Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #2861
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Strong play here:

Quote:
Trudeau also promised to eliminate all fees associated with Access to Information requests apart from the initial $5 application fee, and vowed to make the Prime Minister’s Office and ministers’ office subject to the law. Currently, they are exempt.

He also vowed to give the information commissioner power to issue binding orders for disclosure.
Old 10-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #2862
killer_carlson
Franchise Player

Exp:

aren't we already at 8 years?

It's the US that is dropping, and Australia which is rising (from 5 to 8)

Or did I read that wrong?
Old 10-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #2863
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Here's the thing, I've actually researched the anti-vaccine crowd for school projects, papers, etc., and there really isn't a discernible political leaning associated with them. On the right, you have people who object to them for religious reasons, because they fear the government, or think they cause autism. On the left, you have people who object to them because vaccines "aren't natural," or because they fear "Big Pharma," or because they think vaccines cause autism.
Glad you caught the gist of my post. It's annoying when people take one viewpoint of one small part of an electorate and extrapolate that to the entire party base.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 10-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #2864
corporatejay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm actually more in favour of free tuition, but this might seem like a fair compromise to some people. Either way, it's at least marginally better than the current system.

http://ipolitics.ca/2015/10/05/trude...ive-questions/

Need to put a price on education, I don't agree it should be free. That being said, I think flexibility in the grant system and government student loans should be re-examined.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #2865
CorsiHockeyLeague
Franchise Player

Exp:

If we're disputing the political bent of the majority of people who are anti-vaccination, surely we can at least all agree that the majority of people who are irrationally anti-GMO are left-leaning.

Though I'm not at all sure why it matters.
"The great promise of the Internet was that more information would automatically yield better decisions. The great disappointment is that more information actually yields more possibilities to confirm what you already believed anyway." - Brian Eno
Old 10-05-2015, 01:35 PM   #2866
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorsiHockeyLeague View Post
If we're disputing the political bent of the majority of people who are anti-vaccination, surely we can at least all agree that the majority of people who are irrationally anti-GMO are left-leaning.

Though I'm not at all sure why it matters.
Yep and the climate change deniers are pretty much solely on the right, but not really relevant.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:38 PM   #2867
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporatejay;5444634[B
]Need to put a price on education, I don't agree it should be free[/B]. That being said, I think flexibility in the grant system and government student loans should be re-examined.
Personally, I think it should be free, however I understand those who believe the cost burden is too great and there are complications with type of education (doctor vs philosophy major, etc..)

However, education is already basically free. The internet has provided us with access to any information we wish to know for a very low cost, the only thing you can't get from it is a physical paper degree. We really need to start adjusting educational practices to the advent of the internet.

Philosophically, I think you can only benefit from having a largely (or possibly completely) educated workforce and that higher education should be as accessible as possible.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:43 PM   #2868
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Personally, I think it should be free, however I understand those who believe the cost burden is too great and there are complications with type of education (doctor vs philosophy major, etc..)

However, education is already basically free. The internet has provided us with access to any information we wish to know for a very low cost, the only thing you can't get from it is a physical paper degree. We really need to start adjusting educational practices to the advent of the internet.

Philosophically, I think you can only benefit from having a largely (or possibly completely) educated workforce and that higher education should be as accessible as possible.
Not to mention that even if certain degrees don't provide professional utility, there is still cultural value to them.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:52 PM   #2869
Regular_John
First Line Centre

Exp:

You know what Millennials like? Animated gifs!
http://www.liberal.ca/changematters/

It's 2015 and animated gifs of Steve Harvey & P Diddy have found their way into official party materials.
Old 10-05-2015, 01:56 PM   #2870
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is shaping up to be ok, but I'd prefer a Conservative second place finish over an NDP. Basically I just don't want the NDP to win as I'd be uncomfortable with an NDP federal and provincial government.
The Following User Says Thank You to nik- For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 01:58 PM   #2871
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Not to mention that even if certain degrees don't provide professional utility, there is still cultural value to them.
Oh I agree for sure, I just know/understand that many don't see values in those "other degrees" (IE, not engineering, finance or medicine. Everything else is obviously a frivolous waste of time!).

Maybe some way of directing your educational tax dollars towards the things you feel to be important, and anything required on top of that is covered with tuition fees.

IE. When submitting taxes you have a choice to split the percentage of your education contribution between A) Science B) Arts C)Tech Inst.

I dunno, it's most definitely a complex issue. But to me, driving the price of education down as far as possible should be a priority.

The free education/student debt relief promise was almost enough to pull me back towards NDP. I'm glad the Libs have a education plan I can agree with.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:09 PM   #2872
IliketoPuck
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattyC View Post
Oh I agree for sure, I just know/understand that many don't see values in those "other degrees" (IE, not engineering, finance or medicine. Everything else is obviously a frivolous waste of time!).
It isn't that certain degrees aren't valuable, but a lot of times it comes down to putting food on the table.

Not a lot of entry level jobs out there seeking a fine arts or history degree.

"I am actually more excited for the Oilers game tomorrow than the Flames game. I am praying for multiple jersey tosses. The Oilers are my new favourite team for all the wrong reasons. I hate them so much I love them."
Old 10-05-2015, 02:16 PM   #2873
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydorn View Post
You know what Millennials like? Animated gifs!
http://www.liberal.ca/changematters/

It's 2015 and animated gifs of Steve Harvey & P Diddy have found their way into official party materials.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-05-2015, 02:19 PM   #2874
northcrunk
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post
This is shaping up to be ok, but I'd prefer a Conservative second place finish over an NDP. Basically I just don't want the NDP to win as I'd be uncomfortable with an NDP federal and provincial government.
I would seriously consider moving out of the country.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #2875
Blaster86
UnModerator

Exp:

From a riding stand point, I'm ecstatic. Right now, it looks like our incumbent mp is getting the boot after close to 8 years of sweet #### all done for the riding. He lost out on every major shipyard contract, lost the funding for the maritime museum the previous MP had acquired and over-all just got nothing done.

THANK MR DEMKO
CPHL Ottawa Vancouver
Old 10-05-2015, 02:30 PM   #2876
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
stop
Old 10-05-2015, 02:33 PM   #2877
Table 5
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by northcrunk View Post
No worries, you'll be replaced by all the Americans who swear they'll move to Canada when Trump and/or Hillary are voted in.
The Following User Says Thank You to Table 5 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #2878
Bunk
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm a policy nerd so I read through the Liberal policy book released today. Quite good. Very comprehensive and pragmatic. I think it would help restore some of the idiotic and demagogic moves the Harper government made.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:37 PM   #2879
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IliketoPuck View Post
It isn't that certain degrees aren't valuable, but a lot of times it comes down to putting food on the table.

Not a lot of entry level jobs out there seeking a fine arts or history degree.
Not arguing that, although that also depends on what type of "entry level" job you're looking for, and what type of person you are.

I would say most people looking to get an FA degree aren't interested in "regular" entry level jobs. Museums and galleries need workers.

Sometimes those degrees are also used to parlay into different professions like teaching, law, MBAs, etc..

As far as the putting food on the table, again it's relative to the type of lifestyle they seek (not everyone feels the need for fancy cars, multiple TVs/computers, vacations etc..). Someone who struggles to put food on the table is certainly a drain on society, particularly if they have a publicly funded education, but you have to weight that against the alternatives.

- So maybe this person is a net drain, but is that made up for by the number of people who are no longer net drains because they were able to get educated and contribute their maximum to society?
- If logic says that the entry-level jobs for FA/Arts degrees are less available/lucrative, wouldn't that be more of a reason to have that education be cheaper? If they come out with $20k in student debt and can't find a job to support paying it back, we are automatically handi-capping that person.
- If it's free to get that philosophy degree and a person comes out with it and can't find a way to contribute to society (ie, a job) why not allow them avenues to change what they are doing without saddling them with further financial struggles?
- we've seen in our own little microcosm how even highly-sought degrees can struggle in certain situations (geologists and engineers here). Would it not be economical to have those people able to go back and study more/something different and maybe come out having a higher immediate impact, than having highly educated people doing labor jobs and taking them away from the people who, more or less, choose to be a part of that sector. Leaving the lowest people to sink even lower, having little no opportunity for improvement themselves.
Old 10-05-2015, 02:43 PM   #2880
nik-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I can't seem to find anything in the Liberal platform directly related to the oil industry. Can anyone point me in the right direction? I see a lot of "green energy" "climate change" stuff, but nothing relating to the industry itself.
Closed Thread