Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2016, 12:50 PM   #621
atb
First Line Centre

Exp:

When would Darryl Sutter's contract expire? July 1st? I assume asking the Kings permission to talk to Sutter before the contract expires wouldn't be taken well by the Kings?
atb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:51 PM   #622
socalwingfan
Retired

Exp:

Renaud Lavoie was mentioning today that the talk around the league is that Sutter coming home makes ton of sense. He stressed that he had no inside knowledge but he feels like it makes a lot of sense for Daryl to come home and finish the job
socalwingfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:56 PM   #623
btimbit
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainYooh View Post
Where do rumours of Darryl Sutter being available originate? I have not heard any of the TV analysts raising this as a possibility. Regardless of Darryl potentially being very uncomfortable coming back to coach in Calgary due to his termination, was there any serious mentioning of him leaving LA and becoming available that I had missed?

P.S. For the record, I'd love for him to coach Flames again. I just don't think it has any chance of happening.
It's just rumours. I really hope they're true, but the other rumour is he loves LA but just wants to see how the Kings handle the draft and free agency before making his decision. But with the Kings refusing to let other teams talk to Stevens, that tells me they too think there's a chance Daryl might not be back

Last edited by btimbit; 05-12-2016 at 12:58 PM.
btimbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 12:57 PM   #624
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Ruh oh:

Quote:
He did not sound like a man who was contemplating other NHL options or even planning to raise cattle full time.

Kings Coach Darryl Sutter was direct about his future with the organization in an interview Thursday morning with The Times. The Kings have made a contract offer to their two-time Stanley Cup winning coach, and Sutter indicated his intention was to be behind the bench in Los Angeles this fall.
Quote:
“I’m under contract until July 1,” Sutter said. “I have no desire to go anywhere else or do any of that. We’ll get it worked out. That’s my plan.”

http://www.latimes.com/sports/kings/...512-story.html

Last edited by GoJetsGo; 05-12-2016 at 01:01 PM.
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to GoJetsGo For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 01:13 PM   #625
CaptainYooh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Quote:
Sutter said. “I have no desire to go anywhere else or do any of that. We’ll get it worked out. That’s my plan.”
That's what I thought. I was just surprised to see 141 votes from people thinking that Sutter would be a good choice for Calgary. Yeah, so would Babcock. But he is not available. Plus, there's that Chris factor. Darryl's son loves being in LA and the whole team really made him feel a very special part of it. Sutter said it himself several times how much fun Chris is having over there. So, it's not an option.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:16 PM   #626
getbak
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
If he can't get a head coaching job right now how will taking a year off make him more attractive? Really odd decision that would be.
I assume that, "taking a year off" is more like, "making sure I'm available when a coach gets fired during the season".

Midseason coaching hirings are usually only either an internal promotion of an NHL assistant or the team's own AHL head coach; or an external hiring of a guy who is currently unemployed.

If he takes an NHL assistants position or an AHL job, he's pretty much committing himself to one franchise for the whole season. If he starts the season unemployed, he'll be available to take any offer once someone gets fired midseason.
Old 05-12-2016, 01:44 PM   #627
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duhatschek is pretty plugged in to the Kings organization and he says he really doubts Sutter comes back to Calgary. Sutter and his family love southern California too much.
CliffFletcher is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to CliffFletcher For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 01:51 PM   #628
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
Duhatschek is pretty plugged in to the Kings organization and he says he really doubts Sutter comes back to Calgary. Sutter and his family love southern California too much.
My weirdest LA celebrity sighting was Darryl Sutter sauntering down Manhattan Beach in his Wrangler jeans. I only saw him for a second or two, but the man did look pretty content in that moment.
Table 5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #629
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CliffFletcher View Post
I believe it but the thought that a small town Alberta rancher like Darryl Sutter would become so fond of LA of all places isn't something I would have predicted.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:43 PM   #630
MissTeeks
Franchise Player

Exp:

lisa dillman
lisa dillman – ‏@reallisa

Another Darryl Sutter update. Hearing he has agreed to terms with the Kings

Pain heals. Chicks dig scars. Glory... lasts forever.
MissTeeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 02:45 PM   #631
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

Wonder if the Kings will let teams talk to John Stevens now.
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #632
JohnnyT
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
You have think that he wants to opportunity to be a head coach again sooner rather than later, just turned 50 May 4th.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:15 PM   #633
tkflames
First Line Centre

Exp:

I really hope Carlyle DOES end up being our coach here.

Since 06' I have thought of him and Barry Trotz as the two top coaches in the league.

From my recollection of the Anaheim series in 06', he pushed a lower seeded Anaheim past us and quite handily outcoached Sutter that year. For those that remember the summer after that series, Sutter was pushed to the pressbox as a result.

I also believe he should get a lot more credit than he does for what he did with Getzlaf and Perry. Getzlaf has matured into a completely different player than when he played for the Hitmen.

Obviously his last assignment with Toronto is what sticks in everyones mind the most, but even there he took a bad Toronto team to the playoffs and depsite how things ended there has done better with that team over the last decade than any other coach.

Of course the younger newer less experienced NHL coaches are always the sexier pick (especially when they have had some success outside of the league), because they obviously don't have the tarnish that is left on an experienced NHL coach. However, it takes coaches 2-3 jobs to get it properly figured out (Hitchcock, Sutter, Quenville). Even Babcock spent several years in the pressure cooker that is/was the Red Wings development system under Scotty Bowman. We definitely don't want this to be a "learning experience" for a coach as we enter our prime years.
Old 05-12-2016, 03:23 PM   #634
Ashasx
Franchise Player

Exp:

Carlyle's success in this league came almost 10 years ago. The game has changed a lot since then, and Carlyle has failed to adapt his system. You saw it during his final years in Anaheim, you saw it in Toronto.

Add in the fact that he's extremely disliked by his players, and it just makes no sense for him to come to Calgary.
Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ashasx For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 03:24 PM   #635
Toonage
Taking a while to get to 5000

Exp:

At this point I'll just hope for someone I've never heard of or am completely unfamiliar with to get that slate as clean as possible.
Toonage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:27 PM   #636
TheScorpion
First round-bust

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post

Since 06' I have thought of him and Barry Trotz as the two top coaches in the league.
You what!?

Also, holy post formatting, Batman. What's with all of the Verdana font tags?

TheScorpion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:29 PM   #637
Angelino
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheScorpion View Post
You what!?

Also, holy post formatting, Batman. What's with all of the Verdana font tags?
He might be a closet Oilers fan wishing for Calgary's downfall. Not sure...

Carlyle may not qualify as top two coach in the KHL if he went there.

Angelino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:30 PM   #638
Cleveland Steam Whistle
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkflames View Post

From my recollection of the Anaheim series in 06', he pushed a lower seeded Anaheim past us and quite handily outcoached Sutter that year. For those that remember the summer after that series, Sutter was pushed to the pressbox as a result.

I also believe he should get a lot more credit than he does for what he did with Getzlaf and Perry. Getzlaf has matured into a completely different player than when he played for the Hitmen.

Obviously his last assignment with Toronto is what sticks in everyones mind the most, but even there he took a bad Toronto team to the playoffs and depsite how things ended there has done better with that team over the last decade than any other coach.

Of course the younger newer less experienced NHL coaches are always the sexier pick (especially when they have had some success outside of the league), because they obviously don't have the tarnish that is left on an experienced NHL coach. However, it takes coaches 2-3 jobs to get it properly figured out (Hitchcock, Sutter, Quenville). Even Babcock spent several years in the pressure cooker that is/was the Red Wings development system under Scotty Bowman. We definitely don't want this to be a "learning experience" for a coach as we enter our prime years.
The bold part above is a very interesting perspective on what happened that offseason.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Cleveland Steam Whistle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2016, 03:44 PM   #639
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
I doubt it as apparently he's getting paid handsomely as an assistant and he's probably set to be Darryl's successor.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 03:49 PM   #640
Gaskal
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
I doubt it as apparently he's getting paid handsomely as an assistant and he's probably set to be Darryl's successor.
With Daryl rumored to have signed the offered extension, that may not be for another few seasons. And even if he's getting paid well as an assistant, you'd have to think that a open head coaching position, one of few available, has to be quite alluring.