Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-12-2017, 03:14 PM   #321
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I'd argue that Tkachuk belongs in the same conversation right now as Matthews, Laine and Marner. His point totals aren't quite where the others are at, but if you look at the amount of minutes played. Tkachuk plays far less then the other guys. If you were to extrapolate his point totals with the same number of minutes they played, then suddenly his point totals are pretty comparable. It's not a perfect science, but let's face it, if Tkachuk played more, he'd produce more. That's a fact.

Can't wait till Tkachuk fiils out and improves his foot speed. He's gonna be one of the toughest players to handle in front of the net and a beast down low. Might become one of the best power forwards of his generation.
Since December 19th he's got 32 pts in 38 games. That's really when he started feeling really comfortable imo, or his 3 Pt game vs the Jets 3 games prior. He also never plays 3 on 3 and gets hemmed in with defensive zone starts while playing only 14 minutes a night. He's amazing and I don't really care if the eastern media doesn't put his name with the other guys. He is very special and we are lucky to have him!
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:13 PM   #322
Beninho
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=2204947

The amount of hate he already has gives me a good laugh. Some good stuff in here, too much to choose from haha.
Beninho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 11:34 PM   #323
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Is this how Canucks fans felt with some of their rats? Because although it was a dirty hit I can't get this huge smile off my face reading that thread.

Feels good having a hated player on this team.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2017, 12:26 AM   #324
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 03-20-2017, 01:45 AM   #325
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Is this how Canucks fans felt with some of their rats? Because although it was a dirty hit I can't get this huge smile off my face reading that thread.

Feels good having a hated player on this team.
No. This is not how their rats behaved. The literally bite, pulled hair and gouged eyes.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 01:48 AM   #326
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Teams passing on Him in the draft., especially Vancouver.

combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:03 AM   #327
Bingo
Owner

Exp:

interesting chart showing impact off all of the 3M members

kid holding his own, isn't taking a ride

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/d...t-strong-play/
Bingo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bingo For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 10:24 AM   #328
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I think Tkachuk will pass Gaudreau as our best player next season unless Gaudreau can go back to being the PPG Johnny of last year.

Tkachuk just brings so much more to the table then points and he's got 4 years to figure out how to make up the points difference on Gaudreau.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #329
bax
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Matthew Frickin' Tkachuk!

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
I think Tkachuk will pass Gaudreau as our best player next season unless Gaudreau can go back to being the PPG Johnny of last year.

Tkachuk just brings so much more to the table then points and he's got 4 years to figure out how to make up the points difference on Gaudreau.

This is a really shortsighted view. I love Tkachuk, he has probably been my favorite player this year, but he doesn't have the skill set that Johnny has.

Also Johnny has been PPG for what the last 30 or so? He had a slow start and had trouble adjusting just like the rest of the team, but since then he's been great.

Regardless I'm so happy we have both players
bax is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bax For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 10:33 AM   #330
dash_pinched
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

I like Tkachuk and all, but well, I'll let Gary finish...

dash_pinched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:40 AM   #331
Phaneufenstein
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Same, love Tkachuk, but while he's having a killer rookie season, it doesn't mean his progression will be linear.
Let's see what happens when he's having a sophomore or third year slump and we will definitely have posters suggesting to trade him.
Phaneufenstein is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Phaneufenstein For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 10:45 AM   #332
Kipper_3434
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

While Johnny may always score more points. What I would really like to know is what kind of contract Chucky gets? He's the more complete player, no size issues. I think if he pushes 70 points in his contract year he'll get at least Johnny money, maybe more on a long term contract.
Kipper_3434 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 10:54 AM   #333
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bax View Post
This is a really shortsighted view. I love Tkachuk, he has probably been my favorite player this year, but he doesn't have the skill set that Johnny has.

Also Johnny has been PPG for what the last 30 or so? He had a slow start and had trouble adjusting just like the rest of the team, but since then he's been great.

Regardless I'm so happy we have both players
I'd say Tkachuk has more tools than Johnny.

Johnny brings very little to the table when he's not on. He's a liability in his own zone and is a turnover machine (9th worst in the league and -44 GA/TA differential).

Tkachuk mean while has been a possession monster, brings physicality and has a mean streak so even if he's not scoring, he's contributing.

