worried about. I was worried that Varner could head that direction.
Old 04-13-2017, 08:51 AM   #330
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I was totally surprised, I had no idea. I had always thought he had a unique voice but that was about it. Good for Zeke for handling it so well, I am sure he is used to dealing with it by now.

I had to laugh at Sara, here is Zeke's big moment in the sun, owning it and giving a message of encouragement to viewers everywhere and she comes trompsing in across the flowers I TINK I ERR DEERR MAY HAVE META--DERRR--MORPSHIZED AS WELL JAFF. She'd make a great cop with her slow thought process and quick temper.

I didn't like when she said Jeff was acting with malicious intent, the intention or desire to do evil, ill will, really? I feel like this word is thrown around a lot by people that don't fully understand it, like irregardless. I understand the point Varner was trying to make he just did a piss poor job of making it and it was completely inappropriate for him to go about it the way he did. It was a horrible judgement call made by a starving man who's been stranded on an island for 18 days and is literally fighting for his existence in the game. It's no excuse, but it is the explanation. The guy himself is gay and is what, twice Zeke's age? He paved the way for guys like Zeke to come after him, he's been through this times ten, the last thing he meant by this was 'ill will'. Zeke gets encouraged for coming out, you think Jeff got that same treatment in his day? I just hope he is able to recover emotionally and mentally from this and that the social media mob hasn't run him to the bell tower yet.

Edit: Although from some of the news in this thread it sounds like they already have, to bad. I HATE BULLIES, SO LETS GANG UP ON THE BULLIES AND.... bully them?

Last edited by GreenLantern; 04-13-2017 at 08:53 AM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:01 AM   #331
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was powerful.

And it's things like that that still make survivor one of the best shows on TV. Hungry, tired people can go to a place they don't want to go and Varner went there to his own obvious disgust. Probst as always handled it well. Zeke handled it tremendously well as did the rest of the cast. Might have been the first time Tai spoke up in tribal with something worthwhile to say in his condemnation of Varner!
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:08 AM   #332
Mr.Coffee
damn onions

Exp:

Probst did handle it very well and in general I find Probst to be a pretty damn good host. You could tell that in that situation he was both clearly concerned with Zeke but also trying to find a balance and manage the situation all while still trying to do his usual tribal interviews. Kinda crazy when you think about it.

Zeke handled that about as good as anyone could ask. Hard not to feel bad for him in that situation, and then in a weird way you knew how bad Jeff felt and hard not to feel bad for him to.
Mr.Coffee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 12:31 AM   #333
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

I finally watched this episode tonight, and it was awkward and awful and Zeke handled it with incredible grace as did the rest of the cast.

You can tell that when the realization of what he did hit Jeff that he was destroyed as a person. Its easy to be angry at someone for this, but it takes a strong person to forgive and try to comfort, Zeke was really a hero here.

The one thing about survivor and Brad talked about it, is its just as much of a social experiment as it is merely a game. You put a bunch of people on an Island with bad weather. Starve them, sleep deprive them, physically challenge them and hang a huge cash price and their normal instincts and decisions aren't going to happen.

I'm sure on a normal day Jeff wouldn't have even thought of doing something like that, it might have crossed his mind but been promptly dismissed.

Go a long time without food or bad food, don't get good REM sleep, be cold wet and dirty and the only light at the end of the tunnel is winning and sometimes your going to do something so far out of character that its almost like being outside of your body and watching yourself do it.

I feel bad for Jeff because it was clear that he was devastated by doing something that's pretty much unforgivable.

My sense is he's going to be excused from the reunion show so it doesn't become about him and his act.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2017, 01:44 AM   #334
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
I finally watched this episode tonight, and it was awkward and awful and Zeke handled it with incredible grace as did the rest of the cast.

You can tell that when the realization of what he did hit Jeff that he was destroyed as a person. Its easy to be angry at someone for this, but it takes a strong person to forgive and try to comfort, Zeke was really a hero here.

The one thing about survivor and Brad talked about it, is its just as much of a social experiment as it is merely a game. You put a bunch of people on an Island with bad weather. Starve them, sleep deprive them, physically challenge them and hang a huge cash price and their normal instincts and decisions aren't going to happen.

I'm sure on a normal day Jeff wouldn't have even thought of doing something like that, it might have crossed his mind but been promptly dismissed.

Go a long time without food or bad food, don't get good REM sleep, be cold wet and dirty and the only light at the end of the tunnel is winning and sometimes your going to do something so far out of character that its almost like being outside of your body and watching yourself do it.

I feel bad for Jeff because it was clear that he was devastated by doing something that's pretty much unforgivable.

My sense is he's going to be excused from the reunion show so it doesn't become about him and his act.
I highly doubt it, that was the longest tribal ever for a reason...they are certainly gonna go over it again

haven't heard this much buzz about survivor in years and its certainly a hot topic in society right now
Old 04-14-2017, 02:10 PM   #335
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not a chance, unless a year after shooting he's still in some highly unstable mental state. This will likely be the most viewed reunion in many many seasons, and people will be looking for some sort of follow up to this. No way this issue is not addressed.
Old 04-14-2017, 05:16 PM   #336
longsuffering
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Go a long time without food or bad food, don't get good REM sleep, be cold wet and dirty and the only light at the end of the tunnel is winning and sometimes your going to do something so far out of character that its almost like being outside of your body and watching yourself do it.]
As someone who has suffered from several extended periods of insomnia - in my case virtually a complete lack of sleep for several days - I think that lack of quality sleep is, by far, the biggest challenge faced by the contestents. Bigger than hunger, bigger than wet or dry, hot or cold.

Lack of sleep will screw with your brain, make you paranoid, make you delusional and, although we haven't seen it on Survivor, can make you hallicuinate.
longsuffering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 05:29 PM   #337
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Varner gets fired from his job over this

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...medium=twitter

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 11:01 PM   #338
Acey
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

That is legitimately awful news.
The Following User Says Thank You to Acey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2017, 11:19 PM   #339
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Brutal...losing your job over an edited reality show setup to make you do something stupid/controversial

they even edited it to make it look worse (not saying it wasn't incredibly stupid)

Sleep deprived, malnourished, playing a game for 1M where you are encouraged to lie and cheat for ratings sake...pretty harsh, this isn't a normal life situation.

Last edited by dino7c; 04-14-2017 at 11:23 PM.
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dino7c For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2017, 02:22 AM   #340
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Finally was able to watch the episode. That was quite the tribal, to be sure.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote