Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Food and Entertainment
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #301
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
Yeah I didn't mean i don't understand the point of telling the story. I meant that no one knows where the story is going.

If we get to the end and William tries to have sex with Delores and she turns him down and laughs at his small penis and that turns out to be the motivation for him turning to the MIB and helping Arnold take down the park, I'm gonna be pretty disappointed.

I'm also not confused as to why the story might be told over many years. Understanding the characters motivations and desires makes perfect sense. It is now up to the show to make sure that the timeline theory reveals all that in such a way that makes it relevant and interesting.

If it turns out their interactions and motivations have no meaning then the timeline thing won't be good tv.
Overall, I think what they're doing is much better than some rehashed King Kong pets go wild type story. Like I said before, I'll reserve final judgment until I see the actual execution though.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 11:08 AM   #302
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

What I don't like about the timeline theory is why keep it a "secret"? Keeping it ambiguous adds nothing to the story and I think it'd be far more enjoyable and easy to follow the show if they told us outright that it's two timelines of the same character.

Last edited by polak; 11-09-2016 at 02:53 PM.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 12:31 PM   #303
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
What I don't like about the timeline theory is why keep it a "secret". Keeping ambiguous adds nothing to the story and I think it'd be far more enjoyable and easy to follow the show if they told us outright that it's two timelines of the same character.
I kind of like the which one if any is MIB tension. Does whitehat find the maze and is "enlightened" and black hat goes crazy buys the park to find out. Or does something happen before that sets MIB on his quest. The ambiguity of who MIB is if developed properly can pay off as long as there is a good thematic reason for his transformation
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:49 PM   #304
Cappy
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
I don't think they are going for the "shocking twist" angle with the timeline theory. They've made it too obvious for that. At this point it would be more of a twist if we're in one timeline.
I don't know if it could be said that the two timeline theory is "obvious"

No way i would've picked it up without looking on reddit post-epi discussions.

Im sure most people watching who don't seek answers on the internet are completely unaware of the connection.
Cappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 01:59 PM   #305
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post

Im sure most people watching who don't seek answers on the internet are completely unaware of the connection.

Agreed.

I know a number of people who are not frequent internet readers and with the exception of some talk at the water cooler wouldn't have discuss the show a ton. They have no idea that there may be multiple timelines in play. I have decided not to spoil it for them as I think it may be more fun to not know. Heck, I kind of wish I didn't know but between reading CP and surfing the web pretty frequently I've had a number of articles with spoilerish titles get posted on my google news page.

Despite the internet's fascination with it and a few people proclaiming it is hit-you-in-the-face obvious, most people wouldn't in a million years notice that the logos were different or pick up on some of the other super subtle hints.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 03:16 PM   #306
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cappy View Post

When you look at who the producers are and the degree to which their former works have been dissected frame by frame, they are being obvious. They might as well have put giant flashing neon lights. They knew full well the fandom would pick up on the hints immediately.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2016, 05:58 PM   #307
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Yeah if it weren't for this thread discussing I wouldn't have considered the multiple timelines theory. To be honest I don't really care for plot theories and speculation as I think they take away from the fun of just watching the events unfold on the show.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Party Elephant For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 06:08 PM   #308
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I wouldn't have noticed the logos but time was messed
Up from the start with the android interviews so once you notice that you start seeing the other thematic parts. Though I'm not sure I would have got to White hat MIB until whitehat startet shooting people.
Old 11-09-2016, 11:45 PM   #309
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Not sure if it's been mentioned, just watched the episode and when Bernard is searching for anomalies, the computer reports 5 additional ones found, but when Bernard goes to check it out, there's 4 hosts and Ford. Unless the dog counts.

Old 11-10-2016, 05:21 AM   #310
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by blankall View Post
When you look at who the producers are and the degree to which their former works have been dissected frame by frame, they are being obvious. They might as well have put giant flashing neon lights. They knew full well the fandom would pick up on the hints immediately.
No, being obvious was having consistent transitions to flashbacks and flash forwards in Lost. Those were giant flashing neon signs. Being obvious was having The Machine and Samaritan review archived footage with date stamps when a flashback was being shown in Person of Interest. Those were giant flashing neon signs. Both shows from the producers of this show, both that didn't try to hide timelines for some silly "gotcha" reveal down the line.
Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Not sure if it's been mentioned, just watched the episode and when Bernard is searching for anomalies, the computer reports 5 additional ones found, but when Bernard goes to check it out, there's 4 hosts and Ford. Unless the dog counts.
The dog was built, no reason to think it wouldn't count.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 11-10-2016, 09:08 AM   #311
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

I think I said this earlier in the thread but we view the show through the Androids lens in terms of information.

