Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 04-13-2012, 09:44 PM   #201
H2SO4(aq)
First Line Centre

Exp:

sorry if this is a dumb question, but who is Lanny? very unaware..
H2SO4(aq) is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to H2SO4(aq) For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 10:03 PM   #202
dammage79
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4(aq) View Post
Not sure if sarcastic. Lanny MacDonald:Captain of the Flames when they won the cup.
dammage79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 10:30 PM   #203
stamped05
Draft Pick

I have to correct you. Lanny McDonald "Co-captain" of the 89 champion Flames
stamped05 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to stamped05 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2012, 11:08 PM   #204
CSharp
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Notorious Honey Badger View Post
Maybe now that someone like Lanny has said this people will get on board more. Great stuff from Lanny.

To be clear he wasn't blaming them, just stating the obvious that
1) Kipper masked the Flames problems this year and management should have know better
2) Keeping the players the same is spinning your wheels.
Actually, nothing masked the problems of the team more than the fact that Calgarians has had so much money since that boom after 2004. Let's face it, no one has put their money where their mouth is. We keep complaining about the same thing year in and year out, Sutter kept spending more and more money on the defence rather than rectifying the centerman problem, and yet the seats kept filling up even with ticket price increases. So, who's fault is that really?
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:15 AM   #205
N-E-B
Scoring Winger

Exp:

I don't think you would get as much as you'd think for Iggy. He's 34 and really only provides you with 30G 60-70Pts and doesn't have a great contract. You won't get a top prospect or a top 10 pick for him. At best, maybe a low low low 1st rounder. Kipper could bring in a huge return IF he is traded to the right team.
N-E-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 01:26 AM   #206
P-DAZZLE
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaydub74 View Post
He actually did on Flames TV a couple years back.
In that case. Kudos. Still stand by what I said. The future is not easy to predict. If Lanny can do it, maybe he should be advising the GM.
P-DAZZLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:12 AM   #207
MrMastodonFarm
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Is this a serious question?

MrMastodonFarm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MrMastodonFarm For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 07:38 AM   #208
CliffFletcher
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-DAZZLE View Post
In that case. Kudos. Still stand by what I said. The future is not easy to predict. If Lanny can do it, maybe he should be advising the GM.
Actually, it's not to hard to get a handle on how a team will do in the future; just look at the age of the core.

In the NHL today, teams live and die by the draft. Once it became apparent the Flames didn't have any top-flight young talent in the 19-25 range, and its two best players were approaching their mid-30s, a long-term decline was very likely.
CliffFletcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:07 AM   #209
Cleveland Steam Whistle
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Textcritic View Post
Who said that Crosby would replace Malkin in this hypothetical argument? Without Malkin, and under identical circumstances in which Crosby played in only 22-games this past season, t is very conceivable that the Penguins struggle to make the playoffs.
No one said it, but if the point was the Pens wouldn't have made the playoffs with out their 2 best players, as a comparitor to the Kipper comments and Calgary, then it was simply a stupid comparison / point being made by the poster who made it.

I was simply given the poster the benefit of the doubt that his point wasn't completely idiotic, and I think that was probably the right call.
Cleveland Steam Whistle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:36 AM   #210
icecube
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
You might be more clueless than this kid...

icecube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:14 AM   #211
P-DAZZLE
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobDoupe View Post
Actually, it's not to hard to get a handle on how a team will do in the future; just look at the age of the core.

In the NHL today, teams live and die by the draft. Once it became apparent the Flames didn't have any top-flight young talent in the 19-25 range, and its two best players were approaching their mid-30s, a long-term decline was very likely.
Well I was talking about the general optimism towards the team three years ago and then two years ago. Because that is the time period this consideration would be taking into account.
I don't remember a lot of people thinking the team would be terrible when the season started three years ago. A lot of people talking about Stanley Cups and Norris trophies for Bouwmeester. Two years ago, perhaps the writing was on the wall, but I still don't think anyone can sit there and say they know exactly what will happen.
P-DAZZLE is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #212
Flash Walken
Franchise Player

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-DAZZLE View Post
Well I was talking about the general optimism towards the team three years ago and then two years ago. Because that is the time period this consideration would be taking into account.
I don't remember a lot of people thinking the team would be terrible when the season started three years ago. A lot of people talking about Stanley Cups and Norris trophies for Bouwmeester. Two years ago, perhaps the writing was on the wall, but I still don't think anyone can sit there and say they know exactly what will happen.
Just read my signature.

There was more than a vocal minority of posters who saw this outcome as entirely predictable.
Flash Walken is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flash Walken For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #213
Lanny'sDaMan
Powerplay Quarterback

Location: Apparently, on a mighty High Horse. *shrug* Who knew cheering for the Flames to win was bad?
Exp:
Send a message via ICQ to Lanny'sDaMan Send a message via Skype™ to Lanny'sDaMan

Quote:
I repeat:

Ahem.
Lanny'sDaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:28 AM   #214
Badgers Nose
First Line Centre

Exp:

Lanny is the smartest guy he knows. Always will be. He was lucky he ended his career in Calgary, not the other way around.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Badgers Nose For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2012, 11:34 AM   #215
Badgers Nose
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSharp View Post
Actually, nothing masked the problems of the team more than the fact that Calgarians has had so much money since that boom after 2004. Let's face it, no one has put their money where their mouth is. We keep complaining about the same thing year in and year out, Sutter kept spending more and more money on the defence rather than rectifying the centerman problem, and yet the seats kept filling up even with ticket price increases. So, who's fault is that really?
Good thing ticket buyers are smarter than you and understand that their purchase entitles them to an entertaining hockey game and that is all.

