Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-17-2014, 12:17 PM   #1
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Default Securing external iOS devices

Is there any way to ensure that an iPhone is secure and free of nasties? I use ESET nod32 on my PCs but am concerned that my phone could be introducing problems as there is no anti-virus/anti-malware running on it as I am pretty sure there isn't anything of that nature... Or is there?
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #2
morgin
Scoring Winger

Exp:

There aren't the sort of consumer level viruses on ios that a virus scanner app could pick up. Closed system and all.
morgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:36 PM   #3
SeeGeeWhy
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

So they're secure? And web browsing doesn't leave it vulnerable?
SeeGeeWhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #4
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

This is all assuming your iOS is reasonably up to date and/or don't have it jailbroken

The apps are not necessarily secure, as malicious apps have made it onto the store, but much more likely to be secure if all apps come from the app store and the apps have been vetted. I would trust the iOS closed system without AV more than an open system like a PC or Mac with AV.

As for web browsing, the fact that you are not a root user, the way the OS works, and the lack of 3rd party plugins means it would be very difficult for a web based exploit to do anything of real concern.

In short, don't worry about it.
Old 04-17-2014, 01:26 PM   #5
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
As for web browsing, the fact that you are not a root user, the way the OS works, and the lack of 3rd party plugins means it would be very difficult for a web based exploit to do anything of real concern.
Well, except for that one time that you could visit a website and jailbreak your device using an exploit seconds after getting your hands on the device.

But otherwise, these walled-garden approaches that Apple and MS have chosen for their devices make them significantly safer without AV compared to other open systems (PC, Mac, Android).
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 01:49 PM   #6
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Well, except for that one time that you could visit a website and jailbreak your device using an exploit seconds after getting your hands on the device.

But otherwise, these walled-garden approaches that Apple and MS have chosen for their devices make them significantly safer without AV compared to other open systems (PC, Mac, Android).
True, but that wouldn't be considered a reasonably up to date version of iOS, which is why I added that caveat.
Old 04-17-2014, 02:05 PM   #7
kermitology
It's not easy being green!

Exp:

Pretty much all App Store apps are limited to the sandbox so you'd have to be leveraging private APIs to do much in the way of malicious actions from an iOS device.
Old 04-21-2014, 11:46 PM   #8
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
True, but that wouldn't be considered a reasonably up to date version of iOS, which is why I added that caveat.
Well when that exploit was first unveiled, it was being used on brand new iPhones which would most certainly qualify as 'reasonably up to date' at the time.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote