Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 08-30-2016, 11:41 PM   #21
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Coffee View Post
I think the argument that there's sexism at play here is bull####. Did you read the article? In full?

She reminds me of Sean Avery or Terrell Owens... dbags get called out for what they are.
And even if that werent the case, this is sports, she can keep playing for her club and enjoy that but if her National Team thinks its time to move to 'the keeper of the future' then thats just what National Teams do.

Canada eventually retired Brodeur for Luongo, you just cant keep playing forever, no matter what crazy personal issues you may have.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:40 AM   #22
taco.vidal
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Charges were dropped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaster86 View Post
Yeah.

I mean, when I get fired up I beat the #### out of my nephew. It's the norm.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Who doesnt? Hes so used to it by now he just recognizes the subtle cues. Hes also viciously phobic of the smell of leather but I have no idea what thats about and I'm sure its completely unrelated.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KootenayFlamesFan View Post
I think if she made those comments after a league game or something there wouldn't have been as much backlash. But the Olympics are a different beast, it's not the time to be calling other athletes 'cowards'. Probably couldn't pick a worse time, actually.

The domestic violence stuff along with the drinking and driving in the national team's van with her husband and just a general bad vibe I get from listening to her and I wouldn't mind if she never played again.
taco.vidal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:45 AM   #23
habernac
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
I think Hope Solo catches a lot of #### because she's a woman and she doesn't act very lady-like.

The reality is she's not as good as she used to be and it's probably time to move on and they finally got sick of her ####, but fans generally really have a hate on for her and I don't know why. She's one of the best female keeper's of all time (if not the best).
Nothing to do with sexism, people don't like her because she acts like a boorish #######. The poor sportsmanship after the Sweden match were the icing on the cake.
habernac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 07:09 AM   #24
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

I will side with Solo slightly here because the media neglects that the feud was with former coach Pia Sundheim. Sundheim has thrown Solo and other US players under the bus before.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/06/pia-...-piece-of-work

So when it was Pia's team that knocked out he US in the Olympic Quarterfinal. I think it's natural for Solo to call Pia a coward.

For US soccer it's all for image. US Women's Soccer has to be perfect to get attention, Olympic Golds and World Cup Golds. Anything less is failure.
To not medal and have Solo comments all over the media, US Soccer is scared.

So it's an easy bandaid solution to slowly phase her out.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2016, 08:17 AM   #25
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Charges were dropped.

He also pulled a gun on her during the altercation to get her to stop. I mean, I feel like everyone was kind of at fault here.

Quote:
He also allegedly tried to walk away, but Solo called him a name that usually means less than manly, because he called for his mother.

That's when the unnamed nephew decided to escalate things.

"I then went into a back room and got an old gun that does not work, pointed it at her and she kept coming at me. She didn't leave but walked around me, cornering me like a shark," he told TMZ.

I mean wtf? Someone calls you a ##### so you get a gun....

The other thing was that her husband was driving drunk? How is that her fault, is he not an autonomous person?
Old 08-31-2016, 08:27 AM   #26
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by taco.vidal View Post
Charges were dropped.
Nope. The case was dismissed on procedural grounds, but the charges were re-instated on appeal. Solo has subsequently failed to have them dismissed a second time.

http://komonews.com/news/local/socce...trial-canceled
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resolute 14 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2016, 10:23 AM   #27
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Mrs Solo, vivid video is on line two, they want to film you having sex with a guy dressed as Chewbacca

Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
CaptainCrunch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CaptainCrunch For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2016, 10:40 AM   #28
Cecil Terwilliger
That Crazy Guy at the Bus Stop

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainCrunch View Post
Mrs Solo, vivid video is on line two, they want to film you having sex with a guy dressed as Chewbacca
Cecil Terwilliger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:48 AM   #29
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay View Post
The other thing was that her husband was driving drunk? How is that her fault, is he not an autonomous person?
They were both drunk, they were driving in a national team van during a national team camp.

Really, really stupid on both of their parts.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2016, 12:58 PM   #30
Bill Bumface
My face is a bum!

Exp:

I don't think it's much of a reach to figure that if this is all of the stuff that comes out publicly, I don't imagine day to day dealings with her are much of a treat.

I think Hope Solo is just a bad human and not only did they get weary of dealing with her crap, her on-field play no longer deems that a necessity.

People have been cut from teams for being dbags before, and it will happen again.
Bill Bumface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 02:45 PM   #31
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Just like in any profession, if you can perform at your job, the organization will let a lot of things you do off the clock slide.

But if you can no longer do your job, then you will be picked on with the most minute thing....
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 04:49 PM   #32
old-fart
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlySports View Post
I will side with Solo slightly here because the media neglects that the feud was with former coach Pia Sundheim. Sundheim has thrown Solo and other US players under the bus before.
http://ftw.usatoday.com/2015/06/pia-...-piece-of-work

So when it was Pia's team that knocked out he US in the Olympic Quarterfinal. I think it's natural for Solo to call Pia a coward.

For US soccer it's all for image. US Women's Soccer has to be perfect to get attention, Olympic Golds and World Cup Golds. Anything less is failure.
To not medal and have Solo comments all over the media, US Soccer is scared.

So it's an easy bandaid solution to slowly phase her out.
What the Swede coach should have responded with was "maybe Hope should have made a save then...".

She's a horrible human being that was allowed to slide through life because she was good at something that a very small subset of the American people cared enough about to allow her to slide. She's not that good anymore, yet she's still a horrible human being so out the door she goes, and no one (besides Hope Solo) will cry and miss her. Good riddance to bad rubbish.
old-fart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to old-fart For This Useful Post:
Old 08-31-2016, 05:10 PM   #33
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

she assaulted a minor! if anything she got a pass because she is a women

Any man beats the #### out of a minor and they are at the very least suspended
dino7c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 01:52 AM   #34
HarryH93
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The whole "she's being picked on because she's a woman" argument (even though she has a history of domestic violence and engaged in unprofessional behavior while at USWNT camp) is bull####. Just ask Ray Rice or Slava Voynov how they feel about a woman being dismissed from her profession for domestic violence. Of course, we will never know if that's really why she had her contrwct terminated, but I think it's safe to say that she was walking a fine line before the comments were made.
Old 03-11-2017, 09:17 PM   #35
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

BUMP

Anyone see her segment on 60 Minutes Sports on HBO?

My god what an entitled, obnoxious, scumbag POS she is.

Honestly seemed like they were trying to be as flattering as possible but the total piece of #### that she is just couldn't help but shine through.

Found a YouTube video if anyone is interested. Not sure if it'll last.

Last edited by Cecil Terwilliger; 03-11-2017 at 09:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cecil Terwilliger For This Useful Post:
Old 03-11-2017, 09:59 PM   #36
Machiavelli
Franchise Player

Exp:

Thanks for the link. I don't think she came across poorly at all.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:38 PM   #37
Cecil Terwilliger

Exp:

She came across as dodging responsibility for anything that's happened. Totally unapologetic for her behaviour. Everything was someone else's fault. Complete lack of humility. It was her coach's fault, her families fault, it was a sexist conspiracy not her poor attitude that got her kicked off the national team etc.

And iirc she's eligible for reinstatement soon. You'd think she'd want to make a good impression, not just bad mouth the people who can help restore her image.
Old 03-11-2017, 10:41 PM   #38
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil Terwilliger View Post
She came across as dodging responsibility for anything that's happened. Totally unapologetic for her behaviour. Everything was someone else's fault. Complete lack of humility. It was her coach's fault, her families fault, it was a sexist conspiracy not her poor attitude that got her kicked off the national team etc.

And iirc she's eligible for reinstatement soon. You'd think she'd want to make a good impression, not just bad mouth the people who can help restore her image.
Her massive ego won't let her admit that maybe her comments were too harsh. She comes across as a "know it all" who thinks she knows better than her coaches, family etc.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #39
Cowboy89
Franchise Player

Exp:

Her tone of voice in that interview was very annoying. She sounded like Jessica Lovejoy on the Simpsons.
Cowboy89 is offline   Reply With Quote