Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum > Tech Talk
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-02-2011, 03:38 PM   #621
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownInFlames View Post
I found this blog post on Reddit about Shaw outsourcing their call centres to India.

http://blog.actionjay.com/2011/09/tw...serv-crew.html

I don't know legitimate this is, but Shaw tried to block them so that's usually the first sign that they're telling the truth. This really bothers me. The thing I like the most about Shaw is their local customer service. I would hate to lose that. And my cousin works there so I want her to keep her job.
pretty piss poor timing for Shaw to do that right after all the layoffs they did. i'm so glad i got out when i did
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 03:46 PM   #622
Rathji
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemi-Cuda View Post
pretty piss poor timing for Shaw to do that right after all the layoffs they did. i'm so glad i got out when i did

Wasn't it mostly middle management or the occasional complete tool CSR/TSR's that were laid off?
Old 09-02-2011, 03:51 PM   #623
Hemi-Cuda
wins 10 internets

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Wasn't it mostly middle management or the occasional complete tool CSR/TSR's that were laid off?
well that and the entire Saskatoon branch. and a lot of the supervisors/managers they laid off were good people well respected by their subordinates, many of whom were encouraged to seek leadership roles by their bosses
Hemi-Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Hemi-Cuda For This Useful Post:
Old 09-02-2011, 03:54 PM   #624
Coys1882
First Line Centre

Exp:

Layoffs happen for a reason!

http://people.forbes.com/profile/pet...sonnette/71327
Coys1882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #625
GKDarts
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Bump.....would love to hear who people prefer for a tv/Internet/phone provider. I'm currently with shaw and think I pay waaaaaaaaaay too much. Approx $250 + gst for the top tv package, grandfathered phone unlimited Canada and US long distance and run of the mill Internet.

Telus tells me that they'll give me a similar setup (better pvr, slightly worse phone plan) for $209 per month, throw in a 42" LG tv, give me $100 credit if I sign for three years.

Is it worth it?

Thanks
GKDarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #626
Dion
Not a casual user

Exp:

Not a fan 3 year contracts dispite what Telus may offer. You don't have much leverage if the service goes bad and you want out.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:17 PM   #627
Yellefan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKDarts View Post
Bump.....would love to hear who people prefer for a tv/Internet/phone provider. I'm currently with shaw and think I pay waaaaaaaaaay too much. Approx $250 + gst for the top tv package, grandfathered phone unlimited Canada and US long distance and run of the mill Internet.

Telus tells me that they'll give me a similar setup (better pvr, slightly worse phone plan) for $209 per month, throw in a 42" LG tv, give me $100 credit if I sign for three years.

Is it worth it?

Thanks
I'd say don't take the TV if it means signing up for 3 years. I refused to sign a contract and as a result every 6 months I call in and mention shaw's latest deal and they always match it. The "free" TV, laptop, xbox or whatever Telus' latest offering is isn't worth having to pay significantly more once the introductory pricing runs out and I'm stuck under contract.
Yellefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:20 PM   #628
Sinny Darino
Farm Team Player

Exp:

Telus is never worth it. Especially the 3 year contract. Their customer service is absolute garbage and their internet speeds are crap. When I was with Telus the internet would ALWASYS go down. What they may not be telling you is the cost will be an introductory price, and after six months it will go up. Look at paying like $300 a month with them after they wine and dine you, only to leave you with the cheque.

I have been with Shaw for ten years now and have never had an issue. Call Shaw and see what they can do for you. I pay $150 a month for the Shaw Home Phone unltd, high speed 50, and digital cable with two extra packages.
Sinny Darino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #629
GKDarts
Scoring Winger

Exp:

To clarify, the $209 is the rate for the full 3 years.
GKDarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 10:40 PM   #630
MelBridgeman
Franchise Player

Exp:

I was on Shaw for pretty much 15 years.

Just switched to Telus

I think Telus is superior
MelBridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 11:19 PM   #631
4X4
One of the Nine

Exp:

I was just on Shaw for the last 8 months, and I hated it so much, today I got Telus back, and I'm paying $420 to pay out my contract for Shaw Gateway. Gateway f'n sucks. The hardware is absolute garbage, and the software is downright annoying.
4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:28 AM   #632
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

*Whatever I just switched to is better.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2013, 03:26 PM   #633
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regulator75 View Post
*Whatever I just switched to is better.
I have the opposite problem. Whichever one I switch to is the worse one.
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to smoothpops For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2013, 07:55 PM   #634
LIP MAN
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Literally just got ff the phone with Shaw customer support. Had an excellent experience, so much so I'm going to send their feedback a message about the CSR. I know from experience Telus can be a pain that way, but I was impressed today.
LIP MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:00 PM   #635
PsYcNeT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIP MAN View Post
Literally just got ff the phone with Shaw customer support. Had an excellent experience, so much so I'm going to send their feedback a message about the CSR. I know from experience Telus can be a pain that way, but I was impressed today.
Pretty much this. Me and everyone I've ever known to use Telus has had the world's worst customer service experience with them. Roundabout phone transfers, rude CSRs, finger pointing, etc.

A friend of mine in a rural area had Telus leave a line over-ground for 3 years after installation before they finally buried it, even though it got hit 4 times (for which they made her pay $150 to repair each time) with various equipment.

This is not even to mention that DSL gets lousier ping latency and has less uptime than cable.

Sure wish Shaw had HD Comedy Network and Teletoon however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMastodonFarm View Post
Settle down there, Temple Grandin.
PsYcNeT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 08:05 PM   #636
Regulator75
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PsYcNeT View Post
Sure wish Shaw had HD Comedy Network and Teletoon however.
Comedy has been in HD for a couple weeks now.

Channel 275.

More photos on Flickr
Regulator75 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Regulator75 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-21-2013, 10:21 AM   #637
oilyfan
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4X4 View Post
I was just on Shaw for the last 8 months, and I hated it so much, today I got Telus back, and I'm paying $420 to pay out my contract for Shaw Gateway. Gateway f'n sucks. The hardware is absolute garbage, and the software is downright annoying.
What do you think of the Telus Hardware/Software? I actually switched from Telus to Shaw becasue I got tired of the slow and buggy equipment form Telus. Only thing I miss is the ability to schedule recordings remotely.
oilyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 02:57 PM   #638
Old Yeller
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
Only thing I miss is the ability to schedule recordings remotely.
That's coming to Shaw, the functionality should be available about 6 months after the gateway is released.

Said Shaw about 2 years ago.

Regardless I still like Shaw, I like the 3 year price protection plan I'm on, and I don't have any issues with the gateway system.
Old Yeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:57 PM   #639
burnin_vernon
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilyfan View Post
What do you think of the Telus Hardware/Software? I actually switched from Telus to Shaw becasue I got tired of the slow and buggy equipment form Telus. Only thing I miss is the ability to schedule recordings remotely.

I really dislike my telus hardware. I could deal with the slowness but its new trick is too skip to the end of a recorded program when I use the "skip commercial" button. I can watch the whole program with commercials in the same time it takes to rewind to the beginning every time.
burnin_vernon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:40 PM   #640
smoothpops
Crash and Bang Winger

Exp:
icon57

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnin_vernon View Post
I really dislike my telus hardware. I could deal with the slowness but its new trick is too skip to the end of a recorded program when I use the "skip commercial" button. I can watch the whole program with commercials in the same time it takes to rewind to the beginning every time.
That keeps happening to me lately. It's driving me nuts!!! On one of my set top boxes the previous channel menu has re-appeared. Last year i found a way to get rid of that menu all together, but now its back with a vengeance.
smoothpops is offline   Reply With Quote