Sure, he could very well fall off the map further down the line but Gaudreau could have peaked last year and be a 60 point player from here on in. Can't account for what might happen. All I'm saying is that I think Tkachuk has a good shot of dethroning Gaudreau as the top forward on this team.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:01 AM   #334
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love Tkachuk and what he brings, going to be a great player (already is). I think his speed is going to prevent him from ever being our "best" player, but he really has figured out how to overcome that glaring deficiency in his game and still be elite.

It's amazing though through his hockey IQ and everything else he brings how he actually makes you not realize how slow he is (which means he's made his lack of speed a non issue). The only time you see it is on the rare occasion when he ends up in a foot race down the ice trying to get to a free puck that's squeaked past a defender. He could literally get a moving head start at the Red line and 95% of the D men in the league starting from a stop on our blue line would have passed him by the time he's taken one step over the oppositions blue line.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:09 AM   #335
sketchyt
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:

I don't think this will happen, but I also think it's not as far-fetched as it sounds.
sketchyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 11:28 AM   #336
Textcritic
Acerbic Cyberbully

Exp:

Quote:
I think Tkachuk will pass Gaudreau as our best player next season unless Gaudreau can go back to being the PPG Johnny of last year...

Since Gaudreau is already back to playing at a point/game pace, then I don't really see that this will happen.

Regardless, the Flames are a better team with Gaudreau and Tkachuk than they would be with two of one or the other. Teams need to be dynamic to be successful, and this valuable combination makes the Flames very dynamic.

I don't care who ends up being the better player because both Tkachuk and Gaudreau are fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woob
"...harem warfare? like all your wives dressup and go paintballing?"
"The Lying Pen of Scribes" Ancient Manuscript Forgeries Project
Textcritic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Textcritic For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 12:01 PM   #337
Geeoff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Who's the best player on the Blackhawks? Kane? Toews? Keith? Great teams have multiple players in the conversation.
Geeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Geeoff For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 12:15 PM   #338
Rick M.
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleveland Steam Whistle View Post
I love Tkachuk and what he brings, going to be a great player (already is). I think his speed is going to prevent him from ever being our "best" player, but he really has figured out how to overcome that glaring deficiency in his game and still be elite.

It's amazing though through his hockey IQ and everything else he brings how he actually makes you not realize how slow he is (which means he's made his lack of speed a non issue). The only time you see it is on the rare occasion when he ends up in a foot race down the ice trying to get to a free puck that's squeaked past a defender. He could literally get a moving head start at the Red line and 95% of the D men in the league starting from a stop on our blue line would have passed him by the time he's taken one step over the oppositions blue line.
I recall reading comments from Tkachuk post-draft. He mentioned his skating speed as a weakness and vowed to improve. Because of how late he played due to the Memorial Cup run and having to recover from the lingering effects of a high ankle sprain, I doubt he was able to do much about his skating over the summer. I expect he will put in the time over this off season, however. You are right: he compensates for lack of speed with excellent passing and knowing where to go on the ice.
Rick M. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 05:24 PM   #339
Calgary4LIfe
Franchise Player

Exp:

I still marvel at how much of a monster he is on the forecheck.

Yeah, his skating isn't great - not as bad as we were warned about prior to the season though, but it isn't a strength.

He does, however, put many other forwards to absolute shame on this team with how good he is on the forecheck and how many puck races he wins. How many times does he routinely beat a defender to the puck, or makes it a 50/50 proposition, or just catches a defender who is first on the puck and then battles him for it? You see this multiple times a game with "slow foot Tkachuk". It is impressive. It is damn impressive!

He simply has the Dennis Rodman factor at play. He just wants the puck more than anyone else on the ice from either team.
Calgary4LIfe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Calgary4LIfe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2017, 05:32 PM   #340
Roof-Daddy
Franchise Player

Exp:

Heard that beat reporter out of St. Louis on the fan today talking about Tkachuk. Strickland IIRC?

Anyways I thought he brought up a good point about the kid. Said he was born into this NHL life and has spent his whole life being around NHLers and an NHL environment and if you are expecting him to be in awe of big "star" NHL players or to be intimidated by them, then you are in for a surprise.

Which sounds like exactly what Doughty was saying after Tkachuk cracked him, that he's surprised that a young rookie would be so bold as Tkachuk is. Kids been there and done that, so don't expect him to tippy toe around out there. Love it. Will hopefully rub off on other young players on the team now and in the future.
Roof-Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Roof-Daddy For This Useful Post: