Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-17-2017, 07:27 PM   #781
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygeologist View Post
I don't know if Garland will feel compelled to write a tell-all with all the free time that he will have but I think it would be interesting to hear his entire story and what went down.

are you seriously f-ked in the head?
Old 02-17-2017, 07:36 PM   #782
calgaryblood
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post

Seriously? Dateline is one of the most popular tv shows ever and that's exactly what they do. It's not millions of effed in the head people who watch those shows. No need to be dramatic.
calgaryblood is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to calgaryblood For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 07:47 PM   #783
peter12
Franchise Player

Exp:

I don't think there is anything interesting to learn from a guy who felt the need to bludgeon a five year old to death while he slept with his grandma.
peter12 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to peter12 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 08:33 PM   #784
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post

Come on, we watch movies and tv shows about this type of stuff all the time and it has been hugely popular for tens of years. I'd rather read or hear a tell all of what led to the attack and what actually happened as opposed to watch a two hour movie loosely based on the facts of the case.
calgarygeologist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:15 PM   #785
Pizza
Poster

Exp:

Quote:
Come on, we watch movies and tv shows about this type of stuff all the time and it has been hugely popular for tens of years. I'd rather read or hear a tell all of what led to the attack and what actually happened as opposed to watch a two hour movie loosely based on the facts of the case.
I'd rather hear this story:

"Vigilante Inmates: The story of how we made a daily routine of making Garland's life a living hell"
Pizza is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pizza For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 09:27 PM   #786
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigtmac19 View Post
I don't think I've ever heard of a defense lawyer objecting to a Victim Impact Statement. I did not know that was allowed. Learned something new today. I agree it's very disappointing that they were censored. I'm guessing they have some sort of guideline to follow when writing them?
It is not completely uncommon for victim impact statements to cross lines. And a respectful application to edit them is exactly how you proceed. The same thing happens sometimes in court-ordered pre-sentence reports. It is completely understandable for a victim to lash out at the convicted person (especially in a homicide) or attack the system or even say things that themselves would be criminal. But there is a very good reason not to allow that type of stuff to become formally part of a sentencing proceeding.

In fact, in at least half of the times I have dealt with it, the prosecutor or the court was the one suggesting the edits.
MBates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 09:31 PM   #787
WhiteTiger
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBates View Post
It is not completely uncommon for victim impact statements to cross lines. And a respectful application to edit them is exactly how you proceed. The same thing happens sometimes in court-ordered pre-sentence reports. It is completely understandable for a victim to lash out at the convicted person (especially in a homicide) or attack the system or even say things that themselves would be criminal. But there is a very good reason not to allow that type of stuff to become formally part of a sentencing proceeding.

In fact, in at least half of the times I have dealt with it, the prosecutor or the court was the one suggesting the edits.
I imagine that this likely stems from the victim not really knowing what the victim impact statement is for. I wouldn't, either. I'd just write what I was thinking/feeling at the time and what it'd made me think/feel since then, and honestly...probably wouldn't be very good for 'public' consumption anyhow.
WhiteTiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #788
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntingwhale View Post
I get the defence has a job to do, they are there to protect our rights, and all that jazz. But FFS. The guy murdered 3 people and was found guilty. There is now zero doubt he did it. And now you want to argue that the victim statements are too harsh? And you actually convinced the judge to get the mother to edit some of her words? Give me a f'ing break. It's crap like that, that makes people hate lawyers who defend scum like him. Hell if I was in her position, I'd make sure to stare at Garland and read it anyways, extra loud. Good riddance.
Maybe the people who hate defence lawyers for 'crap like that' are the ones who are wrong?

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBCMeg/st...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Quote:
Gates thanks the lawyers on both sides: you have all demonstrated the very best of what the legal profession aspires to be
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 09:37 PM   #789
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Do you have an example of hugely popular books by killers detailing their vicious and horrific murder of multiple victims, including a child?

I honestly can't name one, so I'm doubting the popularity of that format. Maybe I'm wrong.

But if I'm wrong in thinking it's extremely morbid and insensitive to want to hear a child killer detail his act, then I'm fine with that either way.
PepsiFree is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PepsiFree For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 09:49 PM   #790
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
I don't know if Garland will feel compelled to write a tell-all with all the free time that he will have but I think it would be interesting to hear his entire story and what went down.
....and let him collect royalties from book sales? Not a chance in Hell!

