Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-17-2017, 07:35 AM   #1201
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

Alright so help me out here, has Vizio quality improved vastly in the last few years? I feel like last time I was shopping they were pretty low-run sets and topped the "avoid at all cost" list.

But I'm seeing more recommendations for them in 2017.
Regular_John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 10:07 AM   #1202
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
Alright so help me out here, has Vizio quality improved vastly in the last few years? I feel like last time I was shopping they were pretty low-run sets and topped the "avoid at all cost" list.

But I'm seeing more recommendations for them in 2017.
Maybe it's the marketing, or maybe it's the reviews, but I'd rank them in the 90-95% as good as the brand equivalents for about 10-20% less. They're for sure not as bad as they used to be though.

I have the same stigma with Vizio as you do. So because I am deep in the pocket, I decided to pay I think it was about $100 extra to get the Samsung over the comparable Vizio. I do believe Vizio is in the range that most people shouldn't or wouldn't regret their purchase as long as they are reasonable about what they are acquiring, but I preferred the look and reputation of Samsung when I purchased.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 10:24 AM   #1203
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Everything I've been reading about Vizio says to go with the P-series.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2016
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TorqueDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2017, 06:42 PM   #1204
DoubleK
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Everything I've been reading about Vizio says to go with the P-series.

http://ca.rtings.com/tv/reviews/vizio/p-series-2016
Wirecutter agrees.

http://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-tv/
DoubleK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:24 PM   #1205
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
Used my bonus to upgrade into the 4K world.

TV - 65" Panasonic TC-65DX800 http://www.panasonic.com/ca/consumer...c-65dx800.html

Receiver - Onkyo TX-NR656 http://www.onkyo.ca/Products/model.p...class=Receiver

Game console - PS4 Pro https://www.playstation.com/en-ca/explore/ps4-pro/

Added bonus, was now able to move my Panasonic VT-65 and original PS4 into our bedroom.
That looks great Steve-o, sweet man cave you have there my friend. I too actually just upgraded my TV this week to an 65" LG OLED and hands down it has the best picture I've personally ever seen. I already have 7.1 surround sound but will soon upgrade to 7.2 with a 4K receiver and then probably around Christmas will buy a 4K blu-ray player.

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...10425940.aspx?

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-ca/product/...10422589.aspx?

http://www.lg.com/us/home-video/lg-U...lu-ray-players
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Iceman57 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 07:05 AM   #1206
Morning Wood
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Any folks here familiar with Dolby atmos? Trying to decide whether I want to go that route or not. Anybody have experience with the two or four in-ceiling speaker configurations and whether either were worth it? Thanks.

Last edited by Morning Wood; 05-08-2017 at 06:39 AM.
Morning Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 07:56 AM   #1207
red sky
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am updating my basement home theater and was considering moving towards a projector as I have the room for a +100" screen. The issue is that my basement is finished and I have no clue what an electrician would charge to install an electrical outlet to the ceiling and then feeding cables somehow. Has anyone done something like this before?
red sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 08:06 AM   #1208
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did my own, but I had access from the side of the room to the ceiling joist, so I just fed the power in that way. I put the cables in a conduit, for easier management. I did it years ago, back when I needed HDMI, Component, S-video and composite, so i have lots of cables! I'm actually going to run a new HDMI today, which hopefully wont' be to hard with the conduit in place.

It all depends on access for how hard to do and how much it will cost..
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 08:23 AM   #1209
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
Any folks here familiar with Dolby atmos? Trying to decide whether I want to go that route or not. Anybody have experience with the two or four in-ceiling speaker configurations and whether either were worth it? Thanks.
I have done a couple of 7.1.4 setups (3 front, 4 ear level surrounds, 1 sub and 4 ceiling surrounds) as well as 6+ 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 setups. Definitely worth it IMO. Just make sure you follow the guidelines on placement with all your speakers.
cupofjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cupofjoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2017, 08:31 AM   #1210
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by red sky View Post
I am updating my basement home theater and was considering moving towards a projector as I have the room for a +100" screen. The issue is that my basement is finished and I have no clue what an electrician would charge to install an electrical outlet to the ceiling and then feeding cables somehow. Has anyone done something like this before?
What Fuzz said is correct, it is very situational to how difficult it is going to be. What a pro will charge you will depend on your situation, sometimes it is more cost effectively on difficult fishes to cut and patch drywall.
Old 03-18-2017, 09:24 AM   #1211
Morning Wood
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupofjoe View Post
I have done a couple of 7.1.4 setups (3 front, 4 ear level surrounds, 1 sub and 4 ceiling surrounds) as well as 6+ 5.1.2 or 5.1.4 setups. Definitely worth it IMO. Just make sure you follow the guidelines on placement with all your speakers.
Appreciate the info. I will be having the traditional 5.1 configuration and will have to add the in-ceiling speakers to that. Current targeted receiver was the Yamaha 7.2 (which can do 5.2.2), but was wondering if I should spend extra on a 9.2 receiver for 5.2.4 capability. In your experience, does 4 in-ceiling speakers make the experience good enough to pursue this configuration? Going from 7.2 to 9.2 could be ~$1000 jump just for the receiver from what I see in the marketplace. Thanks!

Last edited by Morning Wood; 05-08-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Morning Wood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 12:42 PM   #1212
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morning Wood View Post
Appreciate the info. I will be having the traditional 5.1 configuration and will have to add the in-ceiling speakers to that. Current targeted receiver was the Yamaha RX V781 7.2 (which can do 5.2.2), but was wondering if I should spend extra on a 9.2 receiver for 5.2.4 capability. In your experience, does 4 in-ceiling speakers make the experience good enough to pursue this configuration? Going from 7.2 to 9.2 could be ~$1000 jump just for the receiver from what I see in the marketplace. Thanks!
Is seating off the back wall? You need about a 30 to 55 degree angle from speaker to seating position (45 is ideal), so if you have a 8' ceiling, ear height is typically 42 inches, here is the calculation:

96"-42"= 54" from center of speaker to ceiling location directly above your ear (NOTE - not the angle measurement directly from ear to the speaker at a 45 degree angle)

So you will need a minimum of 54" behind your seating position to place your speaker on the ceiling.

So if your room works for it, I would consider going for it. All the clients I have put in the Atmos system have been blown away by the sound. But as I have said before in other posts value is subjective to the buyer.

Check out dolby site for setup etc here:

https://www.dolby.com/us/en/guide/sp...tup/index.html

I sent you a PM as well.

Here is 5.1.2 setup

Spoiler!

Here is 5.1.4 setup

Spoiler!
Old 03-20-2017, 06:37 PM   #1213
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Alright, here we go... got the new TV downstairs, hooked up, and now need to come up with a sound setup. The soundbar there is obviously not staying.

Seating layout:
Spoiler!

Open to suggestions, but kind of thinking of applying the 80 / 20 rule here: what's the 20% of expense that'll get me 80% of the performance? In other words, let's assume that I don't have a strict dollar limit, but that I am nonetheless trying to get the best possible bang for the buck setup, given the room layout? There will be no speakers in the ceiling, incidentally.

One issue of course is that the TV is sort of on its own little island there in the nook across from the sectional by the stairs, so it'd obviously be not terribly attractive to run wires across the floor, if that's a thing.

Home theatre experts, I throw myself on your mercy.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 03-20-2017 at 06:41 PM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 07:28 PM   #1214
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
...Home theatre experts, I throw myself on your mercy.
Unfortunately, not a very ideal setup for sound.

What do you primarily watch movies, sports? Is music important?

Do you have a particular goal?

Is there a wall to the left of the stairs??

Surround is challenging as the couch is tight to the back wall and there is no real side wall on left (when facing TV)

Initially, I would recommend maybe soundbar / sub combo (a good quality one) or if possible a stereo setup (which will give better soundstage in theory) assuming there is a suitable wall to the left of the stairs.

If the goal is surround, I am not sure based on photos how to you could 'fish' wires to your surrounds maybe 'the long way round' under the stairs might work, not sure. The speakers would probably have to be on stands to the left / right of couch. They would only 'modestly' effective at creating a nice surround field for a movie.

Last edited by cupofjoe; 03-20-2017 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:45 PM   #1215
schooner
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Not sure if this is the place for it, but not going to start a new thread.

I am looking to wall mount a tv when I move in to my new place. It is a townhouse and the only suitable wall is the wall shared with the unit next to mine. From what I understand its a double wall (drywall, framing, drywall, framing, drywall) but beyond that there is no extra sound dampening.

I am not going to be doing any thing crazy with speakers. Just wondering if I will have any issues with sound/vibration traveling to the unit beside me coming directly from the tv. In particular the difference in wall mounting vs using a tv stand.
schooner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 09:00 AM   #1216
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner View Post

I am looking to wall mount a tv when I move in to my new place. It is a townhouse and the only suitable wall is the wall shared with the unit next to mine. From what I understand its a double wall (drywall, framing, drywall, framing, drywall) but beyond that there is no extra sound dampening.

I am not going to be doing any thing crazy with speakers. Just wondering if I will have any issues with sound/vibration traveling to the unit beside me coming directly from the tv. In particular the difference in wall mounting vs using a tv stand.
When the tv is on stand, the sound will be decoupled from the wall which will reduce sound transmission particularly below 200 hz. Having said that, most tvs speakers don't produce much bass so probably some what of a mute point.

