Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > Fire on Ice: The Calgary Flames Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-15-2014, 08:04 PM   #21
VictoryJuice
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

lol these articles come out every year
VictoryJuice is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VictoryJuice For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2014, 08:10 PM   #22
PeteMoss
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by djsFlames View Post
Saskatoon still has such a small town feel to it, I just can't imagine it having an NHL team. But maybe like 7-10 years down the road that conversation changes. I'd say some place like Hamilton Ontario, even over a second Toronto team. The metro area has a population similar to Edmonton. Could work.

Maybe an east coast team..but where? Halifax?

Quebec City is the most likely at this point.

You might as well put the team in Toronto if you're going to do Hamilton. Same market...plus Buffalo would get ticked since it's closer to them.
PeteMoss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 09:27 PM   #23
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erick Estrada View Post
There's barely enough people in the entire province of Saskatchewan to support an NHL franchise let alone an individual city like Regina or Saskatoon. This isn't the CFL where the province travels to Regina once every two weeks in the summer to see a football game. NHL games need to be attended during weekdays in the middle of winter.
The NHL rejected Saskatoon in 1983 when the league managed well below $400 million in revenue. The league has completely left the province behind in the time since.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2014, 10:48 PM   #24
Jay Random
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizaro86 View Post
There would be enough corporate support from those who can't get/afford leafs tickets to make it viable.
I'm not at all sure this is the case. If some CEO buys tickets to the Toronto Shmegegges because he can't get tickets to the Leafs, what kind of message is he sending to the clients that he tries to entertain with those tickets? ‘Do business with us – we'll cheap out on you! We’re satisfied with second best, and we think you should be too!’
Old 04-16-2014, 08:56 AM   #25
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by VictoryJuice View Post
lol these articles come out every year
LOL? You mean, let me understand this … cuz I … maybe its me, maybe I’m a little ####ed up maybe. I'm funny how? I mean funny, like I’m a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I’m here to ####in’ amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to troutman For This Useful Post:
Old 04-16-2014, 09:03 AM   #26
CliffFletcher
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nik- View Post

They're Leafs fans, not hockey fans. The Marlies do okay because they're the Leafs farm team. They don't go to Junior games. They may support a new team for a bit to spite the Leafs, but it will be temporary.
I don't know about that. I talked to a Nordiques fan once about why he didn't just follow the Canadiens, and he said that when the Nordiques came it was a chance for a lot of younger Quebecers to get in on the ground level of support for a new team that would have its own history, instead of hearing their dads and grandpas go on endlessly about the glory days. They relished being the new kid on the block, the underdog.

And the Leafs don't have anywhere near the recent success that the Canadiens had back in the 80s.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:12 AM   #27
Derek Sutton
First Line Centre

Exp:

The study says "could support". Not "will get", "not they are on the radar", not "3 Canadian cities getting franchises", the study is just basically fishing. Could 3 more teams in Canada work? Yes it may but NHL has no interest in this and never will. One, maybe, two not likely, three, never. There are markets that could support three more, but the league would rather pour money into Phenoix then move them to a real hockey market.
Old 04-16-2014, 09:25 AM   #28
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
The Leafs and Sabres would never approve having an additional team in the area. It simply won't happen.
They don't have a veto anymore. Majority rules.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:21 AM   #29
DoubleF
Franchise Player

Exp:

Wasn't Quebec City and Hamilton potential candidates along side Winnipeg when the Thrashers were going to move?
DoubleF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:25 AM   #30
etc
Farm Team Player

Exp:

No more Canadian teams please, imagine the ratings if two small market Canadian teams met in the finals? Would be embarrassing.
etc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:38 AM   #31
_Q_
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by etc View Post
No more Canadian teams please, imagine the ratings if two small market Canadian teams met in the finals? Would be embarrassing.
Imagine the ratings if two small market American teams met in the finals. Nashville vs. Carolina or Phoenix vs. Columbus would draw way less fans than Edmonton vs. Hamilton or Winnipeg vs. Quebec.
_Q_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 11:50 AM   #32
etc
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Not in America, and they would at least gain new fans in those markets.
Old 04-16-2014, 11:57 AM   #33
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Who gives an ef about the ratings. If it's good hockey I'll watch. If you go through life worrying what the other guy (in this case Americans) thinks, you'll have a hard time.
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
etc
Old 04-16-2014, 12:03 PM   #34
etc
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Good advice, I just don't see how the NHL would give them teams, and personally I would just rather watch Seattle or something play, although I'd watch anyone.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:10 PM   #35
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Its not about ratings, it's about revenue.
The seven Canadian franchises rank in the top 16 according to Forbes valuation, and in the top 14 in operating income.
It makes strong business sense to expand/relocate into Canada.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:20 PM   #36
Boo Radley
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
LOL? You mean, let me understand this … cuz I … maybe its me, maybe I’m a little ####ed up maybe. I'm funny how? I mean funny, like I’m a clown? I amuse you? I make you laugh? I’m here to ####in’ amuse you? Whattya you mean funny? Funny how? How am I funny?
Just...you know, how you tell the story, what?

Max Ehrmann
Boo Radley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:22 PM   #37
etc
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by EldrickOnIce View Post
Its not about ratings, it's about revenue.
The seven Canadian franchises rank in the top 16 according to Forbes valuation, and in the top 14 in operating income.
It makes strong business sense to expand/relocate into Canada.

http://www.forbes.com/nhl-valuations/list/
And how will the other teams increase their income when they have to play teams like Hamilton? They would just get it from the Canadian franchises, but how is that healthy for the league?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:36 PM   #38
calgarygeologist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
If it boils down to ratings the whole playoff structure could be scrapped and a board/panel could put together "Bowl" games much like NCAA football. That is hugely successful.
calgarygeologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 12:43 PM   #39
Resolute 14
In the Sin Bin

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagger View Post
The Leafs and Sabres would never approve having an additional team in the area. It simply won't happen.
Rogers and Bell sharing the Leafs is not likely to succeed in the long run. Chances are that when the split happens, it will be a case of whoever divests themselves of the Leafs gets a new Toronto team without all of the indemnities and whatnot. And, really, nobody in the NHL is going to care too much about Buffalo's opinion when they see all the $'s to be mined in the GTA.
Resolute 14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 01:01 PM   #40
EldrickOnIce
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
And how will the other teams increase their income when they have to play teams like Hamilton? They would just get it from the Canadian franchises, but how is that healthy for the league?
Canadian TV revenue should increase, shared by all.

NHL Revenue sharing (although currently significantly less than other pro leagues - that will continue to grow)
EldrickOnIce is online now   Reply With Quote