Calgarypuck Forums - The Unofficial Calgary Flames Fan Community
Old 03-24-2012, 03:02 PM   #1301
The Big Chill
First Line Centre
 
The Big Chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
also, Liverpool fans would know this best

is Kenny there next year? his record is no better than Woy's (outside the cup win) and he said today they need to spend more money (after 115m pounds this summer)

does he need an FA cup win to keep a job?

it's a tough call because of his status with the club, because I think anyone else is gone
I'm not sure what will happen with Kenny. The team is hitting rock bottom here the last few weeks, so it has to be pretty hard to justify bringing him back. On the other hand, its hard to blame the manager when the team just stops playing after they get a 2-0 lead. The deciding factor may be the lack of production that Kenny has gotten out of his transfers. There has been a lot of money spent and no progress made. Nobody could reasonably have expected him to turn us into a contender by now, but fighting for a Champs league spot had to have been a minimum expectation.

Just as an interesting aside, fans on the Liverpool forums are talking about bringing Rafa back. There are no rumors backing up this talk, its just banter between fans, but it is kind of interesting. Personally I don't like the idea of going back to previous managers, but Rafa did do very well here until Hicks and Gillette gave him no money at all for transfers.
__________________
The Big Chill is offline  
Old 03-24-2012, 03:10 PM   #1302
Barnet Flame
First Line Centre
 
Barnet Flame's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Barnet - North London
Exp:
Default

Barnet Flame is offline  
Old 03-25-2012, 03:29 AM   #1303
Jimmy Krack Korn
And I Don't Care...
 
Jimmy Krack Korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The land of the eternally hopeful
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Big Chill View Post
I'm not sure what will happen with Kenny. The team is hitting rock bottom here the last few weeks, so it has to be pretty hard to justify bringing him back. On the other hand, its hard to blame the manager when the team just stops playing after they get a 2-0 lead. The deciding factor may be the lack of production that Kenny has gotten out of his transfers. There has been a lot of money spent and no progress made. Nobody could reasonably have expected him to turn us into a contender by now, but fighting for a Champs league spot had to have been a minimum expectation.

Just as an interesting aside, fans on the Liverpool forums are talking about bringing Rafa back. There are no rumors backing up this talk, its just banter between fans, but it is kind of interesting. Personally I don't like the idea of going back to previous managers, but Rafa did do very well here until Hicks and Gillette gave him no money at all for transfers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
also, Liverpool fans would know this best

is Kenny there next year? his record is no better than Woy's (outside the cup win) and he said today they need to spend more money (after 115m pounds this summer)

does he need an FA cup win to keep a job?

it's a tough call because of his status with the club, because I think anyone else is gone
Last season, Kenny was looking like a savior. It's completely unravelled this season. Paying 35 million pounds for Andy Carroll, given his subsequent performance, is reason enough for me to let him go. But it goes way beyond that. The paltry amount of playing time Maxi has had this season is tragic, given that he has done nothing but score or set up goals every time he's played. He will leave this off season, no doubt.

Downing, Henderson? What have they brought? Piss all in my estimation. Letting Mereiles go was a mistake. Kuyt being on the bench for most games (playing Carroll instead in a vain attempt to justify the obscene amount of cash paid for him)? Yep. Another mistake by the king.

Bringing in an ever aging but still effective Craig Bellamy has been a pretty good move, I guess.

I hate to say it, But Kenny's gotta be punted.
__________________

Last edited by Jimmy Krack Korn; 03-25-2012 at 03:31 AM. Reason: Spelling
Jimmy Krack Korn is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Krack Korn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2012, 09:33 AM   #1304
The Big Chill
First Line Centre
 
The Big Chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

It's great to say he should be out, but who would be a better replacement? I'm open to this discussion about Kenny, but some of those points you made I don't agree with. Maxi sucks and I wouldn't play him either, plus he was injured for a while and not available for selection, Miereles requested a transfer, and Kuyt has played in pretty much every game this year. Your other points are very valid though as his transfers have almost all been flops thus far.
__________________
The Big Chill is offline  
Old 03-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #1305
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback
 
TopChed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Exp:
Default

Most of this recent stuff should probably be in the LFC thread, but one thing I hate seeing constantly brought up is the transfer fee that was paid for these players, especially Carroll.

