Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-18-2014, 12:52 AM   #101
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoJetsGo View Post
Iggy had 30 goals 31 assists for 61 points last season and was +34.

Statsney had 25 goals 35 assissts for 60 points and was +9.

It's not so much that isn't a valid opinion... its that you were high enough on Iggy when you wanted him to stay on Boston. You're allowing your but-hurt to effect your opinion here. It's just painful it's that apparent.
its a downgrade, Iggy put those numbers up in the east and he is getting older..Statsny still in his prime.

not to mention the team chemistry thing, I would bet the Avs have a worse season this year. Is ROR even signed?
Old 07-18-2014, 12:54 AM   #102
Tinordi
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Statsny is also very good at faceoffs. Never been below 50% in his career.
Tinordi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:54 AM   #103
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

I agree with most of this list, it will be difficult for any of these players to win a cup. Iginla has a better chance than any of them in the next few years though.

The Avs may have some holes on defence but they are stacked on forward and will be once again contending for the Central. Also, the Central is the best division in hockey so although it is difficult to win, the team that does end up winning becomes the Stanley Cup favourite in the final four.

My thoughts on the others are as follows. Ovechkin and Kessel will likely not win a cup with their current teams and would need to be on another team as a rental or short deal. Thornton has a slim chance at winning with the Sharks if they can somehow get over choking the playoffs or if they choke again and he is traded to a contender. Weber could win in 5-8 years if the Preds rebuild goes well or he may one day be traded and put a contending team over the top. Finally Luongo could win a cup if the Florida rebuild goes well but would need to play out his entire contract.
FireGilbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 12:58 AM   #104
dino7c
Franchise Player

Exp:

people keep bringing up the Rangers...they were actually nowhere near winning the cup. Would have lost in the 1st round in the west against all but maybe the wildcard teams.

Avs could win, I just can't see them coming out of the west anytime soon...team is pretty much capped out with no D

ROR signed?
Old 07-18-2014, 01:45 AM   #105
GoJetsGo
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post

ROR signed?
Not yet.

How many games do you think he's going to miss in July and August as a result of that?
GoJetsGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:57 AM   #106
calgarywinning
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think it's a particularily nasty thing to single out an individual or the other players picked out to say what they will never do. You know the author isn't going to get what he's singling them out for, and it makes me wonder why I follow these guys. I wonder because I cheer for Jarome.

It's part of my loyalty complex. Most people appreciate it.
calgarywinning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 01:58 AM   #107
doctajones428
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by dino7c View Post
people keep bringing up the Rangers...they were actually nowhere near winning the cup. Would have lost in the 1st round in the west against all but maybe the wildcard teams.

Avs could win, I just can't see them coming out of the west anytime soon...team is pretty much capped out with no D

ROR signed?
Well the Rangers aren't in the west so that "point" is completely irrelevant. They were 3 wins from the Cup. They came close.

Also Iginla has proved he doesn't need to be in the East to put up 30+ goals
doctajones428 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:21 AM   #108
FlameZilla
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Stastny out and Iginla in. Seems like a down grade to me.

Tanguay and Briere have gone well past their best before dates and if you are counting on both for offensive production you will be dissapointed.

Add in Brad stuart on the blueline and you have a decidely much older club.
Seems like a downgrade, but it isn't.

Mackinnon is another year older. If he doesn't suffer from a significant sophomore slump I would expect 35 goals, 75 points from him in his 19-y-o season. Speed to burn. He replaces Stastny at C full time now.

Duchene, if he stays healthy, is good for at least 75 points. Blazing speed.

You put either of those guys between Tanguay and Iggy and you have a deadly scoring line, regardless of how old the wingers are. Factor in O'Reilly and Briere and I believe the Avs have a solid top 9 forwards.

The older guys have the experience and wisdom. The younger guys bring dynamic skill and tenacity. I think they'll be really fun to watch this season.
FlameZilla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to FlameZilla For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2014, 08:27 AM   #109
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dion View Post
Stastny out and Iginla in. Seems like a down grade to me.

Tanguay and Briere have gone well past their best before dates and if you are counting on both for offensive production you will be dissapointed.

Add in Brad stuart on the blueline and you have a decidely much older club.
Older does not equal worse. Especially when your best players are all under 25. If there was anything wrong with Colorado, it was lacking in experience outside of their coaching/management structure. Adding some guys that have deep playoff runs and Cups under their belts is a positive.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:38 AM   #110
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I think bringing in some vets was a smart move by the Avs. Sure, Briere is passed his prime, and Iggy will have to keep up with footspeed, but even losing Statsny I think the Avs are loaded enough with young studs and will go on a run in the next couple seasons with a good balance of youth and experience.
Stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:40 AM   #111
Weitz
Franchise Player

Exp:

I didn't read the whole thread but lets not forget its essentially a forgone conclusion the ROR is leaving the Avs when his contract (either 1 or 2 years) from the arbitrator is done.
Weitz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 08:43 AM   #112
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

I don't agree with those saying Iggy should have stayed with Boston at a discount, regardless of the fit, contender or not. I see Boston going stale pretty soon. I honestly think Iggy has as much of a chance to win a cup with Colorado as he would have with Boston.
The Following User Says Thank You to Stanley For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2014, 08:44 AM   #113
Stanley
First Line Centre

Exp:

...and it's nice to see Jarome playing in the West again!
Old 07-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #114
Coach
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanley View Post
I don't agree with those saying Iggy should have stayed with Boston at a discount, regardless of the fit, contender or not. I see Boston going stale pretty soon. I honestly think Iggy has as much of a chance to win a cup with Colorado as he would have with Boston.
I think the problem is just the uncertainty in the West. We saw that in the East with the Rangers coming through, but the West is kind of the opposite where instead of a couple contenders and poo-mix of so-so's, they have 6 or 7 teams that can legitimately make moves for Cup runs. So your chances are reduced just because there are more very good teams in the West than the East.
Old 07-18-2014, 08:50 AM   #115
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