My guess is a wall-mount with reasonable volume should be fine, hard to be completely sure though.
Old 03-21-2017, 09:30 AM   #1217
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by schooner View Post

I really don't think you'd have major sound issues unless you can already hear the neighbor through the walls. The best test is really to listen at the wall and see what level of sound you're hearing. If you can't really hear anything other than loud noises from the neighbor, you're probably OK as long as you turn down the volume at night.

It also depends where the sound is originating. If you wall mount a TV and have speakers on the side, I really don't think there's a difference vs putting the TV on a TV stand. If you're seriously concerned about sound, then perhaps consider installing sound dampeners on the walls or buying headphones?

I bought an Astro gaming headset with mixamp for about $100 on an Amazon deal and use it frequently at night when I'm watching movies or playing games and don't want to disturb anyone. It does have "surround sound" which cannot compete with true surround sound speakers, but when I'm using it, the concerns are slightly different than the fact I'm at 90-95% sound quality to my regular set up.

I guess if the situation is serious enough, you could also consider seeing if there's a way to sound proof the wall. If the wall is empty, pump in cellulose or loose fill fibre glass? If it already has insulation and you get sound complaints, then there's still options, but I'd opt for the headsets. You should be able to find them on deals around the $200 range or less.
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DoubleF For This Useful Post:
Old 03-21-2017, 07:06 PM   #1218
StrykerSteve
Ass Handler

Exp:

Quote:
One of my favorite tv's - NICE!!
I've been looking for calibration settings for this TV and haven't had any luck. Any suggestions?

This is the closest thing I've found so far.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.ph...&id=1439471411
StrykerSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 10:29 PM   #1219
cupofjoe
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrykerSteve View Post
I've been looking for calibration settings for this TV and haven't had any luck. Any suggestions?

This is the closest thing I've found so far.

http://www.flatpanelshd.com/focus.ph...&id=1439471411
Sorry, not an easy set to find info about. As you probably already know, AVSforum is a good place to find calibration info, but not much dx800 or 900's info there.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #1220
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Unfortunately, not a very ideal setup for sound.

What do you primarily watch movies, sports? Is music important?
It's not the greatest, but that little nook is exactly, exactly the right size for that TV. I've been watching Iron Fist on it the last 2 nights and it's great. The TV itself actually has six speakers on it and for a TV, it's amazingly good - which is to say, it's still not good at all in the grand scheme of things, but it's certainly usable for the moment.

I primarily watch netflix, movies, and hockey (and the occasional football game), and I've currently got the PS4 hooked up to it so for the moment this is where I'm playing video games. Primarily though, it's for TV and movies. Music isn't at all important. I listen to music through headphones, and if I were playing music for guests (say, if I had people over and we weren't watching TV) it would be upstairs. This setup is in the basement.
Quote:
Do you have a particular goal?
As I said in the earlier post, if I have a goal, it's to get good sound such that if I have people over and we all hang out on the sectional watching a movie or a hockey game, the sound system will be good enough to enjoy the whole experience. It does not need to be a tour de force in sound stage brilliance or knock anyone's socks off. As you say, the room isn't set up for that, and I don't want to break the bank, because I just bought this place and I've just spent a ludicrous amount of money on furniture. Plus, it's always seemed to me that home theatre sound is an area where the returns diminish incredibly quickly - hence my comment about getting 80% of the top-end result for 20% of the price.
Quote:
Is there a wall to the left of the stairs??
There is a wall to the left of the stairs, but I don't think I'd want to try to mount a speaker there. The whole wall behind the TV has the furnace room behind it, so I can easily do literally whatever I want there. Mounting front left and right speakers on the corners next to the TV is do-able. I'm not sure that fishing cable through the ceiling to get the rears to the back of the room is, because all the ducts are there.

I was looking at this package. https://www.cnet.com/products/vizio-sb4551-d5/review/ Yes, it's a soundbar, but my other Vizio soundbar (S5451) is pretty good, and this would prevent me from having to do much work... the soundbar could just sit on the cabinet in front of the TV, the wireless sub under the sectional, and the rear speakers on the walls as they're tiny enough that mounting them on the wall behind the sectional would be easy and involve minimal visible wires (since they connect to the subwoofer).

The only question I have there is, isn't it going to totally muffle the subwoofer having it under the couch? They say that's what it's built for, but do you need a really tall couch to pull this off? Obviously it's downward driving, but the floor is carpet. Is that going to be an issue? I could put it next to the couch under a side table or something, but then all my bass is coming from one side of where I'm sitting.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno

Last edited by CorsiHockeyLeague; 03-22-2017 at 10:26 AM.
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote