Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-02-2017, 10:27 AM   #41
Handsome B. Wonderful
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
It's not surprising to me that people will complain about anything, but I am always amused by the sheer variety of loosely related reasons they'll give for complaining about it.
I feel no shame complaining about my taxes funding government programs for idiots who can't change their own light bulbs.
Handsome B. Wonderful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #42
Firebot
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome B. Wonderful View Post
I feel no shame complaining about my taxes funding government programs for idiots who can't change their own light bulbs.
I can change my own light bulb, but if the government wants to pay some Ontario guy 1000$ to change my light bulb with my own money, and my money will be spent regardless, i may as well have the Ontario guy change my lightbulb. I never voted NDP but a lot of idiots did, so may as well get my lightbulb.
Firebot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #43
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

I'd like to call this the most asinine decision coming from the Notley government, but its not.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:33 AM   #44
malcolmk14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
A NEST for every Albertan?

About 3.5 million households at $300 per NEST? That's a BILLION DOLLA
There are only 1.5 million households in Alberta.
malcolmk14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to malcolmk14 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 10:37 AM   #45
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Hahah what no it doesn't.

There are even caveats in the code that you change out your own switches/receptacles and light fixtures without a permit/electrician, let alone changing a bulb.
You can wire your whole house if you want. There are a few things that only electricians can do but most stuff can be done under a home owners permit.
OMG!WTF! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:38 AM   #46
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Hahah what no it doesn't.

There are even caveats in the code that you change out your own switches/receptacles and light fixtures without a permit/electrician, let alone changing a bulb.
Section 2, can't remember the rule number but it's one of the very first rules in there. If you can find an appendix that says otherwise let me know.
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:39 AM   #47
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I'm going to take out my CFL and LED bulbs right before they come, replace them with incandescents.

Might make me an #######, but if my taxes are going to endlessly go up during the NDP reign, I'm going to at least get a couple replacement LED bulbs out of it.

If I can get them to give me 15 LED bulbs, I figure those bulbs will only be costing me about $125 each in extra taxes. What a deal.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:40 AM   #48
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

How does a low-flow shower head save on CO2 emissions? Less energy spent on water treatment, pumping, etc?
calf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:42 AM   #49
Looch City
Looooooooooooooch

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmk14 View Post
There are only 1.5 million households in Alberta.
Correct, I took the persons count incorrectly. So about $450 million, I'll take one please.
Looch City is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #50
Canehdianman
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calf View Post
How does a low-flow shower head save on CO2 emissions? Less energy spent on water treatment, pumping, etc?
less water usage = less energy usage to heat the water.
Canehdianman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:43 AM   #51
Flacker
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Your hot-water tank does not run on rainbows.
Flacker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flacker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 10:44 AM   #52
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Section 2, can't remember the rule number but it's one of the very first rules in there. If you can find an appendix that says otherwise let me know.
About the only thing you can't do as a homeowner is mess with the main line coming into your house...

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/H...s-permits.aspx
Old 03-02-2017, 10:47 AM   #53
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Bumface View Post
How much C02 will be emitted by guys driving around changing light bulbs?
The similar amount per household emitted by anyone who would go to a store to buy and change out an LED bulb themselves.

Would you actually like to know?

Say you have 5 incandescent bulbs they switch to LEDs, and let's say they stay on for an average of 4 hours a day (maybe you have more bulbs and you use less, maybe you leave the bulbs on longer, this is just a low-range example).

Your CO2 emissions would go from approximately 230 kg per year, to 23 kg per year, saving 200ish kg over the course of just one year.

So, how much CO2 is used by driving to your house?
An average vehicle expels 0.27kg of CO2 into the atmosphere per KM (efficient cars less, commercial vehicles more). Say the distance between each stop is 45KM (roughly the distance between the Airport and McKenzie Town using the ring road, some will be less, few more).

The amount of CO2 expelled for a 45KM trip in an average vehicle would be 12KG.

So, including the driving around, the CO2 savings from switching just one home to LEDs is approximately 185KG in the first year, and 200KG every year after.

This makes the carbon load of driving around to get these things switched completely irrelevant and pointless to worry about.

Last edited by PepsiFree; 03-02-2017 at 10:50 AM.
PepsiFree is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 10:49 AM   #54
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggy City View Post
Correct, I took the persons count incorrectly. So about $450 million, I'll take one please.
I doubt they are giving out Nests. Programmable thermostats are under $100.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #55
OMG!WTF!
Franchise Player

Exp:

I want one of these...

Old 03-02-2017, 10:54 AM   #56
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebot View Post
What kinds of products are included?
Low-flow showerheads

No way on that one, that's almost as bad as low-flow toilets...

I want to keep my industrial strength showerhead!
Yep, no thanks.

I prefer my showerhead to be Serb made. I hear they are fanatical about their showers.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #57
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Envitro View Post
So do I feel like an idiot for changing out everything to LED a few years back. I guess my garage lights are CFL tubes...

An I also have two NEST thermostats... Can they just send me a cheque then? LOL of course not
The thing is, and it was interesting when we were first discussing the impact of the Carbon Tax before it rolled out and we realized what a complete joke it was, but people in the threads were talking about the measures they'd taken to make their homes more energy efficient.

And we're talking about lowering the thermostat from 24 to 20, or making sure their windows closed properly or put the insulating film on windows or making sure their door-seals are good.

Like....basic stuff. So basic that your average homeowner probably did this in their first week.

So whatever you're going to get out of this is going to be tiny. Were people living in homes where the walls didnt line up properly and just had wind blowing through and since theres no Carbon Tax they just cranked up the temperature? I doubt it.

Energy Efficient Lightbulbs?

Are there Energy Inefficient Lightbulbs? Is there an aisle in RONA where I can get them?

"No thank you! I dont want the Energy Efficient Lightbulbs, could you please direct me to the lightbulbs that instantly vaporize flora and fauna? I want a lightbulb that consumes more power than a small village. Thats the bulb for me!"

Thats what gets me.

"You'll be surprised at how much of a difference these small changes will make!!"

Will I? I dont think I will be.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg

Last edited by Locke; 03-02-2017 at 11:00 AM.
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2017, 10:56 AM   #58
PaperBagger'14
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMG!WTF! View Post
About the only thing you can't do as a homeowner is mess with the main line coming into your house...

http://www.calgary.ca/PDA/pd/Pages/H...s-permits.aspx
Assuming you pulled a permit first. Did you pull a permit or do you expect the NDP to do it? The first line under the electrical sub heading explains it very well:

An electrical permit is required for all electrical installations and renovations
PaperBagger'14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 10:58 AM   #59
You Need a Thneed
Voted for Kodos

Exp:

Quote:
Technically yes, those things.

However, the benefit to the environment from those things is essentially zero.

Yes, we need to take care of our fresh water, but in Calgary, that extra water goes down the drain, gets treated, and goes back into the river cleaner than when it came out.

For thing like showering, lower flow doesn't necessarily reduce the total water consumption as much as one might think. Rinsing hair, etc requires a certain amount of total water, not just "stick your head under the shower for 5 seconds"
Old 03-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #60
Fuzz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaperBagger'14 View Post
Assuming you pulled a permit first. Did you pull a permit or do you expect the NDP to do it? The first line under the electrical sub heading explains it very well:

An electrical permit is required for all electrical installations and renovations
I'm pretty sure you don't need to pull a permit to change a light bulb. Give 311 a call and ask them. Let us know the duration of laughter in seconds, or minutes if it goes that long.
Fuzz is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fuzz For This Useful Post: