Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 01-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #41
scottish_flame
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Maybe Canada should try and get a professional league before it starts going for the big prize. Although I'd love it to happen
scottish_flame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 11:03 AM   #42
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Resolute 14 View Post
Yeah, lets work on ensuring our national team isn't a complete embarrassment before we think about hosting the World Cup.

An actual Canadian league that people care about would help - obviously as a second tier to MLS. And like it or not Calgary and Edmonton are nowhere near MLS's line of sight. MLS isn't going to dilute its own marketability in the US with small-time Canadian markets nobody gives a damn about south of the 49th.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottish_flame View Post
Maybe Canada should try and get a professional league before it starts going for the big prize. Although I'd love it to happen
Okay, people have to understand part of the selection process.

1. Part of hosting a World Cup is a contractual guarantee that you either have a professional league or will establish one shortly after a World Cup. In 1994 I believe the US had the NASL, and I believe that the MLS was founded shortly thereafter.

You dont need a pro league first, but its part of the promise when you're the host.

2. Host countries dont have to be any good.

The USA wasnt good. South Africa wasnt good. Qatar is terrible. Canada is also bad.

Having a 'bad' national team doesnt come into the equation unless they're 'San Marino' bad or something.

Sometimes being bad is good for the selection process.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #43
troutman
Unfrozen Caveman Lawyer

Exp:

Alas, I will be close to 60 in 2026, and probably too old to represent my country on home turf.

Last edited by troutman; 01-24-2014 at 01:58 PM.
troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #44
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutman View Post
Alas, I will be close to 60 in 2026, and probabaly too old to represent my country on home turf.
I'll wheel you there myself.

This Post Has Been Distilled for the Eradication of Seemingly Incurable Sadness.

If you are flammable and have legs, you are never blocking a Fire Exit. - Mitch Hedberg
The Following User Says Thank You to Locke For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2014, 01:54 PM   #45
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
The amount of money being spent by Qatar on this is borderline evil. What would be required would probably bankrupt the Country.
No border about it. Qatar is pulling out all the stops. Its not even money anymore, its human lives.

Old 01-24-2014, 01:59 PM   #46
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

And we don't even know how much it took Qatar to bribe FIFA. Considering the #### storm choosing them has led to, its gotta be a pretty ridiculous amount.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:00 PM   #47
Locke
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senator Clay Davis View Post
And we don't even know how much it took Qatar to bribe FIFA. Considering the #### storm choosing them has led to, its gotta be a pretty ridiculous amount.
I guarantee we cant even imagine. I'd love to know.

Old 01-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #48
Maritime Q-Scout
Ben

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotze View Post
http://keepingscore.blogs.time.com/2...ion-on-soccer/

According to a report released this week, from Deloitte, Qatar — population 2 million, with only 225,00 or so Qatari citizens — will spend $200 billion on the 2022 World Cup. That’s $100,000 per capita, compared $350 per capita for the Sochi Games, $73 per capita for Brazil, and $54 per capita for South Africa. Qatar will spend 286 times more money per capita on the World Cup than Russia will on the most expensive Olympics ever, the Sochi games. The country will spent 1,852 times more capita to stage the same event that South Africa did in 2010.
(MORE: Farming The Desert In Qatar)

Qatar is one of the richest countries in the world, and is basically building its sports infrastructure from scratch. Still, these figures are striking, especially given the evidence that public sports spending rarely pays off long-term. “Indeed, the numbers are amusing at first,” says Shaul Gabby, an international studies professor at the University of Denver, and a Qatar expert. “But the spending is deeper in its motivation and interest. The most important value in Arab culture and tradition is honor, which brings respect and the fear of possible adversaries. This is even more important in a time of turmoil and instability in the Middle East, where the basic legitimacy of old, traditional regimes are publicly and visibly shaking.”
You think that's bad, just wait until Dubai is awarded the Olympic Winter Games.

Sadly I'm only half kidding.

"Calgary Flames is the best team in all the land" - My Brainwashed Son
Maritime Q-Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2014, 12:29 PM   #49
goodyear
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Q-Scout View Post
You think that's bad, just wait until Dubai is awarded the Olympic Winter Games.

Sadly I'm only half kidding.

I would go! That's like the Stadium Series x 1 trillion.
goodyear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2016, 06:52 AM   #50
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

So it sounds like America is probably hosting, but likely could co-host with either Mexico or Canada, or possibly both. May depend on World Cup expansion.

Quote:
North America became a stronger candidate to host an expanded World Cup in 2026 after the FIFA Council agreed on Friday that European and Asian nations should not bid again so soon after Russia hosts the 2018 World Cup and Qatar has the 2022 tournament.

"That has changed the landscape [of the 2026 contest] a little bit," said U.S. Soccer Federation president Sunil Gulati, a council member.

FIFA said Europe would be put on standby only if "none of the received bids fulfill the strict technical and financial requirements."

That's unlikely if the United States bids as expected, either alone or together with Canada and Mexico.

FIFA favours co-hosting among regional neighbours, and a three-way bid could be more popular if the tournament grows to 40 or 48 teams under president Gianni Infantino's plans.

A decision will be made on whether to expand the tournament on Jan. 9-10, when the FIFA Council next meets in Zurich.