The rest of the article is even worse. Naming star players under 30 that will definitely never win the Cup. Get real -- this is the hockey equivalent of tabloid rag crap.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OutOfTheCube For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2014, 09:20 AM   #116
ricardodw
Franchise Player

Exp:

Duchene, Matt » $6,000,000
Varlamov, Semyon » $5,900,000
Landeskog, G. » $5,571,429
Iginla, Jarome » $5,333,333
O'Reilly, Ryan » 5,000,000
Briere, Daniel » $4,000,000
Johnson, Erik » $3,750,000
Stuart, Brad » $3,600,000
Tanguay, Alex » $3,500,000
Hejda, Jan » $3,250,000
McGinn, Jamie » $2,950,000
Barrie, Tyson » 2,500,000
Wilson, Ryan » $2,250,000

Mitchell, John » $1,800,000
Talbot, Maxime » $1,750,000
Berra, Reto » $1,450,000
McLeod, Cody » $1,150,000
Bordeleau, P. » $1,000,000
MacKinnon, Nathan » $925,000
Winchester, Jesse » $900,000
Elliott, Stefan » $850,500
Guenin, Nate » $800,000
Redmond, Zach » $750,000
Cliche, M. » $700,000
Noreau, Maxim » $625,000
Holden, Nick » $600,000

Cap 69M Colorado's guys over 2M 13 players total 53.5M ( ROR and Barrie estimated)

Who making under 2M (other than MacKinnon) will be top 6 top 4?? Who will vastly out-perform their salary? Very similar to the Flames out in the first round teams with MacKinnon in the Phanuef role.

Last year LA had

Muzzin 1M
Martinez 1.1M
Toffoli 700K
Pearson 700K
Nolan 700K

All these guys are back with LA at the same salary

Rangers

Zuccarllo 1.1M
Krieder 700K
Pouliot 1.3M
John Moore 840k

Hawks

Shaw 577K
Saad 764K
Bollig 577K
Smith 562K
Handzus 1M
Kruger 1.3M

It is pretty easy putting together a top 10-12 players paying them a lot. However that just gets you into the playoffs..... you need to have the support players out perform the other teams support players..... If you are going to win the SC they have to outplay them by a lot.

Boston has a better chance because of the good contracts of Hamilton, Bartkowski, Sodenberg and Paille.

Pittsburg will not go far because all they have on good cheap contracts is Beau Bennett and Maatta.

Edmonton players under 1.5M

Joensuu, Jesse » $950,000
Yakupov, Nail » $925,000
Gazdic, Luke » $800,000
Arcobello, Mark » $600,000
Lander, Anton » 600,000

Aulie, Keith » $800,000
Marincin, Martin $730,000

anyone else see a problem?

Last edited by ricardodw; 07-18-2014 at 09:27 AM.
ricardodw is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ricardodw For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2014, 11:08 AM   #117
FAN
First Line Centre

Exp:

It is hard to predict. I don't think Ovechkin or Luongo will win the Cup. That's mainly because I don't see Ovechkin staying here long enough to be willing to play a support role and I don't see him as capable of leading his team to the Cup. With Luongo's contract, he is unlikely to win the Cup as a backup goalie and so it would be difficult for him to backstop his team to the Cup.

I think it's hard to rule out Iginla, Thornton, and Kessel. Colorado does have a talented group of players and it's possible that the team does gel and become contenders. If Brett Hull can win the Cup, why not Kessel? As for Thornton, with the cap on the rise his cap hit isn't that terrible. Before his career is over, I can see Thornton being a team's 3rd line center and attempt to win the Cup.
FAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:21 AM   #118
Phanuthier
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlameZilla View Post
Seems like a downgrade, but it isn't.

Mackinnon is another year older. If he doesn't suffer from a significant sophomore slump I would expect 35 goals, 75 points from him in his 19-y-o season. Speed to burn. He replaces Stastny at C full time now.

Duchene, if he stays healthy, is good for at least 75 points. Blazing speed.

You put either of those guys between Tanguay and Iggy and you have a deadly scoring line, regardless of how old the wingers are. Factor in O'Reilly and Briere and I believe the Avs have a solid top 9 forwards.

The older guys have the experience and wisdom. The younger guys bring dynamic skill and tenacity. I think they'll be really fun to watch this season.
Does this experience and wisdom include Tanguay twice asking for a trade from Calgary, crying (literally) and pretty much mailing it in his 2nd tenure after Iginla was traded?

Daniel Briere is a 3rd liner at this point in his career....

Is the young players tenacity include the team that tanked to get a 1st overall pick?

MacKinnon does have skill and speed to burn, I'll give you that. And 3 other good young forwards. They still got a lot to prove before they are even considered contenders, let alone a favourite.
The Following User Says Thank You to Phanuthier For This Useful Post:
Old 07-18-2014, 09:56 PM   #119
Iggy Snipe
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Pengrowth Saddledome, Section 222, Row 23, Seat 14/15
Exp:

I bet someone on that list wins a cup. Its a toss up anyways. No one can predict what is going to happen.
Iggy Snipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 11:31 PM   #120
BigTuna
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

I actually think Colorado has a better outlook the next 3 years than Pittsburgh. The Pens have zero depth. Boston is the slowest team in the NHL and Chara has dropped-off badly.
BigTuna is offline   Reply With Quote