Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #4161
VANFLAMESFAN
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by opendoor View Post
The guy is a joke who in an effort to further his career has tried to cast himself as a controversial "hold no punches" kind of analyst. He basically just says stuff to try and generate controversy but comes out looking like an idiot.
Botchford is a very confrontational guy. He likes to debate, he loves it actually, so it comes as no surprise to me that he likes to stir the pot with his writing. Either you like that kind of thing or you don't, that's up to you, but i can tell you that his writing style is not out of his character.

Special thanks to Dion for making my new sig.
VANFLAMESFAN is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to VANFLAMESFAN For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2012, 04:25 PM   #4162
CaptainCrunch
Norm!

Exp:

Well lets hope he understands playoff hockey better then his brother does.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:26 PM   #4163
skins
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Topical joke: What do the Vancouver Canucks and the Titanic have in common?

Spoiler!
Old 04-17-2012, 04:30 PM   #4164
zamler
Franchise Player

Exp:

At least the Titanic didn't go down on purpose.
zamler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:32 PM   #4165
diane_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Found this interesting from Yahoo for the people saying Hodgson may make some sort of difference this series

Quote:
He was fully aware, from the outset of this season that, at this point in time, Cody Hodgson could only thrive with extremely sheltered minutes, and when he created an environment in which Hodgson thrived, he was panned for failing to give the rookie more icetime, as though Hodgson was succeeding in spite of him.
Any sage coach could see that Hodgson, who was on the ice for 40% of Buffalo's goals against after the trade, was an exploitable, defensive liability. But Vigneault was panned for being that sage coach.
Full article here http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-pu...medium=twitter

it's basically the opposite of the drivel Gallagher put out that AV should be fired
diane_phaneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:34 PM   #4166
Flash Walken
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
The guy is a joke who in an effort to further his career has tried to cast himself as a controversial "hold no punches" kind of analyst. He basically just says stuff to try and generate controversy but comes out looking like an idiot.
But it's gotten him on TSN...
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:35 PM   #4167
Flash Walken
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Found this interesting from Yahoo for the people saying Hodgson may make some sort of difference this series

it's basically the opposite of the drivel Gallagher put out that AV should be fired
Do minutes get any more sheltered than Kassians?
Old 04-17-2012, 04:36 PM   #4168
the2bears
#1 Goaltender

Exp:

Quote:

Thyme will tell I guess.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:43 PM   #4169
Locke
ness Monster

Exp:

Quote:
So basically a new Dowbiggen. I guess ol' doughboy's shot at a job in Vancouver is well and truly dead. Sorry Bruce, the position has been filled.

-Killer Sig Courtesy of ATR

- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 04:52 PM   #4170
Hilch
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by squiggs96 View Post
Jason Botchford (@botchford) is a hack that writes for the Vancouver Province. He is still bitter about the @LAKings "you're welcome" tweet. After game three he posted something about 'To LA. You're welcome for all of us filling up your stadium with canuck fans', or something close to that effect. I'm not sure why he was bringing that up when they couldn't fill their own seats.
The best part of that is he actually stole that line. It was on a sign outside the Staples Center during the Kings practice. I love when people tweet something that they stole from another tweet or somewhere else thinking they are so clever.

Also it would be a lot funnier if the Kings didn't have 100% attendace for the whole 2011-12 season. But let's not let facts get in the way of stupidity.
A lot of character Hemsky has shown. He could have easily got a long term UFA contract. He knows what's brewing up here and wants to be a part of it. It can be contagious.
Hilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:06 PM   #4171
FlamesFanInVan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

The list of credible Vancouver sports reporters begins and ends with Barry MacDonald.
Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 PM   #4172
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Send a message via AIM to Ice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilch View Post
The best part of that is he actually stole that line. It was on a sign outside the Staples Center during the Kings practice. I love when people tweet something that they stole from another tweet or somewhere else thinking they are so clever.

