Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 07-12-2016, 11:59 AM   #1
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:
Default The Official 16/17 UEFA Champion's League and International Club News Thread

Time for a new thread?

I really enjoy the early parts of Europa and CL qualification. You get introduced to teams that you never hear from

Today Celtic play Lincoln Red Imps. Red Imps are the champions (for the 14th straight year) of the Gibraltar Premier Division, founded in 1976, and the 5000 seat stadium is on Winston Churchill Avenue. Going down the Gibraltar football wikipedia rabbit hole you find teams like F.C. Magpies (A.K.A Bruno's Magpies) and F.C. Hound Dogs.

Bruno's are the first club in Gibraltar to have a matchday programme and serve Beers and Burgers

Hound Dog Badge

There is also a team called Manchester 62 (which was previously called Manchester United)

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GirlySports For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2016, 12:00 PM   #2
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Did Manchester United get relegated? Finally!

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:04 PM   #3
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

And the Red Imps are up 1-0!
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2016, 01:20 PM   #4
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

LOL

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footba...ln-red-8407246

Old 07-12-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Red Imps win lol. Holy crap it's amazing to think Brendan Rogers was 1 game from being a champion PL manager and now he's here...
Old 07-13-2016, 12:10 AM   #6
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

A few hilarious facts I've found when google searching the Red Imps:

-The goal scorer is a policeman
-Another player was driving a taxi hours before the game
-The coach got the job by winning a contest
-Their average crowd is 42
-They cannot practise on Tuesdays because their field is used by a metal detecting club
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to FireGilbert For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2016, 11:12 AM   #7
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

The Northern Ireland champions are these guys

They are up against Copenhagen.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:15 AM   #8
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

Borussia Dortmund continue their crazy squad overhaul by bringing Mario Götze back from Bayern Munich. So far:

out: Mats Hummels, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Ilkay Gündogan, Neven Subotic
in: Mario Götze, Ousmane Dembele, Raphael Guerreiro, Sebastian Rode, Marc Bartra, Emre Mor, Mikel Merino

Plus they are close to buying Andre Schürrle for some reason ... and they are still negotiating with Leverkusen for Ömer Toprak.
devo22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
Borussia Dortmund continue their crazy squad overhaul by bringing Mario Götze back from Bayern Munich. So far:

out: Mats Hummels, Henrikh Mkhitaryan, Ilkay Gündogan, Neven Subotic
in: Mario Götze, Ousmane Dembele, Raphael Guerreiro, Sebastian Rode, Marc Bartra, Emre Mor, Mikel Merino

Plus they are close to buying Andre Schürrle for some reason ... and they are still negotiating with Leverkusen for Ömer Toprak.
Damn...they are going to be a force to be reckoned with next season if they land Schurrle. Those are all really good signings but they still need goals and they likely arent going to come from Gotze.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Old 07-15-2016, 12:43 PM   #10
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

a lot to integrate though, could see a small step back next year than a big push after
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 01:39 PM   #11
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
a lot to integrate though, could see a small step back next year than a big push after
I could see that too, but a consolidation of power in the German league might make it easier for them, its the CL where they might stumble.

Old 07-15-2016, 02:00 PM   #12
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

I love most of their signings, but Schürrle is a big head scratcher. He has to be the most overrated player over the last few years ... clubs pay huge fees and he always disappoints, yet the next club pays even more money. Apparently he's going to cost Dortmund close to €35m, which is absolutely ridiculous.

Also I wouldn't expect too much of them next season. That's just a lot of turnover ... they've lost 3 of their best players and have brought in a lot of very young and raw players. Top 4 is pretty much a guarantee in Germany, but I wouldn't bet on them being the runner-up.
Old 07-15-2016, 11:44 PM   #13
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
I could see that too, but a consolidation of power in the German league might make it easier for them, its the CL where they might stumble.
oh ya I mean like to 2nd or 3rd, maybe struggle in group stages

but it seems they are building now to compete with the next generation of Bayern and maybe push for the title starting in 2018, smart strategy
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:29 AM   #14
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bad news on Demba Ba.

Quote:
Shanghai Shenhua coach Gregorio Manzano is concerned Demba Ba may not recover from the horrific leg break he suffered against Shanghai SIPG FC on Sunday.
http://www.espnfc.us/chinese-super-l...wing-leg-break

Old 07-20-2016, 02:07 PM   #15
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

poor Red Imps

Old 07-20-2016, 04:38 PM   #16
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Germany international striker Mario Gomez is leaving Turkish club Besiktas due to the political instability the country is experiencing.

"It was a difficult decision that I had to think about a lot. I have to tell you Besiktas fans personally that it is very heavy for me that I will not be playing for this great club in front of you wonderful fans in this unique stadium anymore," Gomez stated, before citing the instability in the country.
http://www.espnfc.us/turkish-super-l...al-instability

Mario makes the political call.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:39 PM   #17
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

great call. Plus he's too good for the Turkish league anyway, I'm sure he'd be a fantastic signing for a midtable club in Germany or even England. Only 31, he surely has plenty of miles left in the tank. Too bad that Stuttgart got relegated, I'd have loved him back there.
The Following User Says Thank You to devo22 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2016, 04:43 PM   #18
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo22 View Post
great call. Plus he's too good for the Turkish league anyway, I'm sure he'd be a fantastic signing for a midtable club in Germany or even England. Only 31, he surely has plenty of miles left in the tank. Too bad that Stuttgart got relegated, I'd have loved him back there.
Well...Borussia and Bayern need goals....

But you're right, a mid-table club is more at his level these days.

Maybe Liverpool.

Old 07-20-2016, 04:53 PM   #19
devo22
Franchise Player

Exp:

please no, watching him at Bayern was painful enough

I actually think Wolfsburg would be a great fit for him, they need firepower. Bas Dost has been unhappy there for a while and they've already canned Bendtner (surprise surprise) ... unless they somehow keep Dost, that only leaves them with Real loanee Borja Majoral up front. Wages surely wouldn't be a problem either.
Old 07-20-2016, 05:18 PM   #20
M*A*S*H 4077
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bayern beat City 1-0 in Pep's return to the Allianz today. I love that his return match happened in a meaningless exhibition rather than a CL match.

I've also changed my tune on his time at Bayern. He made them the most dominant team in Bundesliga history and took them to the CL semi finals. That's pretty a pretty successful reign at any club
M*A*S*H 4077 is offline   Reply With Quote