Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Back Burner: The Calgary Wranglers and Flames Prospects Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-27-2014, 12:28 PM   #21
FlamesAddiction
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree that there was probably more to the decision.

Some coaches are just more cut out to coach junior than others, and being a good coach for pros isn't necessarily transferrable to the junior level (and vice versa).

If they saw something about Ward's technique and approach that they didn't think would work in junior, then there was no point in waiting to see if the results would change. It would speak to their lack of due diligence though.
Old 11-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #22
Buff
Franchise Player

Exp:

Just heard on 960 (paraphrasing) that Ward coaches intellegent professional players and his instructions were above the heads of the junior aged players, hence why the Giants were under performing.

Probably a lot of complaints from the players and their agents that their careers were going to suffer if they kept playing for Ward. Similar thing in Lethbridge except the 'Canes just kept trading the players away instead of fixing the problem.
Buff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 02:43 PM   #23
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

So...he got a bunch of kids that instead of growing up and taking direction at an adult level cried until Ward got fired?

Is that how I'm supposed to read that?

Looking at the roster, the majority of the kids are 17/18 years old with a couple 20/21 guys. What do they expect when they finish the CHL? Coaches that baby them in the ECHL/AHL/Europe?
Drury18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2014, 03:12 PM   #24
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

The amount of times Ward talked about "the process" in interviews and to players... I can't even count that high.

Ward was/is hugely into the development of players (or "the process"), which is why he'd be okay some nights with 7-2 losses because "the process" looked good and the players did good things. Other nights, the Heat would win 4-0 and it was a bad night to him.

The WHL in theory is all about development, but it's not to management and ownership, so I would take this firing at face value. Just as they said. Their record isn't where it should be with the players they have. The Giants should be in the top portion of the Eastern division.
Pierre "Monster" McGuire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 11:48 PM   #25
Northern Lites
Draft Pick

This firing does not surprise me at all. I am sure the players were saying...."what is Wardo talking about?" Guys that age need teaching and mentoring not psychological babble.
Northern Lites is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2014, 12:22 AM   #26
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Interesting article from The Province about the firing: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/11...-on-the-rails/

Very much confirms what Buff had heard on the radio. Ward was treating this like they were professionals. It didn't go over well. It goes on to say that Ward perhaps didn't understand this age group and that Hay's method of yelling and screaming was more effective then Ward who barely raised his voice and benched guys for poor play. He treated them too much like pro's and hurt their confidence.

Quote:
It felt like Ward didn’t get junior players. Hay’s a yeller and a screamer, both at practices and games. Ward rarely raised his voice at either. What Ward did do was bench guys for a period or a two at a time, be it for a careless penalty or a lacklustre effort defensively. It’s a pro mentality.

Maybe it’s inspiration for a 25-year-old guy with kids and a guaranteed contract and not a care if you chastise him verbally. From the outside looking in, it seemed to be a confidence hit for teenagers with the Giants
There was also a quip about Ward and Management perhaps weren't a great fit because of his professionalism.

Quote:
It just didn’t fit. Ward is particular. He’s confident. He wants what he wants and he wants it now and he expects it now.

For example, Ward asked for a room set aside in the Pacific Coliseum with a podium where they could do post-game sessions with the media. He wasn’t keen on interviews just outside the dressing room. It was very much a pro-level ideal.

He never got his room.

Is it a massive deal? No. Does it say something about his relationship with team brass? You could argue that.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2014, 02:29 AM   #27
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

I liked this in the comments section discussing Tyler Benson.

Quote:
Sadly I compare Benson to Hunter Shinckaric. Good tools but cannot find a tool box big enough for his liking.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:34 PM   #28
sureLoss
Some kinda newsbreaker!

Exp:

replaced by Claude Noel

gary lawless @garylawless
Former #nhljets coach Claude Noel to be named head coach of WHL Vancouver Giants. Confirmed
sureLoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 02:36 PM   #29
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Huh
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2014, 08:18 PM   #30
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

Whew, when they were suggesting they wanted more yelling and screaming I wondered if Torts was actually going to get another coaching job.
Old 12-01-2014, 12:56 PM   #31
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
replaced by Claude Noel

Former #nhljets coach Claude Noel to be named head coach of WHL Vancouver Giants. Confirmed
Feel sorry for the media that follows that team. Noel is a different cat much like Eakins. Says a lot of head scratching stuff.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014, 01:55 PM   #32
CaramonLS
Retired

Exp:

Expecting 17-19 year olds to play mistake free hockey is just dumb. Yes, there needs to be some sort of accountability built into the system, but it clearly wasn't working the way it should in Vancouver. If Ward is talking at a 'higher level' than his audience can understand, that is on him.

Makes me curious on how he specifically dealt with foreign players and if there were additional issues with language barriers.
CaramonLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2014, 01:14 PM   #33
OzSome
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by sureLoss View Post
replaced by Claude Noel

Yikes! Noel is even worse.
OzSome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 10:58 PM   #34
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
Interesting article from The Province about the firing: http://blogs.theprovince.com/2014/11...-on-the-rails/

Very much confirms what Buff had heard on the radio. Ward was treating this like they were professionals. It didn't go over well. It goes on to say that Ward perhaps didn't understand this age group and that Hay's method of yelling and screaming was more effective then Ward who barely raised his voice and benched guys for poor play. He treated them too much like pro's and hurt their confidence.

There was also a quip about Ward and Management perhaps weren't a great fit because of his professionalism.
This is exactly what I thought it was.

Ward dealing with teenagers not men had a tough time adjusting. A coach yeallimg and belittlingyou on top of the strangest time of your life. I work with youth training them on various skills like welding, machining etc. I want to get up set some times but have to remember there kids going through a difficult periods where there bodies and minds just are not developed as much as a full grown mans.
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #35
Drury18
Franchise Player

Exp:

That's the thing, Ward didn't get upset. Hay did. They deemed Hay to be a better coach because he yelled and screamed. Ward tried to treat them like adults and talk to them as such in a reasonable manner. Ward doesn't yell at all I think.
The Following User Says Thank You to Drury18 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2014, 11:15 PM   #36
combustiblefuel
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drury18 View Post
That's the thing, Ward didn't get upset. Hay did. They deemed Hay to be a better coach because he yelled and screamed. Ward tried to treat them like adults and talk to them as such in a reasonable manner. Ward doesn't yell at all I think.
Opps, re-read that post I quoted. Didn't see that it was Hays. I was blind stinking drunk( first time I drank in a month)
combustiblefuel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2014, 11:10 AM   #37
thymebalm
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

When he first got canned I thought, "that's weird". We Heat fans knew he was a good coach and an incredibly intelligent guy. You could hear his passion, you could see his commitment.

Hearing now that ownership wanted a yeller and screamer instead of a calculating coach makes me laugh that they ever hired Ward in the first place. It also makes me more confident that Ward will continue to find work. The guy just wants to develop players into professional adults. He was great at the AHL level, he'll likely have to look to find work there again if junior aged players don't understand his methods.