Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 10-02-2016, 08:18 PM   #21
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whoa.

That's about the best I can do right now. This is going to be an amazing ride.

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 10:46 PM   #22
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I got intrigued enough to watch this tonight after all -- pretty damn interesting premiere. Loved Nolan's exploration of AI in Person of Interest, so I'm excited to see where he takes it in this setting. A few different angles to watch in addition to that. Namely, what's the big picture for corporation behind Westworld? And what's Ed Harris up to?

Phenomenal music, too. I lost it when the player piano started into Black Hole Sun. And then how the shootout was set to a western saloon gunslinging Paint It Black. Hmm, two songs with Black in the title...
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 10:51 PM   #23
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Ditto on music. Thought it was awesome.

Totally loved the misdirection they played. Anyone who's seen the movie probably assumed Ed Harris was the Yul Brenner type character and Marsden was the newcomer.

Very intriguing.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2016, 11:14 PM   #24
MoneyGuy
Franchise Player

Exp:

I may have found my new favourite series.
MoneyGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:13 AM   #25
gottabekd
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

I hope the snarky Scandinavian-accented head of operations gets better. The poor acting was really drawing me out.

Besides that, all-around solid premiere. I liked the teasing about "literally couldn't hurt a fly", and the (expected) payoff at the end.

I was a little distracted wondering about how the gunfighting worked between the guests and the hosts. Like, what if a guest mistakenly shoots another guest? Do the guests have real guns and the hosts have fake ones? Are they all fake and the hosts just are wired up with bullet holes ready to explode when targeted by a laser pistol? I was hoping for a wink to the camera explaining these 'rules of the game'. Maybe that will come next week.
gottabekd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:25 AM   #26
zamler
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Great start, but I wish I was going in with no prior knowledge.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 03:05 PM   #27
Inferno099
Scoring Winger

Exp:

With Shaw can you add HBO Canada 279 a la carte or do you only have option by paying the $18 package monthly fee of the movie channels +HBO.

With Netflix & Shomi until Nov 30th there was no need for the Movie channels package.
Inferno099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:33 PM   #28
Yamer
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno099 View Post
With Shaw can you add HBO Canada 279 a la carte or do you only have option by paying the $18 package monthly fee of the movie channels +HBO.

With Netflix & Shomi until Nov 30th there was no need for the Movie channels package.
As far as I can tell, HBO has to be purchased in a package on Shaw (and Telus, for that matter).

"I see as much misery out of them moving to justify theirselves as them that set out to do harm."
-Dr. Amos "Doc" Cochran
Yamer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Yamer For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2016, 09:10 PM   #29
AltaGuy
AltaGuy has a magnetic personality and exudes positive energy, which is infectious to those around him. He has an unparalleled ability to communicate with people, whether he is speaking to a room of three or an arena of 30,000.

Exp:

Great first episode! I know nothing about this series. I gather it was an old one too or movie? How does it relate to Person of Interest, which I also have not seen? Should I?
AltaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:16 PM   #30
Winsor_Pilates
Franchise Player

Exp:

Really enjoyed it.
I like that the world can be as deep as needed, so there's really no limitations on good characters and story lines. So much potential here.
Winsor_Pilates is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Winsor_Pilates For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2016, 09:21 PM   #31
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
Great first episode! I know nothing about this series. I gather it was an old one too or movie? How does it relate to Person of Interest, which I also have not seen? Should I?
Old movie. Trailer is posted earlier in this thread.

No real relation to PoI except J. Nolan who was involved in both productions. He directed the pilot and adapted the story based on Michael Crighton's original screenplay.

In a previous thread on this topic I referred to Westworld being a Michael Creighton book and then a movie. I was mistaken that's not true it was an original screenplay that he wrote and he then directed the movie as well. Not sure why I thought it was a book too.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 10-03-2016 at 09:23 PM.
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2016, 09:23 PM   #32
puffnstuff
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AltaGuy View Post
There was a 70s movie. Yul Brynner was in it. Was on a couple of weeks ago, one of the movie channels.
puffnstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puffnstuff For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2016, 11:53 AM   #33
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

What a fantastic pilot episode, so many questions, interesting plot lines, flawless acting. It really exceeded my own expectations and I can hardly wait to watch it again next week.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 11:56 AM   #34
GGG
Franchise Player

Exp:

My only issue with this show is the fact they are androids with physical bodies which seems like a dated concept given the advances in virtual reality. This type of world makes much more sense as a VR creation then an Android amusement park. But I have decided to just ignore this and enjoy the show.
GGG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 12:43 PM   #35
Kybosh
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
My only issue with this show is the fact they are androids with physical bodies which seems like a dated concept given the advances in virtual reality. This type of world makes much more sense as a VR creation then an Android amusement park. But I have decided to just ignore this and enjoy the show.
My rationale is that VR doesn't, or perhaps can't, provide the immersive experience that the physical park does. I kinda doubt they'll get into this at all, but that's what I'm thinking. It really doesn't matter much for me though what the reasons are for physical versus VR. Also, for all we know, there could also be an element of VR that hasn't been presented on the show yet.
Kybosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 01:51 PM   #36
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Decent first episode, though I found the intro music to be annoying. It's like I hired a composer to "write me a theme that's just as good as the Game of Thrones intro but doesn't sound exactly like it" and then micromanaged them while only ever listening to the Game of Thrones intro.
Old 10-04-2016, 02:26 PM   #37
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottabekd View Post
I hope the snarky Scandinavian-accented head of operations gets better. The poor acting was really drawing me out.

Besides that, all-around solid premiere. I liked the teasing about "literally couldn't hurt a fly", and the (expected) payoff at the end.

I was a little distracted wondering about how the gunfighting worked between the guests and the hosts. Like, what if a guest mistakenly shoots another guest? Do the guests have real guns and the hosts have fake ones? Are they all fake and the hosts just are wired up with bullet holes ready to explode when targeted by a laser pistol? I was hoping for a wink to the camera explaining these 'rules of the game'. Maybe that will come next week.
It'd be pretty easy to put a sensor in them preventing the guns from hitting other guests. But you'd then have to worry about ricochets and things like glass shattering. Although it'd also make sense if the guns didn't have real bullets in them, because I doubt you'd want them firing at those expensive androids.

The bigger issue is what do you do when a pycho guest with a knife starts going after people.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:09 PM   #38
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by photon View Post
Decent first episode, though I found the intro music to be annoying. It's like I hired a composer to "write me a theme that's just as good as the Game of Thrones intro but doesn't sound exactly like it" and then micromanaged them while only ever listening to the Game of Thrones intro.
The composer for Westworld is the same person who compised the scores for Game of Thrones and Person of Interest, Ramin Djawadi.
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 03:45 PM   #39
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Lol I should have checked.
The Following User Says Thank You to photon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-04-2016, 03:51 PM   #40
To Be Quite Honest
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GGG View Post
Think of it as a place that only the mega wealthy can go. Anyone can afford a VR tech.
To Be Quite Honest is offline   Reply With Quote