Seriously, what kind of person would want to read the graphic details of how he murdered his victims.
Old 02-17-2017, 09:54 PM   #791
Otto-matic
Franchise Player

Exp:

One person who deserves a ton of credit getting Garland in prison is his very own sister. If she didn't tip off the police that it was his truck. He may have gotten away with these horrific crimes.
Otto-matic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:20 PM   #792
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepsiFree View Post
Do you have an example of hugely popular books by killers detailing their vicious and horrific murder of multiple victims, including a child?
There's 10 books written for John Wayne Gacy alone. No idea how many on Ted Bundy but there's a few for sure. Helter Skelter goes into graphic detail of the Manson murders and as of 2015 has sold over 7 million copies.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:24 PM   #793
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Maybe the people who hate defence lawyers for 'crap like that' are the ones who are wrong?

https://mobile.twitter.com/CBCMeg/st...7Ctwgr%5Etweet

Maybe the lawyers that defend a a man so obviously guilty that they cannot even concoct a defense, and then proceed to claim his innocence in their closing arguments, and the proceed to F up the victim impact statements with a bunch of irrelevant BS, need to just re-examine their purpose.

This isn't a car theft. This isn't bank robbery. This is premeditated murder that involved about a quarter of a family, and a five year old boy.

I appreciate your stoic replies, and your deeply informative responses, but this is not a drug deal gone wrong, this is a 5 year old boy getting tortured and murdered by a psycho bastard that hated his grandpa.

As badly as I need to take my emotion out of it, I think you need to put your emotion into it to understand why these lawyers lost all my respect by dragging this out even longer with the impact statement objections.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:26 PM   #794
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
....and let him collect royalties from book sales? Not a chance in Hell!
He can't. Alberta has a Son of Sam law, unlike BC.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DownhillGoat For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:32 PM   #795
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
Maybe the lawyers that defend a a man so obviously guilty that they cannot even concoct a defense, and then proceed to claim his innocence in their closing arguments, and the proceed to F up the victim impact statements with a bunch of irrelevant BS, need to just re-examine their purpose.

This isn't a car theft. This isn't bank robbery. This is premeditated murder that involved about a quarter of a family, and a five year old boy.

I appreciate your stoic replies, and your deeply informative responses, but this is not a drug deal gone wrong, this is a 5 year old boy getting tortured and murdered by a psycho bastard that hated his grandpa.

As badly as I need to take my emotion out of it, I think you need to put your emotion into it to understand why these lawyers lost all my respect by dragging this out even longer with the impact statement objections.
They probably did the family a favour by not allowing submissions to be read that could call into question bias in sentencing.

Everyone wanted this to be over. Trust the professionals to do their job.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to morgin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:38 PM   #796
MBates
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post

Sigh...

You are more than entitled to your view. I suspect the lawyers will place more weight on the view of the trial judge who they did all of their work in front of for the last 5 weeks, including the application to edit the victim impact statements.

The judge, who of course used to be a lawyer, gained respect for them such that he classes them in the group of the best that the profession can aspire to be.

You have lost all respect for them.

I side with the judge on this one.

Will it help me if I type it with more passion?
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to MBates For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #797
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
There's 10 books written for John Wayne Gacy alone. No idea how many on Ted Bundy but there's a few for sure. Helter Skelter goes into graphic detail of the Manson murders and as of 2015 has sold over 7 million copies.
Well, not one of Gacy or Bundy's books are popular, let alone hugely popular, and Helter Skelter was not written by Manson nor does it contain firsthand accounts of the murders.

Again: show me an example of a hugely popular book by a killer detailing his murders. That is not a huge market, that's a market for disturbed people.

Pickton's book was so popular you can barely find it in stock... anywhere... because nobody wants to touch it with a ten foot pole.

Reading books by murderers about their murders is not popular, and it's completely disrespectful to the family and the victims.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:50 PM   #798
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

Quote:
Sigh...

You are more than entitled to your view. I suspect the lawyers will place more weight on the view of the trial judge who they did all of their work in front of for the last 5 weeks, including the application to edit the victim impact statements.

The judge, who of course used to be a lawyer, gained respect for them such that he classes them in the group of the best that the profession can aspire to be.

You have lost all respect for them.

I side with the judge on this one.

Will it help me if I type it with more passion?
I don't know why, but you've somehow made your point with this sarcastic remark. Maybe I should STFU for 24 hours.

You do a job I could never do. I sincerely thank you for that.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to 4X4 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2017, 10:57 PM   #799
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
I doubt anyone wrote a book for John Wayne Gacy. Those books were written about him. That's a big difference. The guy who prosecuted Charles Manson and sent him to prison for life wrote Helter Skelter.

There is a True Crime section in every bookstore.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 11:00 PM   #800
PepsiFree
Participant
Participant

Exp:

Yeah, I'm not denying the popularity of true crime books/movies/TV.

I'm denying the popularity of books written BY murderers detailing their thought process and murders. I cant imagine who that would appeal to.