We know what Bernard knows, what Delores and Maeve see. So from the robot point of view they are trapped in time loops and don't have an anchor for when now is. By offering clues to the viewer its much like the robots reveries as they slowly gain consciousness.

And if you look at the MIB storyline we only know what Laurence and now Teddy see.
Old 11-12-2016, 06:26 AM   #312
badradio
First Line Centre

Exp:

Music for episode 6 was A couple Radiohead songs. Fake plastic trees and Motion picture soundtrack.

My theory is Bernard is Arnold (in robot form). I'm glad to see others have that theory as well... good call on the anagram, when he said his full name I was wondering that as well...

Anyone know if this is an on-going series or is it over in 12 episodes?
badradio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 07:43 AM   #313
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

It is only 10 episodes but it will have more seasons.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2016, 08:04 AM   #314
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back in January, they shut down production for two months so that the showrunners could catch up on the scripts for the final episodes and map out a plan for the future of the series. In that time, they came up with a rough plan for a 5-7 season total run.

I believe that this week's episode is the first one shot after the shutdown (although, I don't know if they reshot/reworked any of the previous episodes during the shutdown to fit with the longer plan).
Old 11-12-2016, 08:15 AM   #315
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

it wasn't quite as simple as they just took a short hiatus to plan the future. They took a break to make sure the show could avoid disaster. There were lots of rumours the production was a mess, was way over budget and that it would be another HBO flop like Vinyl.

Quote:
Late last year, HBO stopped work on the pricey J.J. Abrams-produced Westworld, based on a 1970's sci-fi movie series. and with an enormous cast including Anthony Hopkins and Ed Harris. Initially produced with Warners' TV production arm, HBO took back control after what sources call clashes with creator Jonathan Nolan, whose TV credit is the WBTV-produced Person of Interest on CBS. (HBO usually makes its own programming but works with Warners on The Leftovers.) Nolan is said to be every bit as controlling as his filmmaker brother Chris. Sources say cuts came in slowly, scripts started running behind, and it became apparent that episodes already shot needed tweaks requiring additional filming. Since stopping production, HBO persuaded Nolan to "put aside his ego," one source says, and has brought in two additional producers and two more writers. Production is set to resume in March.

"Westworld is wildly ambitious — on the page and on set," says Nolan. "In broadcast TV, it's been routine for us to write and shoot at the same time. This is a completely different animal. As we got closer to the final episodes, we realized we needed to take a break from shooting to catch up on writing. HBO and WBTV have been incredibly supportive throughout the process. It would have been literally impossible to make this show anywhere else."
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...stworld-868605
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2016, 01:01 PM   #316
mikephoen
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
I wouldn't have noticed the logos but time was messed
Up from the start with the android interviews so once you notice that you start seeing the other thematic parts. Though I'm not sure I would have got to White hat MIB until whitehat startet shooting people.
I noticed that the android interviews weren't making sense timewise right away, but I assumed that it was just bad storytelling. When you have a critically revered show like Game of Thrones where Littlefinger can travel across a continent as if he had a jetpack or teleporter and Arya can heal from multiple stab wounds like she is Wolverine, you start to assume that every show is just playing fast and loose with logic and internal consistency. I was enjoying Westworld despite what I took to be storytelling lapses. When I heard about the multiple timelines thing and rewatched the series looking for it, it now seems obvious. And now I think the show is amazing, probably the best I've seen in years.

Hopefully they follow through now and the rest of the season is as awesome as the first 6 episodes have been. If they can, then Westworld could end up being one of the best shows ever.

If anyone is interested, I found some great write ups that explain the timeline theories and other theories on vanityfair.com that I highly recommend.
mikephoen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:26 PM   #317
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Not sure where it will end up on the best shows ever ranking -- but I think we can all agree it's better than Vinyl.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2016, 02:30 PM   #318
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Vinyl was the rare HBO show that I had no interest in watching.
Old 11-13-2016, 09:19 PM   #319
ResAlien
Lifetime In Suspension

Exp:

Damn no one's watched tonight's episode yet? Some theories definitely confirmed.
ResAlien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 09:38 PM   #320
The Fonz
Our Jessica Fletcher

Exp:

William is definitely MIB. He's becoming obsessed with the park, and "what does it all mean?". He also said he can never go back to his fake life.

I'm wondering if corporate is Logan's family's company.
The Fonz is online now   Reply With Quote