Old 03-18-2017, 02:01 PM   #1
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:
Default Brouwer discussion

Some quotes from Gaskal/SS:

Quote:
Gaskal:
Brouwer needs to sit a game at some point if his on-ice performance keeps tanking. With Gio performing the way he is lately, along with Backs and 3M, it's not like more leadership in the room is needed right now.

With this crucial stretch of games coming up we can't really afford to play someone and hope they break their funk - maybe a healthy scratch will do him a world of good.

SS:
He's playing well, not sure what your qualm with him is. He's not getting points, but he's making many smart little plays along the boards and in front of the net. He's reliable defensively and the team has been one of the best in the league for almost 3/4 of the season, all with him in the lineup.

I get it, he makes too much money to not be contributing on the scoresheet. Sure he's had a few bad games, but who hasn't? But honestly, if things keep going the way they have, does that really matter? If they keep on winning, he could make 10M a season and score 0 points for all I care. I like what he's brought to this team this season. They've scored a number of goals as a direct result of his willingness to go to the front of the net and cause problems for opposing netminders and seems like a great fit in the locker room, from what I've seen. Guys like that are important, especially at this time of year.
Sorry SS, but I'm not seeing even the smart little plays along the boards and in front of the net. About 10-15 games ago yeah he was doing great with the screens for Monahan scoring and some other intangibles but yikes what a mediocre to poor player he has been now for quite some time.

What I see now is slow hands, second guessing, losing puck battles, losing Corsi battles etc. At least he hits every once in awhile but man he has been a HUGE disappointment so far. I agree, I think a healthy scratch could snap him out of it.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:02 PM   #2
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Who is SS?
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #3
FBI
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Who is SS?
The SS is short form for aSSgrabber
oh and StrykerSteve
Old 03-18-2017, 02:06 PM   #4
Gaudfather
Franchise Player

Exp:

He was brought in, especially given the term he has, to be a difference maker - either on the score sheet or in the physicality/grinder area. Too often he has been invisible in both areas. I keep hearing wait til the playoffs, then you will see the real Brouwer step up, but would prefer to see his game get going now.

He should either be a factor tomorrow night in the LA game, or he should spend a game munching popcorn!
Gaudfather is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gaudfather For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #5
Husky
First Line Centre

Exp:

Flames are winning. Who cares at this point.
Husky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Husky For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 02:07 PM   #6
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

His current production is fine for the $2.5-$3mil range, but he needs to provide more for his contract.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #7
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Yeah Brouwer does contribute but that's because he knows how to screen the goalie. He does little else well and is always defending and chasing the puck because he and his line mates can't keep possession.

He's been a disappointment for sure. He doesn't hurt the team but doesn't add much either. I'd rather see Hathaway in his spot.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:09 PM   #8
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Husky View Post
Flames are winning. Who cares at this point.
What's our goal, though? To win games at a good clip, or to take the next step and hopefully compete for the cup?

As good as we've been you'll fall well short if a $4mil+ player is contributing at a 4th line level.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:10 PM   #9
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

I watched a lot of the Blues last year and was ecstatic when the Flames signed this guy. Bought a Brouwer jersey the day he signed (Canada day sale helped) I want to love this player so badly, but I just... can't. He'll show up for a 5 game stretch, then disappear for 15. And even in the 5 that he shows up for, it's not like he starts racking up points, he just starts forchecking really well and might screen the goalie once or twice.

Watching him closely, which I was doing last night, all I see is the demenour of a guy that doesn't care.

I really hope I'm wrong and that it's just a typical case of a guy underperfoming in the first year of a new contract and he shows up for the playoffs and beyond, but so far? So not impressed

Last edited by btimbit; 03-18-2017 at 02:14 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:14 PM   #10
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hurting his feeling or not, I think the Flames should expose Brouwer and protect Ferland and Lazar instead.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:15 PM   #11
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

I don't think he's hurting the team on the ice, but he's not helping as much as he should. Assuming he's not taken in the expansion draft, I'm a bit worried that he'll hurt the flames just by being over paid and under contributing, preventing us from signing guys up for ufa or filling gaps in our roster.

All that being said, it is year 1. Despite his short term lack of performance, he could still earn the value of his contract over the long term if his play improves in the future.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:16 PM   #12
jg13
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazypucker View Post
Hurting his feeling or not, I think the Flames should expose Brouwer and protect Ferland and Lazar instead.
They would be insane not to.

The Flames should have no hard feelings exposing Brouwer. He hasn't brought what he was supposed too to this team.
jg13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:22 PM   #13
Cantrader
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Maybe he is good at cheerleading
Cantrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:26 PM   #14
FiveSeven
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope he plays better but I don't really care at this point, I'm just hoping we expose him and they claim him.

If his style wasn't previously defined I would struggle to define him and basically label him as generally useless. If he can't figure out a way to be effective this far I have my doubts.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:27 PM   #15
memphusk
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg13 View Post
They would be insane not to.

The Flames should have no hard feelings exposing Brouwer. He hasn't brought what he was supposed too to this team.
And he didn't negotiate a no move. That's business.
Old 03-18-2017, 02:33 PM   #16
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgaryblood View Post
Yeah Brouwer does contribute but that's because he knows how to screen the goalie. He does little else well and is always defending and chasing the puck because he and his line mates can't keep possession.

He's been a disappointment for sure. He doesn't hurt the team but doesn't add much either. I'd rather see Hathaway in his spot.
He certainly does hurt the team in the sense that the puck is far more often in their own zone when he gets in the ice. If he were a super productive screen you'd think the pp would score more often when he's on the ice for the pp but they don't
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 02:38 PM   #17
Backlunds_socks
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Brouwer stinks
Backlunds_socks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #18
cannon7
Needs More Cowbell

Exp:

Frolik had a tough first season in Calgary, too, and many here were on him for not being the 20 goal scorer he was in Winnipeg. But the big difference between him and Brouwer this year is that Frolik still showed up in every other aspect of the game he's good at and is now 1/3rd of one of the best lines in the NHL. I'm not sure why Brouwer is not consistently playing the brand of hockey he's known for, but if it doesn't happen in the next few months I'm sure that Las Vegas would take a chance on him in hopes that he still has something left to give. At the very least he helps them reach the cap floor while still being a warm body on the ice.

I've been stunned like many here by his drop-off. Every time the Flames played him he was a thorn in their side, unfortunately he still is...
cannon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 02:49 PM   #19
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's pointless to make a true analysis of him, when his worth will be discovered in the playoffs. If he can find another gear, then all is good. Money well spent. If he floats along and does nothing, expose him.

The Flames winning does a lot to mask his deficiencies. But I say wait until the playoffs before passing judgement on him. He still has time to prove he's worth the contract.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 02:54 PM   #20
jayswin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
It's pointless to make a true analysis of him, when his worth will be discovered in the playoffs. If he can find another gear, then all is good. Money well spent. If he floats along and does nothing, expose him.

The Flames winning does a lot to mask his deficiencies. But I say wait until the playoffs before passing judgement on him. He still has time to prove he's worth the contract.
What other players out there do you have to wait right through the entire regular season at $4mil a year before you see if they provide worth?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post: