Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment

View Poll Results: Who do you think gets to meet Lucile first?
Glenn 66 47.14%
Rosita 0 0%
Daryl 10 7.14%
Michonne 2 1.43%
Abe 31 22.14%
Maggie 4 2.86%
Rick 2 1.43%
Sasha 2 1.43%
Aaron 7 5.00%
Carl 1 0.71%
Eugene 14 10.00%
Somebody else 1 0.71%
Voters: 140. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-20-2017, 05:49 PM   #1241
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood Jack View Post
is Eugene intentionally trying to waste Savior time and resources on the most useless defense perimeter ever? the only thing less dangerous than a slow moving, shambling zombie is an immobile zombie covered in metal that couldn't even turn its head to bite you if it wanted.
Was kind of thinking this same thing. Plus wouldn't pouring molten metal on a chain link fence actually denature the fence?
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:14 PM   #1242
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
Was kind of thinking this same thing. Plus wouldn't pouring molten metal on a chain link fence actually denature the fence?
Or boil their brains which would kill them when pouring molten steel on their heads? I really don't understand what they're going for there.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:21 PM   #1243
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
Or boil their brains which would kill them when pouring molten steel on their heads? I really don't understand what they're going for there.
Fair point. Anytime the tip of a knife touches their brains, it destroys them. You'd think some of that metal would not only boil their brains but pass through their mushy skulls.
blankall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 06:42 PM   #1244
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Wasnt there a walker in the foundry when Abraham and Eugene went there for the first time, the head had been covered in metal, and Eugene couldnt kill it? The knife hit the metal and not the brayns. Probably where he came up with it.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 07:18 PM   #1245
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Negan talked about it when Eugene came up with the idea. They use those walkers around the perimeter as a deterrent for trespassers, but they were rotting and falling apart. Negan asked for a solution and that's what Eugene came up with IIRC.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #1246
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Truth. The precedent in the fantasy world has been set.

Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 11:01 PM   #1247
djsFlames
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Not sure if pointed out yet but I wonder how Sasha and Rosita were looking at the Saviours below with the lens cap still on the scope?
djsFlames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:40 AM   #1248
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

If it's a lens cap, it's one meant to be used like that since it's transparent. Maybe use it on to look through, then take it off for better clarity when taking the shot?

Old 03-21-2017, 10:37 AM   #1249
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneyGuy View Post
I liked the episode, too. I think some of you are spoiled by all the slayings and need high levels of violence in order to be satisfied. It's like a drug; you're in withdrawal and you need new doses to satisfy the addiction.
Please don't take this as confrontational or an attack or anything, but this argument really bugs me.

It is possible to appreciate all aspects of a show, including action, drama, dialogue, and development while still deriding it for its shortcomings.

There were some subtle and not-so-subtle moments to appreciate in that episode, all of which could actually have been appreciated in the Daryl/Maggie scenes. Daryl's complexity, awkwardness, guilt, and overprotectedness and Maggie's forgiveness. It's these kinds of moments, along with great characterization and exchanges (Simon and Gregory), that make TWD so much more than a zombie show based on graphic novels.

The pacing of Sunday's episode was borderline criminal. The Rosita/Sasha stuff, while meaningful to the writers in the world they are creating, mean nothing to the audience because people don't care (or have stopped caring) about these characters. Drawing out their conversation at the warehouse didn't tell me anything I didn't already know about them.

I know why Daryl is upset and acting the way he is, but when they flat out say it, it means something because the character means something. They spent way too much time making characters like Rosita/Sasha one dimensional and rushed into this complexity. I just don't care...and in fact the characters annoy me.

