Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What are you buying?
Xbox One 66 15.46%
PS4 189 44.26%
Changed from Xbox One to PS4 8 1.87%
Changed from PS4 to Xbox One 6 1.41%
Getting both (eventually) 30 7.03%
Waiting for more info 60 14.05%
Not getting either 68 15.93%
Voters: 427. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-27-2014, 12:59 PM   #1981
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Maybe it's just the fact that it's posted on YouTube and the compression doesn't lend itself well to seeing the difference but...

... well, I don't see the difference. Yeah, the PS4 runs at a higher (albeit more unstable) frame-rate versus the steady 30FPS of the Xbox One, but I'm looking at the quality of the scenes and you don't really get the feeling one is better than the other.
I don't think there should be a difference in resolution/texture - they should both be 1080p (youtube would compress both just a badly?) The difference should be in the frame rate.

The developers for the other multiplatform games ended up lowering the native resolution on the Xbone instead (affecting both image quality and resolution I guess).

However, there is some guy changed his hair color between the systems for some strange reason.

chemgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:07 PM   #1982
Diemenz
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhettzky View Post
Hey guys, thanks for the heads up on this deal. Managed to grab one at Okotoks Costco last Friday and it's amazing. What a smoking deal, definite must-have if you have a PS+ membership, and the remote play for the PS4 is awesome. If anyone is still looking they had a ton of them available out there. Not sure about in town though.
When I got mine there was about 10 of them left (deerfoot meadows) but that was over a week ago.

I agree that remote play is what makes this so special. Battlefield 4 is a bit hard to play remote as a soldier but as a commander is easy. Asassians creed is also one that translates exceptionally well. Hopefully they can keep on improving it so bandwidth is not an issue
Old 01-27-2014, 01:19 PM   #1983
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

I'm with TorqueDog in that I see no difference. I'm happy to be on a PS4, so I guess that means I'm "winning" at something, but I see no frame rate difference. Whenever I've read a review that cites frame rate issues, I never see it. I guess it's my handicap.
Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:33 PM   #1984
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russic View Post
I'm with TorqueDog in that I see no difference. I'm happy to be on a PS4, so I guess that means I'm "winning" at something, but I see no frame rate difference. Whenever I've read a review that cites frame rate issues, I never see it. I guess it's my handicap.
Hmmm, I am fairly sure that youtube doesn't dynamically change their frame rate to match the original source so you will never tell from viewing the video directly unless the frame rate is absolutely brutal (single digits). That's why Digital Foundry specifically adds the frame rate counter number in the corner and the historical graph so you can "see" what the frame rate is/was over time.

As an aside, here is a quick 15/30/60fps comparison (though it probably doesn't completely indicate the full effect of a fullscreen game):

http://boallen.com/fps-compare.html
Old 01-27-2014, 01:36 PM   #1985
CubicleGeek
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorqueDog View Post
Maybe it's just the fact that it's posted on YouTube and the compression doesn't lend itself well to seeing the difference but...

... well, I don't see the difference. Yeah, the PS4 runs at a higher (albeit more unstable) frame-rate versus the steady 30FPS of the Xbox One, but I'm looking at the quality of the scenes and you don't really get the feeling one is better than the other.
It doesn't help that the comparison video itself is encoded at 30fps... Very strange considering they are trying compare the difference between 50ish fps and 30fps... =/

But I'm not sure any video can do justice how perceivable the difference is between 60fps and 30fps. I remember trying to run Arkham City on Ultra with DX11 Shaders and could only maintain 30fps - I ended up turning off DX11 as the 60fps made a huge difference in how well the game runs and responds.
CubicleGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:39 PM   #1986
OutOfTheCube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Yeah, people who can't tell the difference between 60fps and 30fps remind me of those who can't tell the difference between SD and HD.

If you've played video games for any amount of time, you should be able to tell.
OutOfTheCube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 06:22 PM   #1987
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutOfTheCube View Post
Yeah, people who can't tell the difference between 60fps and 30fps remind me of those who can't tell the difference between SD and HD.

If you've played video games for any amount of time, you should be able to tell.
We all heard the horror stories of the Dead Rising 3 frame rates and I finished the game and didn't notice any framerate issues at all. Halo's always been a 30 fps shooter and I consider it one of the best FPS series of all time and Halo 4 in particular was possibly the best looking game of last generation. I think framerate matters more in a game when it's inconsistent and dropping. As long as it's locked in I would say the average (I know the tech nerds will because that stuff gives them a boner) gamer doesn't notice.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Erick Estrada For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2014, 06:23 PM   #1988
TorqueDog
Franchise Player

Exp:

^This. You'll notice when a frame-rate is volatile, for sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CubicleGeek View Post
It doesn't help that the comparison video itself is encoded at 30fps... Very strange considering they are trying compare the difference between 50ish fps and 30fps... =/
Ah. That is definitely an issue.