How many £35 million strikers are only making 80k/week? Carroll is not, and never will be, worth that much again. It was a perfect storm that led to his fee being so high. He was 22, English, scoring goals at a decent rate and had other suitors. Oh, and he was bought with only hours remaining in the transfer window by new owners who would have been slaughtered in the press had they not done anything to replace their prolific striker who was sold for such a high fee.

Last edited by TopChed; 03-25-2012 at 04:30 PM.
TopChed is online now  
Old 03-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #1306
Bagor
Franchise Player
 
Bagor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Spartanville
Exp:
Default

He should be gone and his status at the club should have nothing to do with the decision. Who cares who would take over, the priority should be to stop the bleeding first.

Case in point see Celtic and how quick they were to get rid of him after that (aptly named) Scheidt fiasco which for me was a proven case that he is questionably incapable of making major lucid footballing decisions.
__________________


Bagor is offline  
Old 03-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #1307
The Big Chill
First Line Centre
 
The Big Chill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagor View Post
He should be gone and his status at the club should have nothing to do with the decision. Who cares who would take over, the priority should be to stop the bleeding first.

Case in point see Celtic and how quick they were to get rid of him after that (aptly named) Scheidt fiasco which for me was a proven case that he is questionably incapable of making major lucid footballing decisions.
I think everybody would care who would take over. The point is to get better. If there is a better option out there then great, make it happen. If not, then we might as well stick with it and keep trying. Change just for the sake of change is not necessarily a good thing.
__________________
The Big Chill is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 05:10 PM   #1308
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Poor Arsenal. First Podolski backs out by trying to engineer a move to Lazio and now this:

Quote:
Borussia Dortmund have been handed a huge boost as star midfielder Mario Gotze has signed a new contract with the club until 2016.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...d-deal?cc=5901
__________________

-Killer Sig Courtesy of ATR

- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is offline  
Old 03-27-2012, 06:02 PM   #1309
diane_phaneuf
Franchise Player
 
diane_phaneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Exp:
Default

think that may be just to get Dortmund more money when they do sell him next summer

don't think it's to Arsenal though, he's so highly thought of someone will outspend them easily

I would say the perception is he's 2nd behind Neymar right now in terms of u21 players
diane_phaneuf is offline  
Old 03-28-2012, 01:20 AM   #1310
Jimmy Krack Korn
And I Don't Care...
 
Jimmy Krack Korn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: The land of the eternally hopeful
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopChed View Post
Most of this recent stuff should probably be in the LFC thread, but one thing I hate seeing constantly brought up is the transfer fee that was paid for these players, especially Carroll.

How many £35 million strikers are only making 80k/week? Carroll is not, and never will be, worth that much again. It was a perfect storm that led to his fee being so high. He was 22, English, scoring goals at a decent rate and had other suitors. Oh, and he was bought with only hours remaining in the transfer window by new owners who would have been slaughtered in the press had they not done anything to replace their prolific striker who was sold for such a high fee.
Carroll was a poor buy. Period.
__________________
Jimmy Krack Korn is online now  
The Following User Says Thank You to Jimmy Krack Korn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2012, 07:02 PM   #1311
Cactus Jack
First Line Centre
 
Cactus Jack's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
think that may be just to get Dortmund more money when they do sell him next summer

don't think it's to Arsenal though, he's so highly thought of someone will outspend them easily

I would say the perception is he's 2nd behind Neymar right now in terms of u21 players
Living in brazil, I'm more inclined to believe Neimar will be the next Robinho instead of Ronaldo. He lacks the desire, IMO. The only one I really like is the younger Lucas from Sao Paulo FC. Fantastic! Great pace, endurance, drive, one on one moves and can play a few positions
__________________
Resident beer snob
Cactus Jack is offline  
Old 03-31-2012, 08:23 AM   #1312
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Stiliyan Petrov is diagnosed with acute leukemia and retires from soccer:

Quote:
Aston Villa captain Stiliyan Petrov has announced his decision to retire from the game as he fights against acute leukaemia.
http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...otball?cc=5901
__________________

-Killer Sig Courtesy of ATR

- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is offline  
Old 03-31-2012, 09:21 AM   #1313
Bagor
Franchise Player
 
Bagor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Spartanville
Exp:
Default

City in a huge hole after 55 mins. Sunderland are good value for 3-1.

