Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-17-2017, 11:34 AM   #381
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Or we could do the Robot Chicken ending.

WE could have Maul and Kenobi watching Luke and his uncle talking

Uncle - "Now Luke you have a lot of work to do today and they'll be hell to pay if it isn't finished"

Luke - "But Uncle Owen I was going to Toche Station to get some power converters"

Uncle - "Look Potato head I know that Toche Station is a strip club and you ain't going. You sure didn't inherit your fathers drive and work ethic . . . "

Luke - "What's that now?"

Uncle - "Nothing shut your mouth and get to work you"

Luke strides up a dune to watch the twin suns set while kicking sand like a petulant 8 year old

Maul - "So he's the new hope, the guy that's going to defeat the Sith and defeat the Empire"

Kenobi - "Yup"

Maul - "I'm out"

Maul walks away and tosses his lightsabre at a Jawa.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 03-17-2017 at 12:05 PM.
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 11:50 AM   #382
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Old 03-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #383
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Good episode, but quite the anti-climatic duel.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 09:57 PM   #384
Bane
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

What a fataing disappointment.
Bane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 10:26 PM   #385
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Ok, I just finished watching the episode thoughts in spoilers

Spoiler!

Old 03-18-2017, 10:50 PM   #386
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Yeah I think that's the way the final battle between Maul and Obi-Wan should have been, that part I liked. I liked how Maul's arc ended.

Don't really like how the buildup impacted the rest of the series though, the holocrons seemed like such key things, the visions seemed important, and the end results don't match the setup.

I wonder if they had bigger plans but then when they found out they had another season they pushed things out.
Old 03-18-2017, 11:04 PM   #387
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Honestly I think that they are going to stretch things out, though I wonder how much of a cliff hanger next weeks season finale will have.

I tend to think that they've been building things up to a completely massive and demoralizing loss next week to Thrawn. He's due a big win, Also Tarkin is in next weeks episode as well as rumors of Bo-Katan which means that Sabine might be in the mix.

I still think that Ezra's fall isn't going to be a long drawn out thing like Anakin's was. Its going to be sudden and brutal, because frankly this weeks episode showed that while Ezra is pretty powerful in terms of the Force, he's was too impulsive and emotional and is always rushing off to save his friends. In other words he has a real heightened sense of attachment which will lead to his downfall if it happens.

I think the holocron's are still going to be very key. The biggest thing I've noticed is that Kanan hasn't been all that present in the series and its like he's not involved in training Ezra right now, it feels like Ezra is training himself and maybe not doing a great job of it.

When you look at things it was clear that Maul had no further to go, you almost felt sympathy for him, he was a man who thought he had a destiny, to be a power in Palpatine's new galactic order. But in the end he was small and fairly insignificant and he was lost.

When I look at other characters. I don't know how much further they can go with Sabine, but she might get the heroic return next week and then that might be it.

Zeb really hasn't had any development since the story where he was stranded with Kallus and they bought some real closure with him. How much further can we go with her.

Kanan still has a story to tell, we've learned about the end of his time as a Jedi, but he's never gotten closure to his guilt. And Hera is still a bit of a mystery as well. We've met her father, but we really haven't seen what lead her to where she is today.

Chop originally started as mere comic relief and as the jerk that every crew needs. But he's become a fairly complex and loyal character, and all we know about him was that he was abandoned at the end of the Clone Wars until he was found by Hera.

Ezra is still too impulsive and he seems to be willing to use whatever power no matter what the cost to protect his friends. He's always had this desire to be strong enough to protect his friends and Obi-Wan basically hammered him on that tonight. But that is very much the same story as the fall of Anakin Skywalker who fell out of love and the desire to protect those closest to him. I still believe that he didn't want to initially kill Obi-Wan when he fell, but was trapped by the fall.

Next week should be interesting.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:59 AM   #388
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

As a cool add on and I should have realized it. At the start of the fight, Obi-Wan took up the stance that he used against Anakin, then he switched to the stance that Qui-gon used against Maul and then quickly ended the fight.

Obi-Wan had evolved and become a true master, he knew what was coming from Maul who never evolved and couldn't.

It was a cool catch on an other board.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:44 PM   #389
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

I thought that was one of the best episodes, if not the best episode, of Rebels we've had. I loved how fast it was over, that's how it should have been, this Maul was ragged and twisted, it wasn't the strong version we knew years ago in TCW, time, jealousy, envy, revenge had all taken an ugly toll on Maul while it has had the opposite affect on Obi-Wan. While Maul was frothing at the mouth lashing out, seeming to be a rabid dog chasing a car, not even sure what to do with it when he caught it, Obi-Wan was training in peace and with purpose, the most important job in the galaxy, defending Luke.

I loved how Obi-Wan's temperament changed when Maul caught on to why he was there, it went from I pity you to I must defeat you, then pity again after. It also speaks to Obi-Wan's Jedi mastery that he was not petty at all for the murder of his former friend/lover/whatever she was, the Mandalorean, he simply just had pity in his eyes and perhaps a little compassion for what Maul had gone through internally all this years. It's like talking to a dude at your 10 year high school reunion who admits all this time he was pissed off about some burn you said to him at a party.. how can you not let things go?

I admit that some of the build up seems like it could have been shorter for this, all the twisting and turning to get here. But it is a tv show and they are known for that.. all and all I was very happy with the episode. Especially the ending, with the subtle theme music playing at the end and Luke bounding across the desert, pretty cool way to cap it off.

I'm glad we can get closure on Maul and Obi-Wan's feud and that we were able to see just how close it all came to Luke, and that it wasn't all just sitting around and waiting. Ready for them to get back to the Lothal stuff now though and hopefully focus more on Ezra's darkside battle and building the Rebellion next season.

I think this article with Dave Filoni, the Executive Producer of Rebels, will help shed some light on why things went down the way they did:

Quote:
“I felt strongly Obi-Wan, if he could help it, would really rather not kill Darth Maul. Obi-Wan is at a point, in my mind, where he’s become rather enlightened. He’s been in the desert discovering who he is, really evolving as a character. He’s not that young brash kid that went into a fight with Maul out of anger for the fact his master was killed. It can’t be that same situation this is so many years later. Maul, for his part, is pretty much hung up on that exact moment. That’s where his life went wrong. He can’t let it go.”
http://io9.gizmodo.com/the-producer-...ium=socialflow

Last edited by GreenLantern; 03-19-2017 at 03:13 PM.
GreenLantern is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GreenLantern For This Useful Post:
Old 03-19-2017, 07:13 PM   #390
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

That was a perfect fight for Maul and Kenobi. I felt before even seeing how it would go down that Kenobi was going to make short work of h8m. All he's ever done since exile is likely sit there watching Luke and honing His Jedi mastery to a razor edge. Meanwhile mauls been wasting time gallivanting around the Galaxy and taking down lesser foes. That site temple thing was pretty evident where he stood in the duelling pecking order of the remaining force users. Above Kazan and the Inquisitors, but we'll below Ahsoka and Vader.

Nice end to Maul.
dammage79 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 08:24 AM   #391
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

One thing I was wondering about is Obi-Wan's age.. google tells me he was between 57-59 when he dies, so that is what.. 4 years after this episode? So he should be around 53 in Rebels? He definitely looks in his mid to late 60's at best. Not that I really care that much since they are just trying to match it up to A New Hope Obi-Wan, but I've seen this pop up across the internet since the episode aired.

How old was he in Revenge of the Sith? And how many years later is this? Seems like he has aged terribly in that time span?
Old 03-20-2017, 08:36 AM   #392
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
One thing I was wondering about is Obi-Wan's age.. google tells me he was between 57-59 when he dies, so that is what.. 4 years after this episode? So he should be around 53 in Rebels? He definitely looks in his mid to late 60's at best. Not that I really care that much since they are just trying to match it up to A New Hope Obi-Wan, but I've seen this pop up across the internet since the episode aired.

How old was he in Revenge of the Sith? And how many years later is this? Seems like he has aged terribly in that time span?
I always thought that he was about 35 in ROTS and ANH took place 19 years after that so he'd be 54.

I've always thought he looked older because he lived nearly 20 years on a planet that's all desert with twin suns, and probably a lot of stress.

I mean you look at how much Aunt Beru aged from revenge of the Sith to a new hope

Old 03-20-2017, 08:38 AM   #393
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

That desert just takes the live out of you

Last edited by CaptainCrunch; 03-20-2017 at 08:40 AM.
Old 03-20-2017, 08:39 AM   #394
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Old 03-20-2017, 09:26 AM   #395
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Ya that is kind of what I figured as well, I also think that Lucas had a chance to land a great actor for the spot so he just cast it, regardless of age. Or would he be considering age back then without the prequels?
Old 03-20-2017, 10:22 AM   #396
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern View Post
Ya that is kind of what I figured as well, I also think that Lucas had a chance to land a great actor for the spot so he just cast it, regardless of age. Or would he be considering age back then without the prequels?
IIRC when he first made ANH the idea of 9 movies was a lot different, and even 1-3 hadn't been fleshed out yet beyond there was a1-3.

For all Lucas knows Beru and Owen were just random people, and episode 1-3 wasn't on some set timeline.

Old 03-21-2017, 09:21 AM   #397
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Some details about the finale so don't watch if you want to go in blind. The actual trailer doesn't work from Canada, this has some guy talking at the end.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 10:16 AM   #398
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

That guy talking is actually photon, he's just trying to gauge our interest in his new Star Wars kids show podcast. Well it sucks photon, it sucks.

I loved watching the Y-Wings on their bombing runs, maybe this will be the part where we finally see some X-Wings come in!
Old 03-21-2017, 10:51 AM   #399
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Just looking at the man power.

5 Imperial Star Destroyers. So that would be about 350 fighters and Bombers. about 50,000 Stormtroopers, probably another 25,000 of their Imperial Army troops, 100 ATAT's, 40 heavy duel mounted turbo laser canons.

Versus a old Imperial carrier with probably 25 front line fighters (X and Y Wings). What looks like a couple of squadrons on the panet, plus the ghost. a couple of obsolete hammer heads.

This should be a major defeat.

Old 03-21-2017, 11:16 AM   #400
GreenLantern
One of the Nine

Exp:

Wait, are those Death Troopers coming out of that Lambda Shuttle with him? The armor looks Storm Trooperish but even the one in the very back who is still in the light looks dark. And the very first second they move out it does look like that armor.. and compare the darkness of his white clothes with the darkness of their armor, if they were Stormies wouldn't it be a similar color?