Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-17-2013, 11:47 AM   #561
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubecube View Post
Awesome. I'm now getting this issue:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2133401

#### you, Samsung.
Fixed the freezing issue by flashing some 4.2.2 international firmware, which unfortunately puts me back on stock. Going to wait a couple of days just to be sure it was the firmware but I'm assuming I should be able to reflash Slim without screwing up the firmware again, right?
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 11:50 AM   #562
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

And honestly, with the amount of trouble I've had with this phone, and what else I've read, regarding the various malfunctions on the S3 and S4 (look up GS3 SDS for instance), I'd be hesitant to purchase a Samsung device anytime soon. I think you'd be much better off with the HTC One or the Nexus 5 when it's released.
Old 10-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #563
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Fixed the freezing issue by flashing some 4.2.2 international firmware, which unfortunately puts me back on stock. Going to wait a couple of days just to be sure it was the firmware but I'm assuming I should be able to reflash Slim without screwing up the firmware again, right?
What did the firmware write to? Was it just tied to a ROM?
Galakanokis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:03 PM   #564
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
What did the firmware write to? Was it just tied to a ROM?
I think it was just tied to stock, but I went through Odin. Here's the link for the instructions I followed if you're interested:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post45514016

Quote:
I strongly recommend that you flash the leaked I9300XXUFME7 and use the stock recovery to wipe.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=1835931

My freezes have gone. I applied the same to at least five GS3 units of my friends and they are still happy. You don't even need to stay with the stock rom if you don't like. Just go back to your favorite rom.

It requires ODIN. But if you can install MobileODIN (requiring root), it will do the very good job without connecting to the computer.
Quote:
Old 10-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #565
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
How much do you spend on music in a month? I find my Rdio subscription handles all of my music needs, and for $7.99/month, does so at pretty unbeatable price.
It's a good service that I've subscribed to before, but I still like owning my music and would rather not lose it if I unsubscribed to that particular service. I guess I'm still a traditionalist in that sense, I still buy music like I'm buying CD's, even though its digital. Itunes is still the best bet in Canada for that.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:36 PM   #566
WilderPegasus
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
I think you'd be much better off with the HTC One or the Nexus 5 when it's released.
I've got an HTC One and the music quality when compared to my (older) iPod Nano using the same ear buds is like night and day. I don't know if it's the whole Beats marketing thing but its a pretty damn good music player to my untrained ears.
WilderPegasus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2013, 12:47 PM   #567
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
I think it was just tied to stock, but I went through Odin. Here's the link for the instructions I followed if you're interested:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...6#post45514016
XXUFME7 is a Samsung update so it sounds like it is a bootloader update. Others have flashed ROMs over this and seem fine. Bootloaders do not get over written on ROM flashes but it does sound like you will have to gain root again.

Are you on a the I9300 and not the I747? Isn't that a European phone?
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2013, 03:36 PM   #568
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, mine is a 9300. I guess it's technically considered the "world" edition but is more common in Europe than North America. It's also unfortunately one of the models that doesn't support LTE.
Old 04-11-2014, 03:27 PM   #569
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Bumping this. So CM11 recently started giving me trouble with my streaming music services, so I thought I would switch back to SlimKat. Well I followed all of the instructions for Slim and flashed it but had some problems. It would boot up, get to the homescreen, then freeze, then restart. I tried formatting all of my partitions, made sure I was using the latest version of CWM, even tried using TWRP. No dice. So then I tried flashing Omni and AOKP and got the same problems. Switched back to stock, no issues, but I was back on 4.3 and realized how much I still hate TouchWiz. So I did another full format and flashed CM again and the phone is running fine, with the caveat that I haven't had a chance to test Rdio and Songza yet.

Any idea as to why the other 3 weren't working? Is this a kernel issue?
Old 04-11-2014, 04:16 PM   #570
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:
Bumping this. So CM11 recently started giving me trouble with my streaming music services, so I thought I would switch back to SlimKat. Well I followed all of the instructions for Slim and flashed it but had some problems. It would boot up, get to the homescreen, then freeze, then restart. I tried formatting all of my partitions, made sure I was using the latest version of CWM, even tried using TWRP. No dice. So then I tried flashing Omni and AOKP and got the same problems. Switched back to stock, no issues, but I was back on 4.3 and realized how much I still hate TouchWiz. So I did another full format and flashed CM again and the phone is running fine, with the caveat that I haven't had a chance to test Rdio and Songza yet.

Any idea as to why the other 3 weren't working? Is this a kernel issue?
Did you use Slims GAPPS or another version? I know I had issues flashing Slim and using Banks GAPPS I think. Also, CM is making a tonne of changes trying to stream line the S3 variants that has made kernel and partition compatibility a pain these days. From what I remember you had to wipe Dalvik cache right before you reboot after a flash.

Are you loading another Kernel after trying the various ROMs or sticking with whatever is built in?

I don't use the S3 much these days but I am on rooted stock running xposed for tweaks and Nova for a launcher. Works out not too badly.
Old 04-11-2014, 04:38 PM   #571
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galakanokis View Post
Did you use Slims GAPPS or another version? I know I had issues flashing Slim and using Banks GAPPS I think. Also, CM is making a tonne of changes trying to stream line the S3 variants that has made kernel and partition compatibility a pain these days. From what I remember you had to wipe Dalvik cache right before you reboot after a flash.

Are you loading another Kernel after trying the various ROMs or sticking with whatever is built in?

I don't use the S3 much these days but I am on rooted stock running xposed for tweaks and Nova for a launcher. Works out not too badly.
I used Slim's GAPPS. Just using the built-in kernels on these ROMs. I'm not advanced enough to know how to make changes at that level. I wondered about flashing Dalvik after flashing but didn't think that would make difference since I'd already formatted everything prior to flash
Old 04-11-2014, 05:00 PM   #572
Galakanokis
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

About a month ago I had issues installing nightlies, the new nightly would fail to boot or crash right after reboot. Had to wipe cache/dalvik after install. Never use to in all my flashing. CM is doing some weird partitioning these days and kernel compiling. I want to say they rebase the zram but would need to read up a little further on it. Sometimes doing a double flash of a ROM will work as well especially if there are issues with partitions. Wiping partitions wipes contents not necessarily the config of them. Although you mentioned formatting...weird, not sure. I play around tonight and see what happens.

Kernels can be flashed just like ROMs. Ktoonez is a great one and is compatible with CM (grab the right one). Users have made a bunch of easily loaded profiles to tweak the kernel for performance or battery life. It's pretty neat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Galakanokis For This Useful Post:

Tags
galaxy s iii , galaxy s3