Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 09-01-2015, 03:23 PM   #41
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by polak View Post
The basic commands appear real. The dramatized GUIs and dramatic dashboard displays are fake (yellow line map going to a compromised server). Prying the chips off your motherboard and microwaving them is extra fake (drilling into your hard drive is real). A lot of the web pages and monitor screens have fake gibberish filler text if you can read it fast enough (especially the website about plant control/HVAC stuff).

Those details bug me but that's just me. If you are going to put something on screen, why not put some effort into it?

Almost every hack so far (but I am only in episode 2) has been a password guess based on social engineering but I'm a little tired of the every password is a pet, birthday, favorite artist, etc. trope of movies/television. In reality, it's much more likely those are your secret questions on a password reset form which would them be exploited first. Those are the weakest link for anyone unless you have two-step authentication.

I'm looking forward to episode 3 and more of the drama though. Glad to see Christian Slater back on his feet!

Last edited by Hack&Lube; 09-01-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Hack&Lube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:33 PM   #42
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

It does become less about hacking per se (ish, hard to explain) and more about the drama so I think you're in for a treat.
polak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:35 PM   #43
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
It does become less about hacking per se (ish, hard to explain) and more about the drama so I think you're in for a treat.
I'm not against the hacking, just some of the cheesy hacking, tropes, and cliches I am still seeing. I would like the show to be about the technical aspects as well. The drama part is a slippery slope as a lot of television quickly falls completely over to the other side (ie: House, Suits, etc.) and loses sight of the premise and turns into soap opera.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:36 PM   #44
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
The basic commands appear real. The dramatized GUIs and dramatic dashboard displays are fake (yellow line map going to a compromised server). Prying the chips off your motherboard and microwaving them is extra fake (drilling into your hard drive is real). A lot of the web pages and monitor screens have fake gibberish filler text if you can read it fast enough (especially the website about plant control/HVAC stuff).

Those details bug me but that's just me. If you are going to put something on screen, why not put some effort into it?

Almost every hack so far (but I am only in episode 2) has been a password guess based on social engineering but I'm a little tired of the every password is a pet, birthday, favorite artist, etc. trope of movies/television. In reality, it's much more likely those are your secret questions on a password reset form which would them be exploited first. Those are the weakest link for anyone unless you have two-step authentication.
Have you ever actually supported users in an IT environment? That's exactly how 90% of them make their passwords. And Elliott is actually still using a brute force program with keywords to focus on, so it's far more realistic than most other shows

I don't care if the text on screen is 100% accurate, I just care that he's actually typing real commands into a terminal and not diving into some 3D matrix land looking for a literal back door
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 03:41 PM   #45
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hack&Lube View Post
I'm not against the hacking, just some of the cheesy hacking, tropes, and cliches I am still seeing. I would like the show to be about the technical aspects as well. The drama part is a slippery slope as a lot of television quickly falls completely over to the other side (ie: House, Suits, etc.) and loses sight of the premise and turns into soap opera.
Yup. I used to be as hyped about Suits as I am about Mr. Robot but then it turned in to a soap opera and I gave up at season 4 (How many times can people at a law firm say "You bet your ass"). So far Mr. Robot is not going down that direction.
Old 09-01-2015, 03:58 PM   #46
Hack&Lube
Atomic Nerd

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
Have you ever actually supported users in an IT environment? That's exactly how 90% of them make their passwords. And Elliott is actually still using a brute force program with keywords to focus on, so it's far more realistic than most other shows

I don't care if the text on screen is 100% accurate, I just care that he's actually typing real commands into a terminal and not diving into some 3D matrix land looking for a literal back door
Corporate is different. Most people probably have Fall2015 as their password as their passwords expire every few months.

This is better than CSI Cyber at least...
Old 09-01-2015, 04:20 PM   #47
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

I eagerly await the show with realistic hackers stuck in LA traffic. It will be the best show its core demographic of 17 viewers has ever seen.

"10/10! Finally a hacking show without fake gibberish text on the screen for the 26 seconds the screen is highlighted in a 50 minute episode! Take your tropes and stick 'em!" - Hack&Lube

"I'm glad the hack failed because the last three episodes the hackers were stuck in a wifi deadzone while crawling along in a traffic snarl on the 405. 5 stars!" - Strange Brew
Finger Cookin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Finger Cookin For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2015, 10:50 PM   #48
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Weird finale. I'm not quite sure what to think of it at the moment.
Old 09-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #49
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

I'm gonna watch it tomorrow.... Now I'm intrigued.
The Following User Says Thank You to polak For This Useful Post:
Old 09-03-2015, 06:28 PM   #50
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Cookin View Post
Weird finale. I'm not quite sure what to think of it at the moment.
Agreed. I really want to like this series, but I think they are going a bit too far with the delusions and mental goofiness.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 10:05 AM   #51
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Yeah I wasn't too impressed with the finale.