The episode was boring filler, and it had very little to do with the fact that shots weren't fired or bombs were blowing up. It was a bad episode on many merits.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 02:22 PM   #1250
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roof-Daddy View Post
Negan talked about it when Eugene came up with the idea. They use those walkers around the perimeter as a deterrent for trespassers, but they were rotting and falling apart. Negan asked for a solution and that's what Eugene came up with IIRC.
Ya I'm going to have to re-watch that episode. I recall the issue was them falling apart when wired to the fence but the ones they showed last episode had a ton on their heads and barely any running down their bodies. Didn't strike me as anywhere enough to keep them together. I get the added benefit of metal on their heads protecting them from "hostiles and calamities"
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 02:32 PM   #1251
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Ya I'm going to have to re-watch that episode. I recall the issue was them falling apart when wired to the fence but the ones they showed last episode had a ton on their heads and barely any running down their bodies. Didn't strike me as anywhere enough to keep them together. I get the added benefit of metal on their heads protecting them from "hostiles and calamities"
They attached them to the fence but they'd fall off because they were heavy and rotting. Now they are essentially "welded" to the fence and won't fall off, plus as you said the added bonus of their heads being partially protected.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:44 AM   #1252
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffnstuff View Post
It always annoys me when they show people 'hotwiring' a car. That is not how you start a car without the key.
That scene bothered me more than anything else in the episode because it was impossible and totally unrealistic. It's not only that you can't simply join two wires together in any model of car made in the last 25 years or longer, it's how easy they make it look like you can get to the wires in the column and identify them. I mean they basically got into the car and had the ignition wires in their hand in less than 15 seconds. Never mind that many cars would have the steering wheel locked rendering them impossible to drive in anything other than a straight line. It would be nice for movies and shows could move to some realism but I feel in 20 years we could have electric hovercrafts and shows would still have people breaking into them and joining two wired under the dash to steal them.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 07:54 AM   #1253
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Would have made more sense to find keys on the body of a zombie nearby or in a purse, hit the unlock button, and find the car they go to.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 01:04 PM   #1254
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Would have made more sense to find keys on the body of a zombie nearby or in a purse, hit the unlock button, and find the car they go to.
Really the way cars start now with the proximity fobs (key is usually integrated into it) the only vehicles driven around post zombie apocalypse would be the ones where you could find the key fob.
Old 03-22-2017, 03:26 PM   #1255
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Well for starters the show began in 2010. So 7 years ago a lot fewer cars had push button ignition then. Then we see that most of the cars they use are older vehicles, which helps in the argument that older vehicles were easier to hotwire. Add to that- I don't want to watch a show where they spend 5 minutes showing how to hotwire a newer car. And I'm sure nobody wants that info out into the public domain.

And last but not least, it's a show about zombies- so they are asking us to suspend belief on a few things here and there.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ken0042 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2017, 05:11 PM   #1256
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
Well for starters the show began in 2010. So 7 years ago a lot fewer cars had push button ignition then. Then we see that most of the cars they use are older vehicles, which helps in the argument that older vehicles were easier to hotwire. Add to that- I don't want to watch a show where they spend 5 minutes showing how to hotwire a newer car. And I'm sure nobody wants that info out into the public domain.

And last but not least, it's a show about zombies- so they are asking us to suspend belief on a few things here and there.
Yeah but you haven't been able to hot-wire cars for 25 years so there's really no argument. You can overlook how everyday people can become deadly snipers because killing zombies is why we watch the show but it's kind of silly they way they make it look so easy to get in any abandoned car and drive away. Some of the cars they were trying to hot wire also had flat tires to boot. Look I didn't bring up the hot wiring topic someone else did so obviously I'm not on an island here. I didn't say it was a terrible episode (any episode without Carl is good on that basis alone) like some did, just that it bothered me. We are allowed to discuss this suff are we not?

Last edited by Erick Estrada; 03-22-2017 at 05:20 PM.
Old 03-22-2017, 05:27 PM   #1257
Cali Panthers Fan
Franchise Player

Exp:

EE, I'm not trying to bag on you, but you post a lot in this thread about how things are unrealistic. It's just a little unnecessary and it distracts from the discussion about the story or characters. I know someone else brought it up, but maybe you can just not bother posting this stuff.

This is a show that requires a high level of willing suspension of disbelief. If don't think it's productive to focus on the banal minutiae.
Cali Panthers Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cali Panthers Fan For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 12:34 AM   #1258
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
If it's a lens cap, it's one meant to be used like that since it's transparent. Maybe use it on to look through, then take it off for better clarity when taking the shot?

aren't there supposed to be anti-reflective covers for scopes? so light reflecting off the lens doesn't give away your position
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to sureLoss For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2017, 07:11 AM   #1259
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Panthers Fan View Post
EE, I'm not trying to bag on you, but you post a lot in this thread about how things are unrealistic. It's just a little unnecessary and it distracts from the discussion about the story or characters. I know someone else brought it up, but maybe you can just not bother posting this stuff.

This is a show that requires a high level of willing suspension of disbelief. If don't think it's productive to focus on the banal minutiae.
I think this is why the show is so love/hate for fans. It's one of the more polarizing shows in recent memory as it's the most popular show on TV yet is also considered by many as the worst show on TV. Most adults simply can't turn off their brains when they watch but we also can't close our eyes to it. If you go to any other forum discussion on TWD it mirrors this one. I'm also not the only person discussion how unrealistic things are so while you may have a point it's not just me that brings this stuff up. I wouldn't have even brought up the hot wire thing if someone else didn't. I think it's obvious that I don't love the show to the same degree as some others here but at the same time I still watch every episode so I believe I have just as much right to post as anyone else. Also to be fair I typically don't resort to calling episodes terrible like some do and I focus on the stuff that keeps the show from being great rather than condemn it for being bad.
Old 03-23-2017, 09:29 AM   #1260
undercoverbrother
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
aren't there supposed to be anti-reflective covers for scopes? so light reflecting off the lens doesn't give away your position
You also aren't supposed to be hang out the window when you are trying to be clandestine.

Corporal Jean-Marc H. BECHARD, 6 Aug 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sliver View Post
Just ignore me...I'm in a mood today.
undercoverbrother is offline   Reply With Quote