FIFA has targeted 2020 for its member federations to choose the 2026 host.
http://www.espnfc.us/fifa-world-cup/...2026-world-cup
Old 10-15-2016, 09:24 AM   #51
d_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

if they have the choice concacaf would be stupid to not get a group hosting and more clubs at the tournament
d_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2016, 11:49 AM   #52
lazypucker
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
if they have the choice concacaf would be stupid to not get a group hosting and more clubs at the tournament
Clubs? What are you talking about?

Anyways, even with Canada possibly getting a co-hosting chance, Calgary will probably not see any games - Vancouver, Toronto, and maybe Montreal, and that's it.
lazypucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 02:13 PM   #53
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

I would imagine Toronto and Vancouver will be the Canadian cities to host games. This also is obviously potential a nightmare logistically from a travel perspective (nevermind the wall). And it's also gonna be pretty humiliating to get into a group with Burkina Faso and North Korea and still lose both games, but at least Canada will make it I suppose.

Old 04-08-2017, 03:58 PM   #54
HappyGilmore
Backup Goalie

Exp:

#calgarynext
Old 04-08-2017, 07:49 PM   #55
Thunderball
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyGilmore View Post
#calgarynext
That, or a not cheaping out/screwing around $200m + total renovation/rebuild of McMahon Stadium to be a proper ~40k seat football/soccer facility with a partial roof.

It's a pretty pathetic black mark on Calgary that we lack facilities to host any sort of event of this nature, but Regina, Edmonton and Winnipeg don't.

Further, the fact that Canada can only do a partial bid with two countries who will monopolize the tournament is pretty bush league too.
Thunderball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2017, 08:21 PM   #56
browna
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderball View Post
That, or a not cheaping out/screwing around $200m + total renovation/rebuild of McMahon Stadium to be a proper ~40k seat football/soccer facility with a partial roof.

It's a pretty pathetic black mark on Calgary that we lack facilities to host any sort of event of this nature, but Regina, Edmonton and Winnipeg don't.

Further, the fact that Canada can only do a partial bid with two countries who will monopolize the tournament is pretty bush league too.
Take what we can get. The cachet of being in the World Cup, regardless if the expanded format (assuming Canada doesn't get in before 2026 or not) and being a host gets them a bye, means a lot for corporate sponsors, never mind the chunk of the TV money that host countries get, which would fund the CSA for 5 or more years.
US and Mexico on a joint bid, as far as stadia and previous hosting situations, don't need Canada at all, truth be told, so having he acting Concacaf president being from Canada is a big reason why that's going to happen at all.

If Canada can get 20- 25% of the hundreds of millions of dollars that host countries get, and get a free pass into the tournament, the CSA and all soccer fans in this country should take that deal and run. For what it means to development programs at all levels before, and after 2026, and for the increased interest and corporate sponsorship that also grows from that naturally, whether we host 2 games or 20 and no matter how many stadiums we have..
browna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to browna For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2017, 07:42 PM   #57
Erick Estrada
Franchise Player

Exp:

For sure Edmonton, Toronto, and Vancouver. Montreal may have a new stadium if they are successful bringing the Expos back. Regina (I believe their new facility will be able to expand) and Winnipeg may be able to host as well.
Erick Estrada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2017, 08:23 PM   #58
FireGilbert
Franchise Player

Exp:

Great news and pretty much the only way to get Canada into a Word Cup. With the three previous Cups being in Asia, Europe and South America a North American World Cup is the logical choice.

Will be interesting to see how the new 48 team format works, what Canadian cities are chosen, and how many games Canada will get. I'm guessing the group games for Canada's group and one other group, 2 round of 16 and one quarterfinal.

Also, with the issues around the Women's World Cup on artificial turf, I'm guessing any Canadian stadiums picked will need to install temporary grass?
Old 04-10-2017, 08:35 AM   #59
Senator Clay Davis
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well because of how the 48 team system works, you only need one city to host a pool since there can only be one game going on at a time (and how they're going to work that out logistically will be fun). So you need probably 16 host cities, so I could see something like this for host cities for the group stage.

US
New York
Los Angeles
Santa Clara
Chicago
Orlando or Tampa or Miami
Houston
Dallas
Boston
Philadelphia
Atlanta

Mexico
Mexico City (x2)
Guadalajara
Guadalupe

Canada
Toronto
Vancouver
Old 04-10-2017, 09:14 AM   #60
GirlySports
NOT breaking news

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireGilbert View Post
Great news and pretty much the only way to get Canada into a Word Cup. With the three previous Cups being in Asia, Europe and South America a North American World Cup is the logical choice.

Will be interesting to see how the new 48 team format works, what Canadian cities are chosen, and how many games Canada will get. I'm guessing the group games for Canada's group and one other group, 2 round of 16 and one quarterfinal.

Also, with the issues around the Women's World Cup on artificial turf, I'm guessing any Canadian stadiums picked will need to install temporary grass?
Fifa will definitely foot the bill to get natural grass into their premier money-making event.

There have also been rumours of a Spain-Portugal-Morocco joint bid. That one logistically might make more sense.

GirlySports is offline   Reply With Quote