I was going off the "more definitive" comment as being more than just related to frame-rate. But I guess you'd need to play it to see the difference, which I haven't.

Last edited by TorqueDog; 01-27-2014 at 06:25 PM.
TorqueDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:06 PM   #1989
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Probably like anything else experienced in isolation or just ignorance. Black & White, EGA resolution, VGA resolution, SD, 720p, sub 30 fps were all more than acceptable when we all didn't know better or couldn't experience the obvious better alternative.

Even if you (travel abroad and) watch SD for a good while these days, you slowly adapt to it. Then flip to HD and experience the jarring "wow, that's a whole lot better".

It's almost like the feeling getting out of a bad relationship to a much better one.
Old 01-27-2014, 07:51 PM   #1990
Kjesse
Retired

Exp:

Why did no one in thread post the articles about Xbox One outselling the PS4 in NA the month of December? Did I find something everyone else missed? Just checking, but I ran into those articles by accident, not even looking.
Kjesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 08:23 PM   #1991
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Why did no one in thread post the articles about Xbox One outselling the PS4 in NA the month of December? Did I find something everyone else missed? Just checking, but I ran into those articles by accident, not even looking.
I saw on Neogaf (leaks and such) that it was rather close but the Xbone did indeed squeak past the PS4 during December (rumor is by about 50k on 900k total).

Microsoft was able to flood stores with stock but Sony simply was not able to keep up with demand. Even so, it sounds like it was rather close during December and the PS4 still has the cumulative lead on the Xbone in the US through to the end of 2013 (as per Sony public announcement). We'll have a better picture of things once supply can keep up with demand for them both around the world.

EDIT: Yesh, I do spend too much time on gaming sites and forums.
Old 01-27-2014, 09:04 PM   #1992
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Back to Tomb Raider DE, here is the first site that I have found that has actual PS4/Xbone direct footage (none of this youtube BS). Downloadable movies are further down the page and probably give us one of the better ways to compare at this stage.

http://www.gamersyde.com/news_we_rev...-14983_en.html

Warning though, the files are big - especially the PS4 ones with the extra frames. I'd certainly download them rather than try to stream them if you want to see the difference.

Personally, I hit up the Xbone "Enigma" file first. Not knowing better, certainly acceptable going in blind.

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_to...-31410_en.html

Then I tried the PS4, and seeing the clear difference. IMO - it isn't even close.

http://www.gamersyde.com/download_to...-31404_en.html

But to each their own. Like they say "fortunately we have a product for people who aren't able to tell the difference, it's called Xbox 360."

I'm just kidding - but kudos if you recognize the original Microsoft reference.
Old 01-28-2014, 06:58 AM   #1993
psicodude
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delgar View Post
Because it doesn't make Microsoft look bad and we won't have any of that in the thunderdome.
psicodude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #1994
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'm not sure why anyone wants to use sales numbers to show a 'winner' at this stage anyway.

Launch numbers were good to see, anything after that up until a year in is just white noise.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 07:41 AM   #1995
photon
The new goggles also do nothing.

Exp:

Old 01-28-2014, 09:20 AM   #1996
Igottago
Franchise Player

Exp:

So at what point will I be able to walk into a store and take my pick of the PS4 or Xbox One? And when do they usually get bundled with a game? Seems to be a better value move to wait until then.

"I was like Christ, lying on my back, with my arms outstretched, crucified"
-- Frank Musil - Early January 1994
Igottago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 09:55 AM   #1997
ernie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igottago View Post
So at what point will I be able to walk into a store and take my pick of the PS4 or Xbox One? And when do they usually get bundled with a game? Seems to be a better value move to wait until then.
Depends where you live.

In my neck of the woods you've been able to that since well before Christmas at Walmart and Target.
ernie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 10:19 AM   #1998
Russic
Dances with Wolves

Exp:

Quote:

Russic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 08:41 PM   #1999
chemgear
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anduril View Post
Beta invites are apparently rolling out right now. Not sure if open to Canadians.

Old 01-29-2014, 08:22 AM   #2000
Hockeyguy15
Franchise Player

Exp:

I hope I get one, I doubt I will be lucky enough though.
Hockeyguy15 is offline   Reply With Quote