Spoiler!
Old 09-04-2015, 10:06 AM   #52
fundmark19
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Yeah I wasn't too impressed with the finale.
Ya it screamed of we got renewed and didn't think we would so lets throw everything into one episode to confuse everyone so they tune in next year!

Looking back it was renewed before the season even started so this madness was planned from the start!

Last edited by fundmark19; 09-04-2015 at 01:32 PM.
fundmark19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 01:50 PM   #53
Mike F
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well, I really enjoyed the finale and am looking forward to next season.

A good interview with the series creator here.
Mike F is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike F For This Useful Post:
Old 09-06-2015, 12:58 PM   #54
Iceman57
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Watching it on Showcase, I absolutely loved the pilot episode and I'm really forward to seeing it again next Friday.
Iceman57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 09:20 AM   #55
greyshep
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceman57 View Post
Watching it on Showcase, I absolutely loved the pilot episode and I'm really forward to seeing it again next Friday.
The pilot was an awesome episode.
greyshep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 09:32 AM   #56
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Two episodes in. Definitely digging it.

Couple of things that I like:

Casting of the main character is really good. I really like this actor so far.

I like how the parts of the story that involve actual hacking and computers are believable instead of the usual handling of "hacking" by the entertainment industry which is completely brain dead. Clearly they have some advisers on the show to make the dialogue and plot believable from a hacking perspective. That's refreshing.

Really like the handling of drug use in this show. I can't really put my finger on it but they don't trivialize, romanticize or criticize drug use in the way most TV shows do. It seems generally real and handled maturely but is still a key component of the plot that drives the story. Deft touch.

What I don't like is the device of the Evil Corp. For all the realism the show has on hacking it's pretty naive and ignorant view of finance. But I'm giving that a pass because it appears that you kind of need it for the story to have weight and drama. But no institution or corporation like that actually exists. And the show opens with the most tired of tired tropes that the world is being controlled by a secretive cabal of global elites. Yawn.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:00 AM   #57
blankall
Ate 100 Treadmills

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinordi View Post
Two episodes in. Definitely digging it.

Couple of things that I like:

Casting of the main character is really good. I really like this actor so far.

I like how the parts of the story that involve actual hacking and computers are believable instead of the usual handling of "hacking" by the entertainment industry which is completely brain dead. Clearly they have some advisers on the show to make the dialogue and plot believable from a hacking perspective. That's refreshing.

Really like the handling of drug use in this show. I can't really put my finger on it but they don't trivialize, romanticize or criticize drug use in the way most TV shows do. It seems generally real and handled maturely but is still a key component of the plot that drives the story. Deft touch.

What I don't like is the device of the Evil Corp. For all the realism the show has on hacking it's pretty naive and ignorant view of finance. But I'm giving that a pass because it appears that you kind of need it for the story to have weight and drama. But no institution or corporation like that actually exists. And the show opens with the most tired of tired tropes that the world is being controlled by a secretive cabal of global elites. Yawn.
In the show's defence, it's hard to tell how much of Evil Corp is real and how much is meant to be Eliot's fantasy.

But yeah, if the company is actually meant to control all debt, food, etc... as a plot device, it's a pretty tired cliché. To accomplish mr. Robot's goal in reality, you'd have to take out hundreds of thousands of companies.

However, the company could just as easily be a company like MasterCard that has become the focus of Eliot's pamachine Everytime he sees an interact machine, he assumes Evil Corp is in control.
blankall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 10:09 AM   #58
Finger Cookin
Franchise Player

Exp:

Think of an Enron, but bigger. Maybe it acquired a MasterCard. VISA, or AMEX type company. Maybe it bought a Wells Fargo or Citigroup during the last downturn. It doesn't control all debt, it's just bigger than the biggest "too big to fail" company that really exists. It's not too much of a stretch to imagine such a company, is it?
Old 09-09-2015, 10:11 AM   #59
polak
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Obviously there are probably more redundancies in their records than this show could believably explain defeating, but if you took out all of Amex, Visa and Mastercard then I think you're pretty close to an Evil Corp equivalent. All debt might be a stretch but personal debt?

It is still a tv show guys, gotta give it some slack and use some imagination. In Mr. Robots world, a company like that exists. That's the point

Last edited by polak; 09-09-2015 at 10:15 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 03:45 PM   #60
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Obviously there are probably more redundancies in their records than this show could believably explain defeating, but if you took out all of Amex, Visa and Mastercard then I think you're pretty close to an Evil Corp equivalent. All debt might be a stretch but personal debt?

It is still a tv show guys, gotta give it some slack and use some imagination. In Mr. Robots world, a company like that exists. That's the point
I see it as a warning that if the unrestrained capitalism that we see now continues we will get a company like Evil Corp in the near future
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote