Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2013, 09:23 AM   #81
Fire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
What credit card are you using? I have an Avion and I am under the impression I get an extra year under warranty on anything I buy. You might want to verify, as I haven't checked lately.

Anyways, you will get 1 year from Sony, and possibly 1 more from your CC, so I would say no.

I did have a Toshiba die on me, but it was 4 years old and I have only seen it happen that once.

All in all, I think the odds are you will be ok. I didn't get it for my Sony I bought last year and it was about $3500.
It does look like I get one additional year of insurance from my MasterCard. Thanks for the heads up.

Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:55 PM   #82
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

Well wasn't planning on getting a new set anytime soon, but picked up a VT60 today. Man, I'm going to be disappointed when these end production. What a fantastic picture.

Got a smokin' deal on it too!
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 08:19 PM   #83
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Where did you buy it, kunk?

I'm scouring for a good black friday deal on either a ST60 or VT60, myself
BloodFetish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:04 PM   #84
DownhillGoat
Franchise Player

Exp:

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX45224

I managed to get Visions to price match. Apparently finding one in the city that isn't a floor model is a challenge.
DownhillGoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 01:02 PM   #85
Esoteric
First Line Centre

Exp:

I wish the 65 inch would drop to under $3,000.

The US has much better prices on these models :/
Esoteric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #86
J Diddy
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by kunkstyle View Post
Well wasn't planning on getting a new set anytime soon, but picked up a VT60 today. Man, I'm going to be disappointed when these end production. What a fantastic picture.

Got a smokin' deal on it too!
Jealous!!! I have last years 65" VT30 and the picture still makes my jaw drop. Checkout the Oblivion Bluray in THX mode on your plasma...the picture is amazing.

I have no idea what people see in LED TVs.
J Diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to J Diddy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2013, 09:44 AM   #87
ken0042
Playboy Mansion Poolboy

Location: Close enough to make a beer run during a TV timeout
Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
They see it is thinner; and therefore thinner must be better.
ken0042 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 10:00 PM   #88
rubecube
Franchise Player

Exp:

Grabbed an S60 today. Fantastic TV, especially for the price.
rubecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #89
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

I was patient and ended up getting a great deal on a 60" VT60 from Amazon.com. It's being shipped to the border now.

I saved perhaps $1200 over the Canadian cost, but the trade-off is the Panasonic warranty does not apply in Canada. Does anyone have an recommendations for an extended warranty for a 'Murican set being used in Canada? I'm not normally a fan of extended warranty coverage, however I would like to cover my ass in case there's any QC problems with the TV that show up in the first few months of use. TIA, CP.
Old 12-08-2013, 04:06 PM   #90
ShotDownInFlame
Draft Pick

BloodFetish, let me know if you find anything out. I've been debating picking up a 65'' VT or ZT from amazon.com and my only concern is the lack of warranty on the US model here in Canada. It would be a big pain to drive it back down to the US for any warranty issues, but the huge price disparity between US and Canadian pricing has me tempted.
ShotDownInFlame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 10:04 PM   #91
OldDutch
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

I have used this via eBay many years ago. Not sure on how it works now, but May be worth a peek:

http://www.squaretrade.com/tv-warranty
OldDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 01:26 AM   #92
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDutch View Post
I have used this via eBay many years ago. Not sure on how it works now, but May be worth a peek:

http://www.squaretrade.com/tv-warranty
I've read a lot of good things about Square Trade and looked into them. Unfortunately they only offer plans for items purchased at CompUSA, eBay US, and TigerDirect.

http://squaretrade.force.com/support...e-for-purchase
Old 12-09-2013, 12:39 PM   #93
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Diddy View Post
Jealous!!! I have last years 65" VT30 and the picture still makes my jaw drop. Checkout the Oblivion Bluray in THX mode on your plasma...the picture is amazing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken0042 View Post
They see it is thinner; and therefore thinner must be better.
I prefer the brighter, more vivid picture. I know it "sucks" compared to plasma if you want a super accurate, darker, whatever image. But that's not for me. I know I should like the plasma better but I dont.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2013, 05:32 PM   #94
BloodFetish
First Line Centre

Exp:

Okay, here's what I know on importing a Panasonic plasma TV into Canada from the US.

1 - Duty. Everything I've read indicated the televisions are manufactured in Mexico for the North American market. This should make them duty-exempt. I'll update this post if I have any duty assessed once I bring my TV across the border.

2 - Manufacturer Warranty. The TV will be without manufacturer warranty in Canada. Possibly the TV could be serviced in the US, which is okay for us Vancouver folk but not so much for you guys in Calgary. Even if I lived right across the border from a Panasonic service center I wouldn't want to rely on that.

3 - Extended Warranty options. I've been emailing Consumer Priority Service (CPS for short) regarding their international warranty. Here's our exchanges...

Spoiler!

4 - Is it worth it? A lot of this will depend on the initial purchase price. I expect my total cost to be about $2500, ($1749 TV, free shipping, $148 Washington state sales tax, $230 CPS 3-year warranty, 6% exchange rate and 12% tax at the border). You may or may not have to pay an American state tax like I did.

Every Canadian store right now is selling the same TV at $3199, so $3582 after adding BC tax. So in this case I save $1,000 AND get two more years of warranty. I'd say it's worth it, especially if CPS comes through if I ever need them.

Last edited by BloodFetish; 12-09-2013 at 05:34 PM.