Franchise Player

Exp:

No but the food is delicious!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:19 AM   #162
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Staying there for 2 nights. Would love some beta on some nice turns in the area. So far I have a topo and a compass.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 11:26 AM   #163
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Only time I went in there in the winter was before my touring days. We cross country skied in and then did a couple trails around while we were there. Can't recall where we went or anything like that. That being said, it is a great little place to go!
Weitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 07:42 PM   #164
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

The conditions at Big White are so good right now. It was my first time out here and it was so much fun. Too bad the stupid flight home to Calgary is delayed.

Last edited by calgarygeologist; 03-08-2017 at 09:07 PM.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 08:23 PM   #165
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hit up Norquay with my wife today for Twoonie day. It was pretty busy (as expected) but the hills seemed to be in pretty good shape. Had several enjoyable runs before heading off.
WhiteTiger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 09:37 PM   #166
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Always nice to have a reminder why I avoid Sunshine on a weekend.

Snow was epic at the Lake. Couldn't see a lot on Summit, but that kept the hordes away. I was point and praying down the Whitehorn gullies in testicle tickler pow. Not many others were braving it, but it was so worth it.
Shhh don't give away the snow!

Lake louise >>>> sunshine in dozens of ways (except travel time).

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2017, 10:57 PM   #167
TSXCman
First Line Centre

Exp:

Hey guys,

I am looking at buying some new snowboard boots, snow pants, mitts, and my first helmet.

Anyone see any good deals out there? I want quality but trying to avoid full MSRP right now.
TSXCman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:36 AM   #168
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteTiger View Post
I hit up Norquay with my wife today for Twoonie day. It was pretty busy (as expected) but the hills seemed to be in pretty good shape. Had several enjoyable runs before heading off.
We have been out to all the toonie days this year and yesterday was by far the busiest one. The groomers at Norquay are in great shape (a little icy in spots but not terrible) but coverage on the steeper runs is pretty marginal. I went up for a couple laps off the Norquay chair and it was down to the dirt in quite a few places.

It was a great day with the family on the lower mountain though, except for one little incident, which leads me to my next point:

I was waiting for my daughter near the bottom of the Cascade chair when this middle aged woman on a snowboard comes careening down the hill out of control and plows right into me. I was fine, but her board slammed right into the tails of my skis. She didn't even apologize, just looked at me and went "ooops" then got up and went to the lift line. About 10 seconds later my son looks at my skis and goes "holy crap dad, look what it did!" The collision had peeled back the top sheet on one ski in a strip about 1.5" x 2". I was pretty choked so I popped the ski off and went to show it to her, telling her that I wasn't trying to be a jerk but the skis were going to have to be repaired and I didn't think it was unreasonable to ask her to pay for the damage. If it had just been a scratch then whatever...it's a ski hill, these things happen...but the tail was splintered to the point that I thought they were delaminated. Of course, to make matters worse these were brand new skis (my first day on them) so obviously I wasn't very happy. I was trying to be civil about the whole thing even though I was seriously pissed off, but then the woman was a complete bag about it, tells me straight up that she isn't going to pay for anything, refuses to give me her name, then calls me an elitist for having nice gear because "she just went to a second hand store and bought her board for $200." When I kept insisting that she should be responsible for the repair she tells me that I should just claim it on my insurance and leave her alone. She still refused to give me her name or contact info, but she got all flippant and was like "you give me your name and number, and MAYBE I'll call you if I feel like it". By this time it was clear she wasn't going to cooperate so I sent my son to go get the patrol so we could file an incident report. Unfortunately, by the time they got there she had already gotten on the chair and we lost her after that. I waited at the bottom with a couple patrollers but of course she took off somewhere and never came back down to the base.

I guess the question is, am I wrong for expecting her to pay for the damage she caused? If you're driving and you crash into someone else's car, you pay for it. If you're golfing and you damage someone's home, you pay for it. The Alpine Responsibility Code states that you must remain in control and avoid the person below you, which she failed to do. That was what we used to deal with disputes when I was a patroller (years ago), and the guys at the hill yesterday certainly seemed to agree with me, but I guess some people might see it differently? I just found it really frustrating that she was such an ass about the whole thing.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Redliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 09:41 AM   #169
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

No, you're not wrong. If someone damaged my gear and then acted like that I'd have a hard time not beating them to death with my ski pole. Do not #### with other people's equipment. This is a cardinal rule of the slope. There are many places in the backcountry to hide your body where no one will ever find you.

... In seriousness though, of course she should have to pay, and you should have talked to the lifties and had them pull her out of line to resolve the issue. If someone is not only being dangerous to that degree, but also tries to act like they didn't just do something worthy of being apologetic about, the hill probably doesn't really want them there.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CorsiHockeyLeague For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 10:00 AM   #170
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

I did talk to the lifty, and to her credit she tried to delay the woman from getting on the chair but it took a while for the patrollers to get there (which I totally get - those guys have better things to do than sort out lift line disputes) and ultimately I guess she felt like she couldn't hold her there any longer. She (the lifty) did tell me that they had been having trouble with that woman being rude to people all morning, so I guess it was just luck of the draw that I got rammed by the biggest human piece of crap on the hill. The patrollers did their best with the situation - one guy even got on a skidoo and went hunting for the woman (I had a picture of her I took with my cellphone) but the mountain is a big place and they weren't able to find her.
"There will be a short outage tonight sometime between 11:00PM and 1:00AM as network upgrades are performed. Please do not panic and overthrow society. Thank you."
Old 03-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #171
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's not out of place to ask someone who did something like that to pay for it. These things unfortunately happen, and if she was civil about it you guys could have worked something out that worked for both sides. Even a simple ''sorry, are you ok?" goes a long way.

But her being a dick just makes things 10x worse and for someone to not take responsibility about it, is just stupid. Reminds me of when someone hits your car, they have no insurance, and magically they become difficult to deal with, won't give you a name then run away.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Huntingwhale For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 11:25 AM   #172
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

The liftie couldn't hold her there? That's pretty much crazy talk, if the liftie says you don't get on the lift, you don't get on the lift. Managing people getting onto the lift is their whole job.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
CorsiHockeyLeague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2017, 11:51 AM   #173
Redliner
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
The liftie couldn't hold her there? That's pretty much crazy talk, if the liftie says you don't get on the lift, you don't get on the lift. Managing people getting onto the lift is their whole job.
Well, that's kind of what I thought too, but this had been going on for about 15 or 20 minutes and finally the liftie kind of shrugged at me and said "there's a limit to how much we can do here but maybe you'll have better luck getting the patrol involved." At that point neither of us had any idea how long it would be before the patrol got there so she let her go. I made a note of the chair number that she got on and the patrol radioed up to the top when they got there to find out which way she went when she got off, but by then it was too late.

I wasn't thrilled that they let her go back up, but I don't really blame the liftie. It was toonie day and super busy and she was just trying to keep the line moving while also managing a situation between two irate people. She was looking a little frazzled as it was so I understand her not wanting to get too involved in a dispute.

Honestly, even if I had been able to get the woman's contact info she obviously wasn't going to cooperate with me, which means I'd just chase her around and have her ignore my calls and it would be next to impossible to get any money out of her anyway. The only alternative would be small claims court, which for $100 ski repair wouldn't be worth it anyway. For me it was just the principle of the matter. It chaps my ass that people are so ignorant and irresponsible.
Old 03-09-2017, 12:02 PM   #174
TomLeeMC
Backup Goalie

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
Hey guys,

I am looking at buying some new snowboard boots, snow pants, mitts, and my first helmet.

Anyone see any good deals out there? I want quality but trying to avoid full MSRP right now.
This may be a little late but I know Splitboard HQ is having an end of season sale. Helmets up to 40% off but it ends tomorrow. Located across from COP.
The Following User Says Thank You to TomLeeMC For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 12:24 PM   #175
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSXCman View Post
My go-to online spots:

Monod Sports
LaCordee
Altitude-Sports
Liveoutthere
Atmosphere

All of them have their end of season sales on right now.
The Following User Says Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2017, 01:28 PM   #176
bossy22
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Forecast for Whitefish is 35" of snow over the next few days.
bossy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 11:41 PM   #177
TheSutterDynasty
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossy22 View Post
Forecast for Whitefish is 35" of snow over the next few days.
Can't believe no one is talking about Whitefish or Fernie.

Fernie has had 10+ cm (and a couple 30cms last week) on 12 of the last 14 days.

Whitefish is right around the same with a few 20-30cm days of their own.

Fernie last 2 weeks is 240cm.

This makes the consistent snow that Banff/Louise is getting look like nothing. And it's been good there too!

Great ski year.

An environment in which a person encounters only beliefs or opinions that coincide with their own, so that their existing views are reinforced and alternative ideas are not considered.
TheSutterDynasty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:24 AM   #178
Huntingwhale
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSutterDynasty View Post
Can't believe no one is talking about Whitefish or Fernie.

Fernie has had 10+ cm (and a couple 30cms last week) on 12 of the last 14 days.

Whitefish is right around the same with a few 20-30cm days of their own.

Fernie last 2 weeks is 240cm.

This makes the consistent snow that Banff/Louise is getting look like nothing. And it's been good there too!

Great ski year.
Down south has been getting a lot of love. People were getting turned away at Castle last month . My best ski day this season was by far at Fernie. While it's been a great season overall, south has completely outdone the Rockies, and it's not even close.
Huntingwhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 10:48 AM   #179
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

My friend is at Lake Louise today (March 16) and is reporting 21 cm new snow.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 06:50 PM   #180
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

^What, over 100cm for April for them? Heading out tomorrow, hope there's some fresh lines!

Haha well Sunshine will have to bump up the lift passes to $125 a day to cover lost revenue. Sure glad Parks is trying to massively boost attendance while not having the resources to hold more people.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3089698/pa...ing-fall-2017/

Tags
cherry cherry pow pow , footy for the boys , total sendy