Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Other Sports: Football, Baseball, Local Hockey, Etc...
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2014, 11:20 PM   #201
Party Elephant
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum PEI View Post
Most of those are 4th or 5th generation Canadians though. But looking at the permanent resident stats it looks like the UK is by far the largest, so point conceded. Still annoying though. Much like Leaf talk.
I don't even like England and I can still probably name most of their starting 11 from every Euro or WC since 96.
Yeah I agree with what you're saying. Following soccer anywhere in the english speaking world means having England crammed down your throat, which is why I always cheer against them. I'm mostly talking about media here, as any time an english paper sneezes it makes worldwide news. Not literally of course, but their players always seem to be having scandals much more so than any other country.

Just as an example, today Sky Sport NZ posted the England starting XI on facebook, asking what fans thought of their chances. No mention of the Uruguayan squad. It's stuff like that which I've been seeing for years that irritates me.
Party Elephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:31 PM   #202
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

sportsnet connected today had analysis and showed about 15 minutes on England.
They didn't even mention the Japan-Greece score.

I used to like England and their attacking style of play. But these days, they can't put 2 passes together.

When England play Italy and the Italians are the ones attacking, there's something wrong.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #203
cam_wmh
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Party Elephant View Post
Yeah I agree with what you're saying. Following soccer anywhere in the english speaking world means having England crammed down your throat, which is why I always cheer against them. I'm mostly talking about media here, as any time an english paper sneezes it makes worldwide news. Not literally of course, but their players always seem to be having scandals much more so than any other country.
What's your second language/mother tongue? I'm going to say with confidence, that the scandals aren't exclusive to the English, it's just that language from the league that most of us understand.

Quote:
Just as an example, today Sky Sport NZ posted the England starting XI on facebook, asking what fans thought of their chances. No mention of the Uruguayan squad. It's stuff like that which I've been seeing for years that irritates me.
Shouldn't be surprising, as New Zealand (Commonwealth), has a significantly stronger connection to the UK, than they do Uruguay.
cam_wmh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cam_wmh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2014, 07:46 AM   #204
Burke Salad
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

He speaks American. Anyone hear anymore on what happened to the English fans attacked in Sao Paolo?
Burke Salad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:51 AM   #205
jofillips
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

omg leave your unfootball political opinions at the door will you? the anti-english hate is pathetic. Do you really want to bring up petty old squabbles like this cos in that case nobody here should support germany or japan!

You're suprised in an english speaking nation that perhaps english tabloid drivel gets repeated?? In no way can anbody claim that england were 'overated' this WC, did anyone even give them a chance?
jofillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 10:09 AM   #206
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jofillips View Post
omg leave your unfootball political opinions at the door will you? the anti-english hate is pathetic. Do you really want to bring up petty old squabbles like this cos in that case nobody here should support germany or japan!

You're suprised in an english speaking nation that perhaps english tabloid drivel gets repeated?? In no way can anbody claim that england were 'overated' this WC, did anyone even give them a chance?
I did. I thought this was one of England's best teams in years. Roy set them up very poorly, and their choices at CB were very poor, but theres lots of blame to go around for that.

The media always bang England's drum going into major tournaments because its always 'their year' but this time they went the opposite way and really lowered expectations.

Its really only on the players and the manager. I had England to go through and they should have.

- Costa Rica are arguably the worst team in the tournament
- Not a vintage Italian side - could have had a result
- Uruguay were shambolic through qualifying and had a barely healed Luis Suarez

There was no reason England couldnt have made it out of this group except for the same old, same old. No goals. But hey, maybe they'll rip 10 past Costa Rica and surprise us all by going through.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:02 AM   #207
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

edit: wrong thread

Last edited by chemgear; 06-20-2014 at 11:28 AM.
chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cdc , diving , paste-easting trolls , tears and writhing