No one can fault the Flames for trying. They spent a lot of money building a winner and it was not good enough. Championships are not guaranteed.

As long as they keep trying the dome will be full. In the old days of save our flames they had hardly any stars.
Badgers Nose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:52 AM   #216
Saqe
Powerplay Quarterback

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers Nose View Post
Good thing ticket buyers are smarter than you and understand that their purchase entitles them to an entertaining hockey game and that is all.

No one can fault the Flames for trying. They spent a lot of money building a winner and it was not good enough. Championships are not guaranteed.

As long as they keep trying the dome will be full. In the old days of save our flames they had hardly any stars.
Should we congratulate them for being able to spend a lot of money? But youīre right, stupidity isnīt a crime but incompetence sure isnīt fun to watch.
Saqe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #217
Sylvanfan
Appealing my suspension

Exp:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flash Walken View Post
Just read my signature.

There was more than a vocal minority of posters who saw this outcome as entirely predictable.
Maybe, but Lanny's claim to move those players out at the deadline is full of holes. That's where I give him zero credit.

The team needed change, but the time to make major change a team is in the offseason when enough time and thought has been put into the evaluations and some of the emotion has been removed from the process. Unless a team is selling pending UFA's or toxic contracts, the deadline is not the best time to make deals. Especially for players like Iginla, or Kiprusoff. Really the whole issue started with the Jokinen deal the year before. After that they made deals in 2010 looking desperate to make the playoffs, and teams making that many trades for that reason almost always end up with buyers remorse down the road.

If the Flames play out the 09-10 season with the roster they had, make some tough evaluations and move out a couple players than to try and get younger, they certainly are in much better shape today.

They should have altered their course than....today they absolutely need to, but sadly it appears that they're not seeing it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sylvanfan For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2012, 12:15 AM   #218
CSharp
First Line Centre

Exp:

Quote:
You're entitled to your opinion on the entertaining hockey. For the better part of the last two seasons, Sutter hockey was not at all very entertaining. I lost count of how many times I snoozed off at the game or on my couch. I can understand that it probably wouldn't hurt any corporate oil & gas companies to buy like 80-90% of the season tickets as accounting write-offs and entertain their employees to watch the games. It's those 10-20% that pay out anywhere from $25 for nosebleed seats where you can hardly make out who's who to those $300+ seats which are pretty nice seating areas. If I was to pay that kind of money for snoozers, plus another $50 to $100+ for food and drinks, cripes I could've gone to the bar and pay for 20 of my friends and have an even better time or stayed home and invited a few good friends over to watch and biatch at Sutter for his coaching tactics.

Quote:
Yup, I've supported the Flames since they've arrived in town. I've never called for them to blow-it-up and never will cry out to trade Iggy for Schenn or Kipper for who knows what.

Quote:
If they blow-it-up and/or trade Iggy and Kipper, who are the stars on the Flames team - JBo, Baetschi? How about Comeau? Unless if the Flames gets an absolutely amazing deal that will help the team now and for the future, why even trade the only two stars that we still have? And this is the point I'm trying to make is that in the Young Guns era, there were potential stars that didn't even pan out. The only one that did is still with this team. And the other one that got away, he (St Louis) won the Hart trophy later on. If the Flames goes through that era again, I don't think the Dome (or whatever the stadium that the Flames plays under) will get filled. And if that ever happened for a long period of time again, you will see empty seats in the arena again. I don't think the owners will want to go through that again. I don't as well.

The post I made before was a bit contradictory and I did that with a purpose. I just wanted to make a point about those who wanted to blow up the team just for the sake of seeing new prospects making the team. I guess if these fans who play fantasy hockey on their gaming consoles would attest that this strategy works, but they forget to realize those aren't real life situations in a simulated world. And my final point is, if Lanny was absolutely right, he would've been the GM of the Flames a long time ago.
CSharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 03:02 AM   #219
Where ru Chris O'Sullivan
Scoring Winger

Exp:

Random thoughts at 3am.

I respect Lanny, he has a ring, our only ever ring. This organization was good to him, I remember vividly our 3 captains/assistant captains sharing 2 sets of Pajamas throughout the post-season run. People want to question Iggy's leadership, question how much you respect someone giving you a pre-game "lets go get 'em boys" and while your heading on the ice, their taking the elevator...

Iggy and Kipper are likely the last 2 guys for this century, worth letting decide their own fates with this franchise. 2 games into this post season, the only 2 teams up 2-0 are the underdogs...
Old 04-15-2012, 03:08 AM   #220
expatflame
Formerly FlamesFaninChina

Exp:

Quote:
You know the chemical formula for sulfuric acid yet don't know one of the most iconic players ever to play for the Flames?
expatflame is offline   Reply With Quote