Also it would be a lot funnier if the Kings didn't have 100% attendace for the whole 2011-12 season. But let's not let facts get in the way of stupidity.
It would be a lot funnier if the Canucks fans on Sunday made up more than 10% of the crowd. They were not out in their normal numbers. It was lovely.
Ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:22 PM   #4173
HPLovecraft
Took an arrow to the knee

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice View Post
It would be a lot funnier if the Canucks fans on Sunday made up more than 10% of the crowd. They were not out in their normal numbers. It was lovely.
Is Quick not wearing any socks in that picture?
Old 04-17-2012, 06:12 PM   #4174
Ice
#1 Goaltender

Exp:
Send a message via AIM to Ice

Didn't look that closely at it. it doesn't appear so but I don't know. Random fact, Jason Labarbera wears fleece sweatpants under his pads instead of socks.

Sutter was GRUMPY today. The players got a fair bit of yelling directed at them. Lots of F-bombs dropped about making better passes, making better decisions, making safe plays, etc. I couldn't tell if he was pissed or just really trying to get them to pay attention. Serious business today. Not a lot of smiling and laughing. Lots of hard work, especially after the profanity laced monologue.
Ice is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:21 PM   #4175
diane_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Do minutes get any more sheltered than Kassians?
I have no clue I just thought the quote/stats were interesting

I always thought his offensive stats were a little improved by playing sheltered minutes but I didn't realize how much of a defensive liability he was in Buffalo
Old 04-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #4176
CGY12
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
I have no clue I just thought the quote/stats were interesting

I always thought his offensive stats were a little improved by playing sheltered minutes but I didn't realize how much of a defensive liability he was in Buffalo
The guy got traded there at the deadline. Maybe it might have something to do with adjusting to a new system and new teammates??

I think you should hold off on that assumption till we see what he does next year with the Sabres, just a thought
CGY12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 06:43 PM   #4177
diane_phaneuf
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGY12 View Post
The guy got traded there at the deadline. Maybe it might have something to do with adjusting to a new system and new teammates??

I think you should hold off on that assumption till we see what he does next year with the Sabres, just a thought
that's why I said 'was' not 'is going to be for his entire career'

not declaring victory in the trade either, but going after Pahllson now makes a lot more sense if AV didn't trust him (and the stats backed him up it seems)
Old 04-17-2012, 07:27 PM   #4178
Flash Walken
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
that's why I said 'was' not 'is going to be for his entire career'

not declaring victory in the trade either, but going after Pahllson now makes a lot more sense if AV didn't trust him (and the stats backed him up it seems)
despite the argument to the contrary adding Pahlsson doesn't require moving Hodgson.

If the problem was sheltering Hodgson in the playoffs, you give him the minutes AV is using to shelter Kassian right now and give Pahlsson the 'tough' minutes.

I don't see the reason for the timing of that deal unless Hodgson personally was a problem in the room, which no one seems to believe. In that context, it's a bad trade right now.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:30 PM   #4179
Pierre "Monster" McGuire
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

This a legitimate alternative view. I hate to give Vigneault the benefit of the doubt, but this is definitely a valid argument supported by solid facts. I don't see what's so wrong about it.

I think it just further demonstrates how bad this trade was and I think will turn out to be.
Old 04-17-2012, 07:31 PM   #4180
HOOT
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:

Why does AV, Gillis or the Vancouver Canusk care about what the fans think of his time on ice?

Hodgson was 10th in forwards for TOI, yet he was on pace to be top 5 in scoring and plus/minus. You can't compare his Buffalo numbers to what he brought to Vancouver because he is playing 50% more ice time and it was a team that didn't make the playoffS, not one winning the Presidents' Trophy.

Again I don't want to make him out to be a savior but it's hard not to look at the drop of .77 goals/g after the trade deadline as Kassian has brought all of 4pts since joining the Canucks and is currently playing 5 minutes a night. And how the team was on pace for 6th, maybe 7th, in the West after the deadline. They took a team who was one win away from the Cup to trying to piece together a few pieces that aren't what they gave up.

Hodgson > Kassian + Pahlsson
HOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to HOOT For This Useful Post: