Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2016, 10:18 AM   #301
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I heard a very interesting statement last night. That in raw numbers Trump attracted the same amount of votes as Romney.

But Clinton drew over 5,000,000 less than what voted for Obama.

I think a lot of sanders democrats just didn't vote.
Democrats probably shouldn't have went all in on an incredibly disliked candidate because it was "her turn".

It's pretty hard to feel bad for them as a party right now. The average american I feel for. I even feel for the poor hopeless people that voted for Trump. They think they're going to get help, and they're not.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #302
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

The logic was that a generic republican could beat Clinton. It turns out trump was a generic republican. A rich white guy whose policies favour rich white guys who tells the masses to vote for them or bad things will happen.

The biggest error in pundentry was to assume that republicans wouldn't vote for trump.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:22 AM   #303
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Lol Politico is reporting Goldman Sachs veteran Steven Mnuchin is under serious consideration as Treasury secretary. Straight out of the working class.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #304
calf
broke the first rule

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenLantern2814 View Post
Maybe if we're really lucky, the fat old man who has led a life of excess while eating KFC for dinner will suffer a massive heart attack and die.
If this happens, Mike Pence will become President.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #305
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Lol Politico is reporting Goldman Sachs veteran Steven Mnuchin is under serious consideration as Treasury secretary. Straight out of the working class.
If you can make money off of both sides of a housing crisis and stay out of jail that's a pretty good resume. He also won't support protectionism
Old 11-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #306
GreenLantern2814
Franchise Player

Exp:

Four more years of Mr Garrison as President on South Park.

#### em all to death.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #307
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by activeStick View Post
I agree with you that everyone underestimated just how pervasive Trump's views were and how many closet Trumpists there are.

Not sure I agree that the results were due largely to uneducated whites though. Didn't the exit polls show over 75% of whites (period) voted for Trump?

Similar to how we underestimated how pervasive racism and sexist beliefs are, it may also be a time to accept that the majority of whites in the US still hold dangerous views which align with Trump no?
I meant the uneducated as a whole, not just uneducated whites. Though that is not wrong either. According to the New York Times, Trump was +40 (!) among whites without college degrees. Whites with degrees shifted toward Hillary, but still went Republican by 3-4 points.

The vote by income bracket is just bizarre. The poor tend to vote Democrat and the rich Republican - and that is still true here - but in all cases, the vote was pushing the opposite direction. More people in lower income brackets voted Republican in 2016 than 2012, and more in higher voted Democrat in 2016 than 2012.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:26 AM   #308
JurassicTunga12
Franchise Player

Exp:

Old 11-09-2016, 10:27 AM   #309
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Hahaha not even a full day. Impressive. Probably explains why the markets are do so well.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:28 AM   #310
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
It's funny, this whole election I talked to people about echo chambers and how it caused all of Trumps supporters to band together online into their own private echo chambers of r/the_donald, Fox News, pro-Trump pundits/conspiracy theorists, etc. and all buy into that reality.

I forgot to leave my own echo chamber of liberal, rational, scientific websites and forums and really explore those and realize how powerful the other sides really were.
I ended up reading the sites you listed above and others. I never took Fox seriously before this election but imo they were more in touch with reality.

Many of the mainstream media sources that I generally trust were not very balanced in their coverage. r/politics became completely broken (paid posters?) and I stopped reading it.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #311
Flabbibulin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wow, Michael Moore seems to have called it well. One of the few mainstream voices that predicted this.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:41 AM   #312
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

The thing I find funny is that more moderate conservatives who admit that Trump was a terrible candidate and still supported him, seemed at least love having a candidate hated so much by Democrats and liberals. It was almost like have a candidate the other side loathes was just as important (or more important) than having one you liked.

It's like the internet "trolling culture" working its way into the fabric of ordinary life.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #313
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

At least weed was legalized here - makes this morning a tiny bit more tolerable
The Following User Says Thank You to socalwingfan For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 10:42 AM   #314
automaton 3
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_carlson View Post
I heard a very interesting statement last night. That in raw numbers Trump attracted the same amount of votes as Romney.

But Clinton drew over 5,000,000 less than what voted for Obama.

I think a lot of sanders democrats just didn't vote.
Would not surprise me at all. What did Clinton actually stand for other than "I'm not Trump!" and continuity/more of the same.

As others have said, voters want a reason to vote for them - "don't vote for the other guy" is not good enough.

Obama had a positive message of hope and change which got lots of people out to vote.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:43 AM   #315
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 10:45 AM   #316
BananaPancakes
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by automaton 3 View Post
I ended up reading the sites you listed above and others. I never took Fox seriously before this election but imo they were more in touch with reality.

Many of the mainstream media sources that I generally trust were not very balanced in their coverage. r/politics became completely broken (paid posters?) and I stopped reading it.
Yeah I don't know what happened to /r/politics. They were censoring/deleting everything that was Anti-Hillary/Pro-Trump even if it was true (even some Pro-Sanders posts). It basically became a huge Hilary circle jerk.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:46 AM   #317
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyde View Post
Bernie may of won, though he lost the primary not, because of "rigging" but that he focused his campaign on white america and how the democrats lost them. He did not have the majority of people of colour. He habitually pivoted to class b/c he firmly believes that Democrats' Achilles heel was engaging in "identity politics" rather than economics. He correctly spoke that most White "working class" voters abandoned the democrats because they don't feel represented if/when civil rights come first. In essence he tired to calm their anxieties about joining a coalition w/POC by assuring them that his focus will be on money, not bigotry. Judging by his overwhelming support from predominately White males, he was exactly right. Only problem is they aren't the Democratic base. As he didn't later broaden his message to include the concerns of POC (expressly bigotry), he never really had a shot wining the nomination.
Sanders had more support from minorities than Clinton did. The only reason Clinton won the primaries is because she got support from the white male crowd. And because the media was stupid.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:47 AM   #318
Flash Walken
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiracSpike View Post
I mean...I know you posted an article outlining some methods taken since the last election to toughen up ID standards at the voting booth, but that seems pretty implicit to link it back to overwhelmingly effecting blacks. Was it that they wanted people to have two sets of ID and that would alienate some lower class people (blacks) from voting? I could see it, but when you have blacks energized to vote because of Obama the last two elections, to the degree that they had the second highest turnout rate only to college educated whites in 2012, you can't be surprised when those numbers dip after that energizing factor is gone.

On 538's site they have an infographic from the 2012 election where you can fiddle with turnout and support numbers from a bunch of different demo's. Moving the black support numbers to more average values swings the result to the republicans, which is what we just saw happen last night.
But what is the argument here, that because blacks weren't likely to vote in as large of numbers that suppressing their vote in key states isn't that big of a deal?

American citizens were prevented from casting a meaningless ballot for president in States where their vote may have held substantial meaning.

We can all agree Hillary was a bad candidate, that the democrats have a big issue in the disappearance of the guaranteed organized labour vote, but Republican governments in key battleground states used the law to prevent their black peers from voting.

It's not by accident that these voting rights legislations are passed only by republican lawmakers or that they impact minority voters, it's by design, it's racist, and it's what the voting rights act was meant to curb.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #319
VladtheImpaler
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Good. Imagine if they picked some doofus like Joe Ceci.

Please check out http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...94#post3726494

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VladtheImpaler For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #320
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
that's not true, all screened legal immigrants are fine.
Muslim immigrants are a problem.
Proof that the Trump phenomenon isn't explicitly an American problem.

You should really get off the internet and go out into the world and get to know some real people. You're in need of an education.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Closed Thread