Tevez just on for last 30 mins.
__________________


Bagor is offline  
Old 03-31-2012, 09:49 AM   #1314
Bagor
Franchise Player
 
Bagor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Spartanville
Exp:
Default

2 goals in a minute after not really threatening .... 3-3.

Hold on Cats.
__________________


Bagor is offline  
Old 03-31-2012, 01:13 PM   #1315
TopChed
Powerplay Quarterback
 
TopChed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Krack Korn View Post
Carroll was a poor buy. Period.
Agreed. I just don't want his price tag to enter into the discussion nearly as much as it does.
TopChed is online now  
Old 03-31-2012, 01:43 PM   #1316
diane_phaneuf
Franchise Player
 
diane_phaneuf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Locke View Post
Stiliyan Petrov is diagnosed with acute leukemia and retires from soccer:

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/st...otball?cc=5901
Hope he pulls through, always seemed like one of the good guys and most of the stuff that has been written about him in the last week confirms it
diane_phaneuf is offline  
Old 03-31-2012, 02:04 PM   #1317
Locke
ness Monster
 
Locke's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Income Tax Central
Exp:
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by diane_phaneuf View Post
Hope he pulls through, always seemed like one of the good guys and most of the stuff that has been written about him in the last week confirms it
He does seem like one of the good ones, I've always been impressed with him as a player. I hope he beats this thing, but I understand that its a serious condition that made his choice to retire from the game really no choice at all.
__________________

-Killer Sig Courtesy of ATR

- "Somebody may beat me, but they're going to have to bleed to do it."
- Steve Prefontaine
Locke is offline  
Old 04-01-2012, 05:02 PM   #1318
Bagor
Franchise Player
 
Bagor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Spartanville
Exp:
Default

Busy day today.

Dive, headbutt, red card, temper tantrum at being substituted and the captain telling the manager to get off the pitch.

As busy as a city freekick.

__________________


Bagor is offline  
Old 04-05-2012, 10:10 AM   #1319
DeanOMac
Scoring Winger
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Exp:
Default

Tottenham tied for 3rd now with a much easier remaining schedule. Arsenal need a result against City after blowing it against QPR.

Updated schedule analysis for the CL qualification run-in:

Arsenal
Games 7
Home 4
Away 3
Average League Position 12.14
Average Opposition Points 41

Tottenham
Games 7
Home 3
Away 4
Average League Position 13.86
Average Opposition Points 33.86

Chelsea
Games 7
Home 4
Away 3
Average League Position 11.57
Average Opposition Points 39.43

Newcastle
Games 7
Home 3
Away 4
Avg Opp.League Position 10.43
Avg Opp. Points 43.00
__________________
"Her girlfriend took her off to see the St Johnís Ambulancemen; I, meanwhile, did nothing, apart from pray for an equaliser, which came, followed minutes later by a winner. It was only after the players had popped the last champagne cork at the jubilant crowd that I started to feel bad about my earlier indifference." - Fever Pitch by Nick Hornby
DeanOMac is offline  
The Following User Says Thank You to DeanOMac For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2012, 08:28 AM   #1320
Bagor
Franchise Player
 
Bagor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Spartanville
Exp:
Default

Bad weekend for linesmen.

Ref handed that one to United. Penalty, and red card on a dive from an offside non goalscoring position.

City need to win or the league is over.
__________________



Last edited by Bagor; 04-08-2012 at 08:32 AM.
Bagor is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:41 PM.

Calgary Flames
2014-15
CP Chat!

CPRadio

2014-15 Regular Season:





Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright Calgarypuck 2009