Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-16-2016, 12:10 AM   #41
neo45
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I am absolutely terrified that we have an awful coach. He still has time to turn it around but I don't think anyone can argue that he botched the pre-season and has made some seriously questionable coaching decisions this far.

His system probably works in theory but the execution definitely hasn't been there in a single game including preseason.
neo45 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to neo45 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2016, 12:18 AM   #42
NomNomNom
Backup Goalie

Exp:

His system is the equivalent of a playground QB telling his friends to 'just get open.' I have no idea what I'm watching. Trying to simply outshoot the opposition isn't a system.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:21 AM   #43
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

For a possession strategy that is supposed to involve quick outs, carry ins, and low block shot requirements.....we sure chip off the glass, dump it in and block shots a lot.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:24 AM   #44
dustygoon
Franchise Player

Exp:

My problem with GG is the lack of conviction. It will take time, but if he is going to split gio and brody up and put brody on the left side, it should be so well thought out and the decision trusted so much that he doesn't change it after one road game.
dustygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:25 AM   #45
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post
For a possession strategy that is supposed to involve quick outs, carry ins, and low block shot requirements.....we sure chip off the glass, dump it in and block shots a lot.
Yes it is quite odd. Honestly feels like i'm still watching Hartley's system. I wonder if the players still haven't bought in yet.

I thought there were comments during the preseason that they were actually existing the defensive zone like a 5 man unit and having lots of puck support. I haven't seen any of that thus far.
Old 10-16-2016, 12:30 AM   #46
Classic_Sniper
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I might be in the minority, but I don't think Glen Gulutzen is the problem here. I really think more than anything, it's our best players not playing like our best players that's killing us. They're entrusted with the most ice time and right now they're the ones getting scored on and conversely at the same time not scoring.

In other words, the issues are stemming from individual based performance rather than coaching. Glen isn't strapping up the skates and playing the game and making mistakes on routine plays. Monahan, Gaudreau, Brodie, Hamilton, Wideman, Elliott and etc can be a lot better and they need to be a lot better if we're going to turn things around.
Classic_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Classic_Sniper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2016, 12:35 AM   #47
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

my fear is that he's trying to fit players into his system, instead of designing a system around the players he has.

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2016, 12:36 AM   #48
1qqaaz
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic_Sniper View Post
I might be in the minority, but I don't think Glen Gulutzen is the problem here. I really think more than anything, it's our best players not playing like our best players that's killing us. They're entrusted with the most ice time and right now they're the ones getting scored on and conversely at the same time not scoring.

In other words, the issues are stemming from individual based performance rather than coaching. Glen isn't strapping up the skates and playing the game and making mistakes on routine plays. Monahan, Gaudreau, Brodie, Hamilton, Wideman, Elliott and etc can be a lot better and they need to be a lot better if we're going to turn things around.
It's probably a combination of both (individual performances and coaching), but you definitely have a point.

There must be reasons for the lack of effectiveness in our top players. It's probably due to a missed camp. It's probably due to bad coaching choices, and a new coaching system. Maybe there's some bad puck luck.

There's no one single reason for the Flames' 3 losses. But poor individual performances is definitely a big one.
1qqaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 12:54 AM   #49
heep223
Could Care Less

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustygoon View Post

They have barely dumped the puck all season. They are carrying it in 95% of the time. Also rarely chip it out. Not sure how you're coming to those conclusions because I see it completely opposite.

I think that's where the issue lies actually...the players are getting used to carrying the puck out of the zone and into the zone. And they are turning it over quite a bit.
heep223 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to heep223 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2016, 04:17 AM   #50
Vinny01
Franchise Player

Exp:

Haven't been a fan so far but to be fair to GG these types of systems take time. My worry coming into the season was the Flames struggling to adapt and therefore getting off to a bad start. I was hopeful since we open the season with 5 games against poor teams from last year we would still play well. Dropping these first 3 games stings. The fact the team had a pretty bad training camp with their entire top line having only one player for one game also really hurts things. The fact Elliott has stunk up the place for 2 games has also been a let down.

It feels like the Flames do okay limiting scoring chances but the ones they give up are grade A breakaways or tap ins which makes the defensive look horrible at times.
Vinny01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:35 AM   #51
freakinsaprikin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

This is incredibly irrational, but I don't like the way GG looks behind the bench. He looks scared to me and I have this uneasy feeling in my stomach that we are looking at Gibertson or Hays 2.0.

Hope I'm wrong and I'm sure its just going to take the team some time to buy into the system, but I don't have a ton of confidence this is going to end well.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
freakinsaprikin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:43 AM   #52
The Hendog
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Wish we had hired Boudreau
I fear Glen could end up being the flames version of Eakins
The Hendog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to The Hendog For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2016, 07:43 AM   #53
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

I have a funny theory about the breakaways and about our D getting caught out of position: I think our DMen are worrying about their positioning in relation to OUR players, rather than the other team's. I think that will come once everyone settles in.
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #54
Red_Baron
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I'll give it time but if I were to give my thoughts right now, I'd say it is either pure genius or pure failure because I can't figure out what they are trying to do.

The alarming amount of mental mistakes suggests that the players are struggling with the system as a whole. If it was one or 2 player having off games, that is normal but when this many NHL vets are fumbling around, it makes you wonder.

They need some practice time as it seems like the preseason became an extended try-out session and without key players even being in camp, it was impossible to get the players immersed in the system prior to the season. Management has to own that one a bit as well.
Red_Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Red_Baron For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #55
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post
It would be interesting (and obviously crappy) to see how much rope he gets if we continue like this. And what happens to Treliving....
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 07:56 AM   #56
Lanny_McDonald
Franchise Player

Exp:

It's early, but the swarm looks to be a better system than what the Flames are playing. So far this is not looking like a good hiring decision by Treliving. I think he's got another 17 games to work out the wrinkles. Sadly, that may be enough to cost the team a chance at the post season.
Lanny_McDonald is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lanny_McDonald For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2016, 08:32 AM   #57
curves2000
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
It would be interesting (and obviously crappy) to see how much rope he gets if we continue like this. And what happens to Treliving....

Frankly I don't know much rope will actually get in a lot of ways.

Talking to fans they are always bringing up the fact that Hartley wasn't a Treleving hire, 100% accurate but they also forget that it was Treleving who extended him by 2 years. You can agree or disagree on if Hartley should have been extended or signed for a year or fired but you can't argue that the management made the decision to extend for 2 and fire a year later and costing ownership close to $2 mil. In the eye's of the owners that's almost like a mulligan there.
curves2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:38 AM   #58
DazzlinDino
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hendog View Post

It's still too early to jump the gun but maybe we should have focused on an experienced coach with a winning record. My feeling is BT wanted a guy who is a communicator and can connect with the players. If last nights game was any indication they seemed all over the place when they had chances to bear down for the win.
DazzlinDino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:51 AM   #59
The Professor
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Hard to say if we are seeing the system being executed or not. Obviously whatever is happening isn't working.
The Professor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2016, 08:54 AM   #60
Lanny'sDaMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Lanny'sDaMan For This Useful Post: