Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2013, 04:59 PM   #1
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:
Default Wifi Amplifier

Suggestions please. I need to boost the signal on my wifi. My basement tenant's computer isn't picking it up, and neither does my sister's computer, when she stays in the spare room. My house is not big. I can't believe that the wifi signal is so poor.

I use Telus. I am relying on my Telus modem to provide internet to all 3 levels of the house. For some reason (likely because it's directly above), the master bedroom gets wifi. My tablet and TV have perfect signal. But just down the hall (15 feet), both bedrooms get no signal. WTF?

Tell me, CP. What do I need, and what product is the best bang for buck? I'm willing to pay more for a better product, but I'd rather pay less, if possible.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
Bean
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I'm not the best person to offer advice but maybe I can help with what I had to go through: I found a lot of success with just changing the wifi 'channel'. If you're on an android device, there is a wifi app that will scan what wifi channels are being used in the vicinity. Do a quick scan and switch to a channel that isn't in use.

Unfortunately I couldn't find an apple app that is equivalent.

Oh yeah, and I had some luck with moving the router to a more central spot - turns out I was competing with my neighbor's signal.

This thread was great in helping me: http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthr...hlight=netgear

Although the router listed in the thread is gone, this looks like a great deal at $50 http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX47705

Last edited by Bean; 12-02-2013 at 05:32 PM.
Bean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Bean For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 12-02-2013, 05:52 PM   #3
Street Pharmacist
Franchise Player

Exp:

Download the wifi analytics app for your smartphone. Figuring out which channel is best helped me out a lot. If your modem is on the same channel as another household device or neighbors wifi, it can really mess things up
Street Pharmacist is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Street Pharmacist For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 12-02-2013, 06:27 PM   #4
para transit fellow
Scoring Winger

Exp:

At work we had troubles getting wifi into an out building (ATCO unit with metal sheathing) this was our third ( and last) solution... and at $40... was the cheapest

D-Link DAP-1320 Wireless Range Extender
http://www.staples.ca/en/D-Link-DAP-...8_2-CA_1_20001
para transit fellow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to para transit fellow For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 12-02-2013, 06:34 PM   #5
-TC-
Franchise Player

Exp:

I'd go through troubleshooting the channels before I boost...boost extends range but it also boosts signal noise, which can detrimental too...

-TC- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -TC- For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2013, 03:53 PM   #6
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:

Download inssider on the computers that aren't connecting/getting low speeds to see what channel you should be on.
http://www.metageek.net/support/downloads/

Call telus and ask for a wireless extender (free, but they charge for running wire to it), (chances are there are quite a few people using telus around you, which is interfering with your signal. when i had the wireless extender installed, it picked up like 7-8 other people using telus).
And lastly check your devices to see which wireless cards they are using, (a/b/g/n/ac) and configure the actiontech as such.

that's what worked for me, (slow download speeds, normal upload speeds), i'm now getting what i pay for.
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to smoothpops For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 12-04-2013, 10:33 PM   #7
MrMastodonFarm
Lifetime Suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by para transit fellow View Post
At work we had troubles getting wifi into an out building (ATCO unit with metal sheathing) this was our third ( and last) solution... and at $40... was the cheapest

D-Link DAP-1320 Wireless Range Extender
http://www.staples.ca/en/D-Link-DAP-...8_2-CA_1_20001
Quote:
Originally Posted by -TC- View Post
I'd go through troubleshooting the channels before I boost...boost extends range but it also boosts signal noise, which can detrimental too...
I was at BestBuy last night and saw this exact model, 40 bucks what the heck ,I picked it up. Don't need it but set it up easily and it works great. I haven't noticed and slowdown in speed. I checked it in a couple places where I didn't get full bars and now I do.

Can't miss little gadget for the price.
MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 12-05-2013, 06:37 AM   #8
Brannigans Law
First Line Centre

Exp:

i used the wifi analyzer and switched my channel last night and i went from 36 megabits wireless in my bedroom to 50. pretty unreal for a simple settings change.
Well, deal with it. I wasn't cheering for Canada either way. Nothing worse than arrogant Canadian fans. They'd be lucky to finish 4th. Quote me on that. They have a bad team and that is why I won't be cheering for them.
Brannigans Law is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Brannigans Law For This Useful Post:
4X4
Old 12-05-2013, 06:52 AM   #9
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

I recently bought one of those d-link extenders and it ended up interfering with the signal. Any reason why that would be?
Fireside Chat - The #1 Flames Fan Podcast - FiresideChat.ca
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote