Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community

Go Back   Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community > Main Forums > The Off Topic Forum
Register Forum Rules FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #481
Caged Great
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by afc wimbledon View Post
I think that is called 'bolt action'!
I've never handled a gun myself, so I do not really know much about these things (actually have learned quite a bit in this thread already)
Caged Great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #482
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinAllTheWay View Post
I've never heard of any firearm that has a 3-4 rnd limit with the exeption of shotguns used in duck hunting. Other than that, the other maximum is 5 for semi auto center fire rifles. Any other action is 10 I think with the exception of rimfire.
Interestingly enough, you can own a 30 round 'banana' mag for a semi-auto .22LR.

Same caliber as was used in the Virginia Tech shootings.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 05:05 PM   #483
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rathji View Post
Of course not, but many did.

If anyone was to turn in a gun, that would reduce the numbers of assault weapons out there. I have to think that there would at least be some portion of the population that would willingly participate in some sort of buy-back program.

edit: If, as mentioned in a further post, old weapons would be grandfathered in without any sort of buy-back option, then it is quite possible that it would not significantly reduce the numbers of these weapons.
By-back programs are extremely effective, but it costs a lot of money to make any kind of serious impact.

The guns will be grand-fathered in simply because there is no way a ban/restriction on existing weapons could be enforced.

Plus, it would create a lot of other issues.
Old 01-18-2013, 05:20 PM   #484
FlameOn
Franchise Player

Exp:

Hm... it seems like a more of the NRA efforts to have armed guards at schools aren't going so well. A "gun safety expert and fire arms instructor" promptly left his guns unattended in the school washrooms shortly after being hired. If an "expert" can make these type of mistakes think of how rent a cops will treat weapons and how long it'll be before accidents happen.
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2013/01/1...dent-bathroom/
FlameOn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 08:02 PM   #485
GoinAllTheWay
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
Interestingly enough, you can own a 30 round 'banana' mag for a semi-auto .22LR.

Same caliber as was used in the Virginia Tech shootings.
No limit at all on rim fire firearms.
GoinAllTheWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 02:00 AM   #486
Thor
God of Hating Twitter

Exp:

I can't get over that Daily show segment on the NRA made bill snuck into congress to basically cut the balls off of the ATF , how that isn't being made headlines in the US is beyond me, its a perfect example of a special interest group buying a politician and enacting something that benefits them financially while harming thousands of people each year.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:45 AM   #487
Vulcan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by T@T View Post
You have a link on this? thats a crazy size if true, I think the world record was under 300lbs
No, no link. It was posted by my sister on facebook. It may be a photoshop but I was just impressed by the size. I wouldn't want to run into that while going for a walk. In any case I'm not advocating hunting cougars unless in a bar. I guess I could have posted a 500 lb. cougar in spandex to satisfy huntingwhale.

Here's a picture of a 223 Lb. cougar recently shot in Alberta so I doubt that one is anywhere near 500lbs.
Spoiler!

Here's a link discussing the first picture and a link to the 223 lb. cougar which is legit.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?p=1808219

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ghlight=cougar
Vulcan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vulcan For This Useful Post:
T@T
Old 01-19-2013, 03:52 AM   #488
KootenayFlamesFan
Commie Referee

Exp:

I've been around cougars before. So beautiful. Killing them is so stupid.

edit: with dogs. Wow, what a hunt.
KootenayFlamesFan is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to KootenayFlamesFan For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2013, 11:39 AM   #489
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Not stupid if they target your livelihood, and nobody can catch the darn thing.
Old 01-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #490
wittynickname
wittyusertitle

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thor View Post
I can't get over that Daily show segment on the NRA made bill snuck into congress to basically cut the balls off of the ATF , how that isn't being made headlines in the US is beyond me, its a perfect example of a special interest group buying a politician and enacting something that benefits them financially while harming thousands of people each year.
The NRA is stupidly powerful and has a ridiculous amount of money. They can just keep making sure to push their own agenda, regardless of how much it hurts Americans as a whole.
wittynickname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 05:05 PM   #491
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azure View Post
By-back programs are extremely effective, but it costs a lot of money to make any kind of serious impact.

The guns will be grand-fathered in simply because there is no way a ban/restriction on existing weapons could be enforced.

Plus, it would create a lot of other issues.
Buy backs are worthless, they don't get the illegal guns from those gangbangers, they get the guns from the people that were fed lies about "assault" weapons to make themselves feel safer.

I'm sure some stolen, illegal guns go there but most are LAC's turning in legal weapons
Old 01-19-2013, 05:07 PM   #492
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by valo403 View Post
Are you seriously out of your mind? The Mayor of the largest city in the country and the guy who's name is basically synonymous with the entire operation of financial systems in the country is on par with Ted Nugent? Give me a break
Yes, when the asshat makes buying a certain size soda illegal...
Old 01-19-2013, 05:14 PM   #493
PIMking
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plett25 View Post
Anyone like Alex Jones who argues that the 2nd amendment is about fighting tyranny is a fool. The 2nd amendment was about fighting tyranny.

In the 1770's American won a war against a "tyrannical" government using a rag-tag militia armed with whatever they had in the closet. In the days of Artillery, Cavalry and Infantry, a militia armed with hunting weapons could conceivably overthrow a government.

But today? What chance does an AR-15 have against a drone? Or a stealth bomber? Or a tank? Or a nuclear bomb? Or submarine launched cruise missiles? Or reconnaissance satellites?

If King George had nuclear weapons and George Washington had AR-15's, Americans would be driving on the left, playing cricket and enjoying a spot of tea.
You do realize that if they are (military) given an illegal order they have the right and should disobey that order, but since they have nukes and tanks we should just shut the hell up and let them do whatever they want right? How did that work out in Germany during the 30's-40's?

look I'm not saying there will be a civil war but what I am saying is that if the government has nothing to fear except not getting votes (especially our corrupt ass system) then they will do whatever they want. So lets say your dad was a great man, he commanded respect and would spank your backside if you did something wrong and that gave you the fear and respected him as the true authority. Now say your dad is a big puss that lets you walk all over him and doesn't do a dang thing about it, you would continue to do it because you have no fear from that man of doing anything to keep you in line.

Terrible argument and I'm sure someone will come in with some Pavlov or Freude stuff and blah blah blah this x country doesn't have guns and they don't have their government doing whatever they want to them... Crap
Old 01-19-2013, 05:20 PM   #494
DuffMan
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIMking View Post
You do realize that if they are (military) given an illegal order they have the right and should disobey that order, but since they have nukes and tanks we should just shut the hell up and let them do whatever they want right? How did that work out in Germany during the 30's-40's?
Straight out of the NRA handbook.
Old 01-19-2013, 05:50 PM   #495
Azure
Had an idea!

Exp:

Quote:
Buy backs are worthless, they don't get the illegal guns from those gangbangers, they get the guns from the people that were fed lies about "assault" weapons to make themselves feel safer.

I'm sure some stolen, illegal guns go there but most are LAC's turning in legal weapons
The point is getting firearms off the street, no matter if they are legal or not. They work for the most part.
The Following User Says Thank You to Azure For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2013, 05:58 PM   #496
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
I'm not an expert in pre-war German firearms policy, but I figure you must be.

Can you explain to us, briefly or in detail, what exactly that policy was?

The suggestion seems to be that the Nazis "grabbed" everyone's guns, and took over.

The funny thing is though that shortly after that happened (whenever that was), those disarmed Germans were pretty goddamn dangerous.

When did the transition from "take away guns" to "arm the people and train them how to shoot" take place?

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #497
RougeUnderoos
Franchise Player

Exp:

You just can't make this stuff up. This all happened today

http://abclocal.go.com/wtvd/story?se...cal&id=8960332

RALEIGH -- Law enforcement officials have confirmed a shooting at the Dixie Gun and Knife Show at the North Carolina State Fairgrounds Saturday afternoon.

Agency spokesman Brian Long says a 12-gauge shotgun discharged while its owner, 36-year-old Gary Lynn Wilson, of Wilmington, unzipped its case for a law enforcement officer to check it at a security entrance.

Three people were injured when the gun went off, officials said, including a retired Wake County Sherriff's deputy working the show.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/loc...rday-afternoon

MEDINA, Ohio - An accidental shooting at a northeast Ohio gun show has left one man with injuries in his arm and leg, according to police.
The shooting happened Saturday afternoon in Medina at the county gun show being held at the Medina County Community Center (on Medina Fair Grounds).
Medina police Chief Pat Berarducci said a gun dealer was checking out a semi-automatic handgun he had just bought when he accidentally pulled the trigger.

http://www.wishtv.com/dpp/news/local...ot-at-gun-show

INDIANAPOLIS (WISH) - A person who was loading a gun outside of the Indy 1500 Gun and Knife Show at the State Fairgrounds was accidentally shot when his gun discharged Saturday afternoon.

RougeUnderoos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to RougeUnderoos For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2013, 06:21 PM   #498
jayswin
Celebrated Square Root Day

Exp:

Quote:
Yes, when the asshat makes buying a certain size soda illegal...
lol, soda.
jayswin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jayswin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2013, 06:51 PM   #499
afc wimbledon
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

look I'm not saying there will be a civil war but what I am saying is that if the government has nothing to fear except not getting votes (especially our corrupt ass system) then they will do whatever they want. So lets say your dad was a great man, he commanded respect and would spank your backside if you did something wrong and that gave you the fear and respected him as the true authority. Now say your dad is a big puss that lets you walk all over him and doesn't do a dang thing about it, you would continue to do it because you have no fear from that man of doing anything to keep you in line.

Terrible argument and I'm sure someone will come in with some Pavlov or Freude stuff and blah blah blah this x country doesn't have guns and they don't have their government doing whatever they want to them... Crap
A tyranical goverment doesn't fear fat middle aged rednecks with guns, that's their power base, in fact if you want to keep the US compliant with absolutly anything, random invasions, evesdropping on any and all citizens without a warrent, unsactioned killings of citizens via predator, imprisonment without trial in some cuban craphole etc then just leave the aforementioned fat stupid rednecks with their guns and the dumb #######s will think they are free.

Hell you can get the dumb sons of bitches to go along with anything if you use the twin levers of racism and guns.

Last edited by afc wimbledon; 01-19-2013 at 06:54 PM.
afc wimbledon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 07:04 PM   #500
Minnie
Franchise Player

Exp:

Spoiler!
Minnie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Minnie For This Useful Post: